• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Belt installtion tip that no one has mentioned

I
Oct 10, 2009
SLC, UT
Just finished my first belt swap. I struggled with just about every step of this, maybe my spring is really tight or something but I found it so hard to move the "moveable" sheave. Maybe it was just sticking because sometimes it would move ok, others I literally couldn't move it a mm. Anyway, finally got my belt off and went to put the new one on. After a few tries I got it on (starting at the top, tried from the top and bottom) far enough so that it was really close, but I couldn't stretch it that last little bit and the sheaves weren't moving any more. After wrestling, twisting, pushing, pulling, and tugging with all my might for what felt like hours I got an idea... took off the parking brake, had my buddy come push the sled backwards as I twisted the entire seconday clockwise and the belt EFFORTLESSLY fell into place.

I'm aware this wouldn't work so well when stuck in 6 feet of snow, but it works like a charm on nice solid ground.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho
Yep, depending on the secondary spring it can be a challenge at best.

It really takes a bit of practice to get the body position just right to push in on the secondary center and give it a twist to open it up. I always put the belt on the top first. Then when pushing and twisting, push the belt down into the secondary to hold it open. Then run it around.

Thanks for your idea. Anything that works and makes it easier.

Thunder

Reeb

Modding mini's
Lifetime Membership
Jul 5, 2001
Twin Rivers
www.robinsms.com
Too funny. Push in with right hand, take left hand and twist the sheave up and open. Little more pressure on the right hand and you shouldn't have a problem. What are you running for a spring? Sounds easy but even mine, I need a wall or another stationary object to lean against to get mine off. Or yank up right between the clutches, pull on that belt with everything you got, should also open the sec. sheaves up a bit, enough to walk the belt out.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
on the 09 and newer with engine reverse you can't push and twist sheves to get it open. the older helix help put leverage on it to make it possible. on the new ones its easiest to pull the bolt out, flip the end cap over and run the bolt back in. it will open the sheeves and its easy.

KMMAC

Lifetime Membership
Feb 7, 2008
Mount Vernon, WA
1M's gear down go lighter secondary spring. I used to push the clutch open with my right hand and pull the belt with my left.

Nov 26, 2007
Wisconsin
on the 09 and newer with engine reverse you can't push and twist sheves to get it open. the older helix help put leverage on it to make it possible. on the new ones its easiest to pull the bolt out, flip the end cap over and run the bolt back in. it will open the sheeves and its easy.

THANK YOU!! I read about this little trick last year. It should be printed in the clutch guard it makes it so easy.

I
Oct 10, 2009
SLC, UT
1M's gear down go lighter secondary spring. I used to push the clutch open with my right hand and pull the belt with my left.

Lighter spring huh? That sounds great, how does it affect the performance? I don't know anything about clutching or any mods like that because I don't plan on tempting myself by looking into mods since I could barely afford the sled. But a spring sounds pretty cheap and I sure would like to be able to replace my belt easier.

A

Arctic Thunder

Dec 7, 2001
Lewiston, Idaho

This was posted in the 1M 02-05 section. I assumed it was the older style roller secondary.

Right?

Thunder

A

aktreekiller

Dec 16, 2008
Anchorage, Ak
hey

Changing the belt on a 09 is really easy. I found my razor knife neatly jammed in the belt against the foot well on my last ride, and it was fun getting that out of there.

M
Mar 7, 2008
04 MC's - replace belt starting on bottom works for me. I can replace it starting at top only with the 'friend pushes the sled' technique and that ain't working when the belt goes while throttling out of deep powder!

Nov 26, 2007
Kent,Wa.
I ride a kingcat.......

I have no problems changing belts. I don't know about the M's. But it is more technique than strength. I set the parking brake, wrap the belt as far as you can get it, with my left hand I push down on the belt, with my right I push in on the center section of the secondary. After the belt is in the sheaves, I turn it so the secondary can close back up to take the slack out. Good Luck -00's

Premium Features