• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

New Turbo Specific Reed Petals

Hey guys, we have finished testing our prototype reeds for 2-stroke turbo specific model applications. Like many of you we struggled with the frustrations of cracked, broken and missing petals under extreme boost levels and lean sneezes. Over the past few months we have done testing on a variety of materials including stainless steel, non-ferrious metals, and various fiber materials, thicknesses, including many other manufactures reeds.

Unfortunatelly, for our application we could not keep reed petals alive over 25psi of boost, which lead us on the quest for new durable materials and designs. I'm happy to say that we have put our new steel material reeds to the ultimate test of 36 psi of boost on our 2-stroke Yamaha Vmax-4 for over 10 dyno test runs @ Dynotech Research for a new horsepower record of 560.2 hp and 332 ft. lbs of torque. After further inspection the new petals are excellent in condition and our material has great memory for holding form.

So the good news for you boondocker riders and race purpose sleds that can't afford to be stuck with something as simple as a failed reed assembly there is a new option for you riders. We have finished with our Arctic Cat reeds in 2-petal and 4-petal designs, and running our first production of our Polaris twin version. The Cat reeds are being tested by Glenn Hall of D&D Racing and should be offered thru him after further testing. We are currently working on our Ski-Doo production reeds... hold tight we should have an alternative option for you gentleman as well. Not knocking anyones reed products, just another solid option for some of you to have regardless of who's turbo kit you operate, and one less reliability issue to worry about.

Thank you,
Justin Durand

Last edited:
Nov 27, 2007
when are you going to offer v-max 4 turbo's?? i have a pavement racer that needs 250-300 hp. prices and info???

james smids

The first production run of our patented new "steel" forced induction reeds for Polaris twins will be available in 2-weeks. These Polaris sets are already being spoken for very quickly. Also they will simply use the stock cage assemblies for mounting.

Our dyno proven results have shown "no" loss in power over stock reeds and are the only reed petals we have found and tested that can hold up run after run on high boost levels (25 psi +). We have worked with various thickness' of our material and hardness to create a reed that will give optimum throttle response and hold up to the stresses we experience with lean pops and boost levels.

Justin Durand

Just a quick update on our Polaris Twin "Steel" Turbo Reed Sets. Looks like the first production run will be finished mid-next week. I'm very happy with how this new petal design has worked out at this time.

I have eliminated the "stock" 4-petal design and converted to a 2-petal design which creates less fluctuations in the reed petal and creates further strength. The material thickness and design changes incorporated with the 2-petal design has allowed for a softer initial opening of the petal for good throttle response yet firming as the reed continues to open under forced induction...Good stuff! These Polaris Twin Reed Kits will not fit the larger cages of the Fusion models, however, those are in the works.

The price for a complete set of (4) petals for the Polaris Twins will be $150.00 + shipping

As for the Ski-Doo Turbo guys, I should have the XP Turbo Reed Sets ready to go for Christmas at the same price of $150.00 per set + shipping. I have some other reeds in works for other Ski-Doo models as well. Feel free to drop me a PM with your needs and request. I sure enjoy not spending an hour to swap broken petals and chewing up turbine wheels!

Take care guys,

Justin
Pro's Choice Power & Performance, LLC

Our forced-induction turbo reeds are now available and in stock for the Polaris Twin engines (except Fusion models, larger cages...coming soon!) We have been getting excellent feedback response from the sets we have out in the field with no failures or complaints :D.

As I said before the new Ski-Doo series will be coming from production soon for XP's and ect. I'd like to continue getting more feedback and head count from you guys on your model interest. Glenn Hall of D&D Racing has been quite busy with customers sleds lately (good problem) so for awhile at this time I have quantities of the Arctic Cat Twin reed kits available for your Cat Turbo riders, until Glenn gets caught up.

All Pro's Choice Power & Performance Reed Kits are $150.00 plus shipping. Feel free to continue either sending emails or PM's to my attention.

Take Care...Happy Riding!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Good to see outside of the box thinking...

Some questions though on metal reeds...

What happens if/when a steel reed Does come loose... what kind of engine damage will that cause??

Is this a stiffer reed and what effect does this have on the bottom end performance... any testing in this area... or is designed to be an "all out" max-boost turbo reed setup?

Last edited:
I have spent lots R&D time to work on the correct thickness' and actual design of these petals to prevent those throttle response issues. There is also alot more to our steel petals than just guessing a certain thickness of material to use and cutting out a reed petal.

Our particular grade of spring steel that we incorporate into our reed has great memory for returning to its original position and holding up to the exposure of excessive heat. Our petals have also proved that they can hold up to normal lean pops that crack or break typical fiber material.

As for the design concept and your question about throttle response. We use a somewhat thinner steel for faster initial opening of the petals, but the physical design features make the petal stiffer as it approches the stops. We have seen no loss in horsepower on the dyno and no complaints on throttle response issues in the field.

If a steel petal does break, then it is going to blow thru your exhaust system and chew up your turbine wheel and possibly bounce around in the combustion chamber...no different than if you have a piston failure. Our turbo reeds are not like the "old" stainless steel ZR700 and Phazer II reeds of the past, LOL!

I would strongly recommend to everyone that uses our reeds to inspect your petals yearly at the end of the riding season to monitor the condition of the petals.

I have built and designed these reeds not to advertise and push that they will give you a 3-5 h.p. gain over your stock reeds. But rather as a stronger alternative reed that won't leave you stranded with broke reed petals in the back country, won't break from a few lean pops, and will still holdup to excessive boost pressure (35 psi +). Its just another option to make everyones 2-stroke turbos more reliable when its needed and less wrenching, regardless whos kit you run.

Thank,

Justin
Pro's Choice Power & Performance

Last edited:
Just a quick update for the Turbo Arctic Cat "Twin" owners. D&D Racing is now taking your orders for the Arctic Cat Twins. You can also contact Glenn Hall directly at 715-205-2965.

We have your Turbo Polaris Replacement Reed Petals available in stock, ready to ship as well!

Take Care,

Justin Durand
Pro's Choice Power & Performance, LLC

Timbre

Premium Member
Nov 1, 2008
Southwestern Idaho
Anyone used these reeds?

Has anyone used these reeds yet in a boosted dragon? Curious to see how they are holding up.

M

Myzkoo

Sep 8, 2013
What happened here? Feedback? Is this the way to go per today?

Premium Features