• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Slide rails. Anodize or Powdercoat?

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
I have 162" Ice age rails and i would like to get them coated black. What is the best way to do it, Anodize or Powdercoat? Thanks Tyler

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
I like the black HARD anodize...really tuff finish, color anodizing looks better but wears/marks/scratches quick

Powder coat is my second choice...wrinkle semi flat black. Fabcraft uses this finish

xring60

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Aug 12, 2008
Mountains
Powder coat is definitely more durable than even Hard Black Anodize. But I like the look of Anodize better. I guess it looks more evenly distributed. The powder coat tends to look "Fat" because of the thickness that is applied with the powder, where as Hard Black Anodize only adds about .002" (which is about 1/2 the thickness of a standard sheet of notebook paper). Anodize will weigh less too!

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
It totally depends on the product, prep, and applicator skills as to what you get for look and durability. Snow/ice shedding performance depends on the product and the single critical issue is how smooth the surface is when you are done. Dents..bumps (hammer or wrinkle finish powders are the WORST PERFORMERS AVAILABLE)...grains...scratches all act as velcro for ice to adhere on..once it gets started it builds rapidly and quickly you are packing around a bunch of extra weight. You cannot believe how much ice weight we pack around during riding! You can minimize snow and ice holding and build-up by powder coating everything possible.

The only time hard anodize processes can even remotely compete with certain electrostatic powders is when the base metal is polished to a high shine...there are also different processes with anodizing that very durability and the ultimate performance of the parts in question.

Chapman

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Milford Ia
I've had my past two sets of rails powdercoated and they both seemed to hold up great, but I can't say good or bad about anodizing. Surface prep is the key to powdercoating.

gunnerthesnowman

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Red Deer , Alberta
Hi , talked to someone today that make a mtn. skid about this today , he said that the rails are heat tempered and if you get them powder coated they bake them in a oven and doing so take the temper out and the rail become soft and bends easy .

F-Bomb

SnoWest Paid Sponsor
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
South West Idaho
www.f-bombracing.com
I realize you are quoting someone else but they have no idea what they are talking about. So not shooting the messanger BUT.....

I've done over thirty sets now including several of my own. 100% we put more stress on suspension rails then 99% of the general riding public There have also been extensive military spec'd studies to show how much heat and chemical you have to put on the varieties of alloy to make performance changes. 400* at 20 minutes has no notable effect. We heat and coat thousands and thousands of Better Boards and also do compound stress pressure tests on our metal parts after all of our various treatment processes from chemical bath to heat. No bend rate change and our metal is a fraction of the ratio of a rail.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
I agree there is no way 400 deg is going to hurt the rail at all...

But I will also say that mil-spectype III hard coat anodize is amazing finish.. just take 2 parts one powder and 1 card coat and drag a nail point over them..you wont even begin to scratch the hard coat the powder ur in the aluminium. Then try drilling through the anodizing...oh use a bit u dont like..cause its toast. The biggest problem is that most people just color anodize, and thats a fragile finish. Type III hard coat is between 60-70 Rc,.002-.0035 thick and thats HARD and you dont have to polish it thats just for color anodizing.But it will look much better if u do. Ive used hardcoat for years and it is one tough finish. And if ur really into it you can hardcoat it and then powder coat over it.
But you better like it cause there are only a few places that can strip hardcoat without major damage to the metal..

for the sleds I like the powder coat..nice smooth easy and can be redone if needed.....imho and of course colors as hardcoat III is olive green or dark grey only no choices there.

D

Driveline

Nov 26, 2007
Michigan
I powder coated mine over two years ago. It has some wear but gosh does it clean up nice. Not like the grungy aluminum. I spray the whole suspension down with tire foam after I wash it. Sleds for sale---see it in the classifieds......Steve

IMG_1281.jpg

IMG_1282.jpg

IMG_1284.jpg

sled 2 004.jpg

sled 2 003.jpg

M

MTdream

Nov 28, 2007
Hi , talked to someone today that make a mtn. skid about this today , he said that the rails are heat tempered and if you get them powder coated they bake them in a oven and doing so take the temper out and the rail become soft and bends easy .

yeah ditto Rob on this...have your buddy study aluminum annealing...which BTW, requires temps around 700 degrees whereas powdercoating is generally baked under 450 degrees...

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Powder coat is definitely more durable than even Hard Black Anodize.

Not even close... Type 3 hard anodizing has a rockwell of C65 -C70... in comparison to a grade 8 bolt at C35-C38

The hardcoat Type III anodizing is the most durable of the two choices and equally less porous with an un-abraded powder coating.... thus shedding ice and snow in a similar fashion.

Powdercoating is only as good as the application process as F-Bomb points out... he has put WAY more research into this than most of us would dream of. The process that he uses is one of the most thorough that I've seen!

Good powdercoating and Type III are about a push on cost.

Powdercoating gives you color choices... Type III is only in black or shades of black.

The only time hard anodize processes can even remotely compete with certain electrostatic powders is when the base metal is polished to a high shine

True for decrative Type I or Type II ano.... not true for hard anodize...No polishing is needed... heck the Navy uses Type-III on their Arctic-bound ships and subs. specifically to inhibit ice buildup on deck mounted aluminum components.

Last edited:

roughrider99

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2008
Fernie,BC
just had my rails ano'ed and they look good but which there was more places to get it done. the place i got mine done at told my the hardcoat thing is a common myth, there is a harder clear anodize but any anodizing with colours are the same. i thought they were full of bs cause i did the research, but they were a pretty "simple operation". i will do ano again in the future as the colours look amazing with polish but getting a good place to do it is key for me.

Nytroty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Chaska, MN
just had my rails ano'ed and they look good but which there was more places to get it done. the place i got mine done at told my the hardcoat thing is a common myth, there is a harder clear anodize but any anodizing with colours are the same. i thought they were full of bs cause i did the research, but they were a pretty "simple operation". i will do ano again in the future as the colours look amazing with polish but getting a good place to do it is key for me.

Yep they are full of B.S. We use regular andodize as well as Hardcoat both in black and there is no comparisson. The regular anodize will scratch pretty easy. Noth the Hardcoat. No way. Thanks for all of the advice everyone still up in the air on what i want to do so keep the suggestions coming!

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Type III, HCA, or hardcoat anodize, generates the highest wear performance * generally Rockwell 60-70C, the smoothest surface, and the darkest coloring. Electrical insulation rating for hardcoat anodize is 800 V/mil. This lower-temperature process is the most versatile of anodize technologies. Highly recommended for 5000 through 7000 series alloys.

hardcoat-spread.jpg

Hard Coat Anodizing

Hard coat or hard anodizing (Type III) is similar to standard anodizing, (Type II) in as much as it also creates a film of aluminum oxide on the part. It is produced at colder temperatures and provides a surface that is harder, smoother, and more wear and corrosion resistant than standard anodizing.

Hard coat anodized films can also be grown to greater thickness, typically .002 inches or more.

Hardcoat finishes are typically darker in appearance than standard anodizing depending on the coating, thickness and alloy. A variety of colors are available on thinner coatings. Heavier coatings can be dyed black and some darker shades of color.
Benefits of Hardcoat Anodizing

• Wear Resistance
  • Corrosion Resistance
  • Appearance

Other links....

http://www.pioneermetal.com/finishes/hanodize.php

http://www.unitedplating.com/hard_coat.htm

C

coolx2

Nov 29, 2007
I have a question on powder coating. Is it true that where the bolts go through the rails they have a tendency to losen because the powder coating compresses causing the holes to oblong. I was told thats why articcat stop coating there rails.Thanks

J
Jul 8, 2008
phillips WI
I was talking to ice age guys at haydays, and they don't recomend powercoating rails because of the temper issue. That being said we have 2 2010 assault's with powercoated rails and one has bent rails, didn't remember hitting anything but i can't really blame the powdercoat temper thing. Talking to other pc experts, 425 degrees will change the temper. The ideal temp to powdercoat is 400, it is not uncommon to see hot spots in a baking oven, which is close to 425 degree critical temp

Premium Features