• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Reverse!!!! Binds clutch real bad??

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
so i have the 05 900, went rding for the first time yesterday..ran AWESOME...

then got about 15miles back, had to turn around in a tight spot..figured..REVERSE..HELL YEH..then engaged it..then started to go, it creeped back and then i heard clunk clunk..pulled panles off..the belt was slipping..and was "hung up" in the secondary..if i pryed the belt out the secondary would release then belt tension goes to normal..then would go fwd fine, then tried reverse again...same thing..secondary would grab it and not let go..

also, when idling, i can hear the primary making a slight clinking noise..but seemed to go away when rev'd up..or sound covered at least..but wasnt sure how to diagnose it..worn bushings? loose clutch? (its torque at 96lbs) weights hanging up??

ideas?? anyone..

thanks and have a great xmas everyone..

T

theultrarider

Nov 26, 2007
Soldotna Alaska
Sounds like you have an issue with your helix. Not all team helix's have the notch cut in them for reverse. Those that do are stamped with an "er" = electronic reverse. Now I have not personally experienced the next thing, but have heard that some of the ones with the cut, are not cut deep enough and will jump out of place allowing the secondary to opening up like yours is doing. So....check your helix to make sure it is in fact an "er" helix, and if it is, you may have to grind the grooves alittle deeper.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
rider...i will check it..i am pretty sure its an ER..funny i dont know 100%..i have spent more time on my wifes 700 then on my 900..

hers needed alot of work, and mine was just rebuild completely by tri-city when i bought it..so was ready to go..so havent gotten too deep into..i will check on ythe helix ramp..

any other ideas, or ideas on the primary clinking noise..

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
Which secondary do you have TSS-98 or TSS-04? My TSS-04 had this same problem and it also was a reverse Helix but it just didn't seem to like it funny thing is was that I had the same Helix on both of my 06 900's but only one did it. Might pull apart and check the Helix out.

C

CompFusion

Dec 10, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
rider...i will check it..i am pretty sure its an ER..funny i dont know 100%..i have spent more time on my wifes 700 then on my 900..

hers needed alot of work, and mine was just rebuild completely by tri-city when i bought it..so was ready to go..so havent gotten too deep into..i will check on ythe helix ramp..

any other ideas, or ideas on the primary clinking noise..

Put a new 720 helix in a Fuse just yesterday and had the same issue. Reverse notch not deep enough and allowed the secondary to open in reverse. Contacting Team to get it replaced after xmas.

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
binding!!

Which secondary do you have TSS-98 or TSS-04? My TSS-04 had this same problem and it also was a reverse Helix but it just didn't seem to like it funny thing is was that I had the same Helix on both of my 06 900's but only one did it. Might pull apart and check the Helix out.

i have the tss-98..my wifes 06 700 has the same one, diff helix but hers works fine..

Put a new 720 helix in a Fuse just yesterday and had the same issue. Reverse notch not deep enough and allowed the secondary to open in reverse. Contacting Team to get it replaced after xmas.

REALLY..i want to get the 719 kit..(66/44-42ER) so this is a good way to get it now..i will for sure get ahold of team and make sure they send me a good one..will be a few weeks before i can get the $$ for it though :(

same issue with my team helix. is team warrantying them?, also have the clinking noise at idle also, and i know my clutch is good so Ive never worried about it.

WOW!! must have been all on the fri night batch then. lol..i am sure they will cover them..thats a huge deal and should be covered at least..give them a shout for sure..

so the clinking is good then huh..i will keep an eye on it...want to send them to indydan for balance work..just need some extra $$..as we all do

thanks again guys..great help from some of the most reliable guys on here..

have a great xmas..i will keep you posted after we get out on fri and sat..:beer;

Premium Features