• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 M7 Primary Clutch

M
Dec 24, 2007
I have a 2006 M7 and I can't get the primary clutch off the crank. I've tried everything I can think of or want to try but to no avail. I've bent the clutch puller several times, tried a little heat, grease, air gun, pounded on the end of the puller.... Anyone have any suggestions? Is this a common problem for Arctic Cat? The clutch puller has such a small diameter on the end it bends really easy.

H

hardcore2

Feb 26, 2003
Cranbrook BC
They can be a bugger . put pressure on the puller and heat the center of the clutch . So far has ALMOST always worked .

S

SLEDIOT

Nov 27, 2007
Dawson Creek BC
Tip the sled on it side and pour any kind of oil in the side of the clutch then put your puller in and crank on it. The oil will actually help Hydraulic the clutch off. Use heat if necessary but be careful cuz you can burn out yer crank seals..........good luck

S

Shelfrost

Nov 28, 2007
Chetwynd, BC, Canada
Best method is to put some grease on the tip of the puller and tighten it up real good, then usually 1 good whack on the end and it should pop right off. Make sure you have a ton of tension on it.

B

Barrett

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 11, 2008
MB
HEAT the **** out of it, down on the shaft area, and after you torque the puller in as tight as you can, give the end of the puller a rap with a hammer.
ps grease the threads of the puller.

S

Schism

Nov 30, 2007
North Dakota
Water!

I have heard of guys tipping the sled on its side and pouring some water in the hole. Then wrap the threads of the clutch puller with teflon tape and screw it in as tight as you can. Now the tricky part :face-icon-small-sho.....leave the sled outside in below freezing temps and as the water expands as it freezes it will pop the clutch loose.

-Schism

M

mtn mike on boost

Nov 26, 2007
Woodinville,WA
are you putting the grease on the tip of the puller???thats where it needs to be, a nice big ball, then make sure it stays on the tip as you slide the puller in the primary. torque it down pretty good and a rap or two w/ a 3-5lber and she should pop.

76FOMOCO

Apr 18, 2007
Nampa, Idaho
I have heard of guys tipping the sled on its side and pouring some water in the hole. Then wrap the threads of the clutch puller with teflon tape and screw it in as tight as you can. Now the tricky part :face-icon-small-sho.....leave the sled outside in below freezing temps and as the water expands as it freezes it will pop the clutch loose.

-Schism

This works every time and you don't have to leave it out side or clean up oil!!! most of the time the clutch pops off with the puller only half way to the crank.

mrquick68

Lifetime Membership
Dec 20, 2004
Kirkland, WA
are you putting the grease on the tip of the puller???thats where it needs to be, a nice big ball, then make sure it stays on the tip as you slide the puller in the primary. torque it down pretty good and a rap or two w/ a 3-5lber and she should pop.

this works the best i've seen so far. no clean up either. Grease the tip (ha ha, no jokes), and tighten the puller, give 'er a good wack and off she comes. easy.

M
Dec 24, 2007
Clutch Problem

Thanks for the tips. A friend of mine and I got it off last night. Patience and perservence and just a little more heat paid off. Now I can get it rebuilt.

Premium Features