• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

What do you wear for a base layer

B
Nov 11, 2010
Salmon Arm BC
You guys realize that sticking a layer of cotton (jeans and a T shirt) between a decent base layer and an outer shell is basically negating all of that since the cotton collects all the moisture.

I've worn everything from Helly Hansen onepieces to Klim to Costco brand. My preference is the Ski-Doo Active base layer made with X-static. Nice loose fit for movement and with my outer layer warm enough on all but the coldest days when I add a fleece pant and wool sweater as a mid layer.

freak485

Lifetime Membership
Feb 4, 2011
Billings, MT
Anyone were the klim defender base layer? Supposed to be heavy than the aggressor stuff I were than but it's sometime not warm enough and if I were my inferno mid I usually roast! Anyone like just that and are you plenty warm most of the time?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

S

sledneck_03

Jan 3, 2009
Saskatoon, SK
I wear funny enough walmart athletic brand long underwear and their fleece long underwear that had people sking on the package.

Its $15-18 a top or bottom, i have 5 days worth of layers for my week trips.

Some of the stuff is 5 years old now and still like new.

I have some klim stuff that is basically identical but a 4 times the price.

I have klim and helly hansen socks

#canadastrong

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
I wear a pair of good old Wally world sweat pants and uninsulated bibs on the bottom half, t-shirt, motocross jersey, fleece jacket, and uninsulated shell on top half. Fleece jacket usually comes off shortly into the ride, unless its extremely cold out. have worn this getup down to almost -10F and as long as I stay riding I dont get cold, but I am a bigger guy with a nice layer of natural insulation so that may help with the heat retention. I used to ride with jeans on until I tried the sweatpants, I'll never go back, so much more mobility in the sweats vs. Jeans.

M

MPS

I don't really have much of a base layer..pajama pants and a tshirt. I'm too hot otherwise...Im too active riding. It's crazy how Underarmour has exploded. I used them when no one ever heard of it. I used it under my body armor to stay cooler because it got so damn hot...hence the name. Not sure if its the same material used to stay warm. ..its just weird to me.

Dirty Steve

Lifetime Membership
Feb 3, 2012
Central MN
I wear Under Armour top and bottom, Klim socks, cheap polyester warm up/jogging pants, Klim jersey and a Tek Vest. No cotton for me.
Looking to ditch the Under Armor for something made from Merino Wool.
I used to be the guy thinking people were being a little ridiculous for buying/wearing the sled specific base layers until I tried it.
Even wearing a cotton t shirt is a no no for me now. It is amazing how much drier and more comfortable you are when you wear gear that doesn't absorb and hold the perspiration. Which over the coarse of a day is alot.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
I used to be the guy thinking people were being a little ridiculous for buying/wearing the sled specific base layers until I tried it.
Even wearing a cotton t shirt is a no no for me now. It is amazing how much drier and more comfortable you are when you wear gear that doesn't absorb and hold the perspiration.
Same - it's really a huge upgrade. It instantly makes whatever coat/pant you wear work significantly better.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
Merino wool is where its at. Synthetics are great when you're active but when I stopped I was always cold. Plus the reoccurring stank got sickening.

K
Nov 30, 2008
Reno, NV
For the last ten years, Terramar base layer. Last year, I tried Mountain Hardwear Air mesh and Smartwool merino base. All work good, the air mesh is very light and comfortable but I do seem to always go back to my Terramar stuff.

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Smartwool crew neck with a Smartwool zip up over it.

tuneman

Lifetime Membership
Jan 16, 2013
Minnesota
www.everettsports.net
Nothing better than Merino wool. I've had several brands but the best/most durable for me is Icebreaker. I go with the 260, which is a midweight, and that's all I have on under my onesie. Sometimes a midlayer shirt, if it's really cold. Smartwool makes decent socks, but have had durability issues with their base layers.

T

theidbreder

Mar 3, 2020
Klim 2.0 or 3.0 under a mono suit. I usually end up sweating my @$$ off in the 3.0’s on big snow days.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features