• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowmobile Club Affiliation

Are you a member of a riding club or state/prov association?

• Total voters
V

vector boy

Jan 5, 2008
Norfolk, NE
So those of you not in a club/association, do you even care about the land closure bills going through congress and if your riding area gets closed down because of the lack of support put in from our sport?

mtbroncrider

Lifetime Membership
Jan 27, 2011
Helena/Wibuax, MT
I havent been a member of my local club, helena snow drifters in the past. my folks were when i was younger, and after all the BS involved I didnt really want much to do with them either, as politics turns into a pissing match.

But now that im taking my wife and kids out on the trails that they groom, my entire family are members. Really would like my wife and duaghter to go out on thier girls only ride next year.

until last year this entire sport was in serious decline, but thanks to a bonus year of snow alot more people are starting to get into it now. While my local club tries to put events on, its not well advertised at all.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
IMO I don't think if you as an person has to like the clubs or even like the events that are put on by clubs. If those are not your favorite things to do that is understanable, I feel the same way. I believe that if you ride a snowmobile and ride on our public lands it is very important to belong to at least your State Organization. Just for the fact that they need to show the numbers of winter time users on our land. If we don't have those numbers then we are easy pickings for the enviro's to target, then they get there way. All because we don't have a voice, and the voice comes from the numbers (more or less).

M8 your idea is grand, but make yourself be part of keeping the right to take that hatchet mark trail into some canyon, by giveing a few dollars to your local club and or State Organization. It helps, more than you realize. It does not mean you have to ride with them.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
Not a "real" member. Not active at all. But I did join every snowmobile association that would take money online. There were a few where I had to print the form and send it in with a check and I haven't done that yet. Don't have the time right now to be involved but I wanted to help out with the funds. Joined SAWS too. I kinda lost track but I know I am a member of the State Snowmobile Association of WA, OR, CA/NV and I think MT. Maybe ID.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Thanks matte, we don't want to forget about SAWS one of our diggest supporters for our sport. you are a great example of one way to help the sled community.

Last edited:

Bagger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
South Central WA
Well since we are talking about club affiliation our club is putting on a ride on Jan 15th it will consist of 60 miles of some beautiful back country. Your choice trail ride or cross country ride lots of playing along the way.There will be five check stations and bomb fire and food at the end and usually a mid way food stop and fire.
M8 come along we will give you gps readings to all the check points that way you will not have to touch a trail I would suggest a chain saw winch tho.
Please bring your clubs news letter so we can exchange ride dates we are always looking for new riding areas and new people to ride with.
Thanks BS

Sounds like fun BS, can RockStar and I reserve the Silver Bullet that weekend?

Bag

giddyup

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
deer valley sask.
membership

i think its important to suport your local club or the club you ride with, i support two clubs one is my local club, and the other is the fernie club. its 800+km(500mile) to my club but i support them, i doo most of my riding in fernie. the clubs need our support to keem running,

giddyup

F

fuzz

Jul 4, 2001
Great Falls,Montana
Here's my take. I have been a member of my local club for many years. Most of the "old heads" have since retired from snowmobiling but I'm still hanging on and riding as much as this old body will take. The younger crowd, as one stated, is the "Me" generation and dont realized how much effort us old farts have spent trying to keep the greenies and Forest Svc pukes from locking us out completely. He may not like the trails and I do as much off trail as I can but if it were not for the efforts of clubs and individuals over the years, there wouldnt be any off trail riding either. I pay my dues and write letters etc to at least try and help our cause.
Thanks to all the folks that are putting forth their efforts to keep our lands open.

copteazer

Lifetime Membership
Oct 16, 2008
Helena Montana
As the vice president of Helena Snowdrifters here in helena montana, We were having bad turnouts, poor memberships, and lack of events. The president and I have worked very hard the last couple of years going from 50 members to over 125 last year and on track this year of getting the club back to having more events, more members, and even better turnouts at meetings. WE got a great officers and board members on staff who are working hard to make this work and help keep the local trails open around here. We host an annual Ladies ride, and been working hard to keep the poker ride going. We have involved the local dealers to help get numbers up and be active in the snowmobiling scenes here. So if your numbers are down get support from the dealers.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
I'm not interested in poker rides, drag racing and brand bashing so after one season I stopped paying dues.

But it is these clubs that help keep our public ground open. Paying dues is what helps keep us in the mts riding.

You don't have to join a club to go on the poker rides or what not, help be a voice for your club to help fight the fern feelers..

O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
Thanks matte, we don't want to forget about SAWS one of our diggest supporters for our sport. you are a great example of one way to help the sled community.

I am a member of two clubs and our state association, but frankly have very limited time to dedicate to club related activities. Below is a copy of some information I wrote a couple of years ago about the importance and differences of clubs, SAWS and BRC. Some level of involvement is required, IMO, for all sledders.

Hello there everyone! I've been thinking that it's time to post some clarifying information about two snowmobiling organizations....Oregon State Snowmobile Association (www.oregonsnow.org) and the Snowmobile Alliance of Western States (www.snowmobile-alliance.org).

To begin - both organizations are non-profits. Both are designed to address snowmobile recreation. Both are opposed to Wilderness designations. That's where the similarities stop.

OSSA is an Oregon State entity which - per their website - are organized to assist and oversee the following:

OSSA manages the grooming program under agreement with ODOT, and in cooperation with local snowmobile clubs. Last season dedicated snowmobilers volunteered more than 28,000 hours maintaining our 6,000 mile trail system. Our groomer operators logged more than 31,000 miles of trail groomed. All clubs participate in trail clearing and trail maintenance. Oregon's snowmobile program is recognized throughout North America as a model of volunteer accomplishment.

OSSA snowmobilers patricipate in many diverse activities. An organization we are proud to be involved with is the Candlelighters. OSSA contributes to a co-op law-enforcement program with eight county sheriff's departments. Safety Certification classes are scheduled throughout the state to promote safe snowmobiling. Our snowmobilers build snow shelters for the enjoyment of all winter recreationists. We provide representation for legislative issues at the state and national level. OSSA promotes safe, responsible snowmobiling and proper recreational land use.
SAWS is regional organization (Western States) whose sole mission is....from their website:

SAWS has only one priority - to keep our riding areas open. Our purpose is not to be a social outlet but rather as activists whose combined knowledge and strengths will benefit the greater snowmobiling community. We will focus on preventing riding areas from being shut down due to changes in land use designations that are detrimental to snowmobiling.​

Both organizations are vital to continued sledding in Oregon. Both organizations rely heavily on volunteers. Both organizations interact and coordinate with the forest service and other land management organizations to address land use access, closures, etc.

Occasionally it may seem that SAWS and OSSA have a difference of opinion. Any differences that you feel exist are likely going to be traceable back to each organization's core mission. But remember.....We are on the same side of the field....playing for the same team.

I just don't want any Oregon snowmobilers to believe that being a member of SAWS is a subsitute for being a member of a club or OSSA. Snowmobilers involvement is necessary in all of the sledding related organizations. In addition, I would encourage sledders to be members of the Blue Ribbon Coalition (http://www.sharetrails.org) as well. They address issues from a national level.

Be involved. Be vocal. If you aren't happy with something within these organizations, then step up and be proactive about changing it.

But please don't think that not being a member of OSSA and being a member of SAWS is an equal exchange "in service" (so to speak). SAWS is not going to make sure your trails are groomed, or that you have parking, or that your ODOT dollars are adequately spent. OSSA is the organization DESIGNED to address those local-level issues. Or rather, they are designed to be supportive of the local clubs. And....I didn't even get into club involvement here. But I think you get the point that I making. At least I hope this message is clear.

From a SAWS perspective, Todd (aka Tedd) and I are your Oregon Representatives and we'll be happy to answer any questions you have about SAWS.

Regarding OSSA - reach out to the directors, clubs and other OSSA members if you have questions.

Oregon is likely facing some key land use issues in the coming months. So, stay tuned and get your pens and your voices ready. We'll be calling on you for support and action soon.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
Very nice Susie, thanks. I look at the local club as a numbers tool for others to use in the fight to keep our access, the more people we have join a local club the better. The local clud also helps us have groomed trails and great new updated snow parks. Is that a bad way of looking at our local clubs .

Thanks Again Susie, Todd, for all your guys hard work helping keep us in the Mountian snow.

I did not know you guys where going to be at the Bosie show, I would of like to chat with you about a SAWS speaker. I was there both days, most of my time was spent at the better boards booth. Sorry I missed ya.

Last edited:
O

Oregongirl

Jul 25, 2002
Highlands Ranch, Colorado
We were only there on Saturday and there was a guy I didn't know at Rob's booth on the couple of occasions that I stopped by. LOL!! It was probably you. Me, redhead....with my mini-me, redheaded daughter. :face-icon-small-ton

In terms of the numbers game, SAWS is all about that. We currently have somewhere around 4,000 members. We may have the single largest database of email contacts for snowmobilers than any other organization. That is valuable and I am regularly encouraging the clubs and OSSA to use us to distribute information about closures. I'm sure that we have a lot of unaffiliated riders who don't get information any other way.

Plus, I don't believe that any closure is simply a "local" issue. I ride all over the place and don't really have a "local" area. My riding areas are found in 4 states. I'm sure we aren't the only sledders like this. We need individuals, clubs and state associations to help us cover land use issues. It's too much of an issue for one organization to do it alone.

S

suitcase

Nov 9, 2008
In the great part of OR.
I visited Tammy and AL on Friday, never made it over to there Booth on Sat. I have seen a few Pics of you, I would have reconized you if I would have run into you at one of the booths. I hope I did not turn away to many of Rob's customers by being there. LOL :becky:.. I will try to email you this week about someone to speak at our event. IMO we need someone to come to Lagrande and let us know where we stand on the issues at hand.

Is there any particular reason why OSSA does not us SAWS more to get info out or post info up about diffrent topics? Is it because that they use state moneys to help with there portion, (trails, parking so on)?

Last edited:

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
If snowmobile clubs had 25% of the membership of Snowest alone, ALL of our riding areas would be open.

Think about that. $30-$60 a year and you can keep areas open for your kids and grand kids to ride the same areas that you, your father and grandfather all rode.

The Fourth Wolf

Lifetime Membership
Jan 8, 2008
Anchorage, AK
We aren't, but we both know we should join to support them whether we get real involved or not. Will try to make that happen this year.

Dee the Anchorage club could use more active women riders. hint hint

We have some lady members but they're mostly older, trail riders. We have a few girls who get after it but we need more. hint hint

Come check us out at our January meeting. Then decide.

Premium Features