• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Ski-Doo 2023 REVEAL

AkSledHed

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 12, 2009
Eagle River, Ak
I'm feeling butthurt that there's no 600 summit. Summit light (?) Has 600 but 146 1.75 or 2.2 or some ****e . I was very ready to check one. My 2021 (build sheet) was way under 14. Now I'd be at 15k with a no frills 850. I know I know but iam old and new and if I can't get there on a 600 154x2 6 I probably shouldn't be there lol.
You should, I can't believe they aren't offering the 600R in a Summit package, good thing my wife got hers last year or she'd be pissed.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Kidding aside about the gen-z friendly display and all, I'm curious as to how much of the Gen5 is really new. The weight is a step in the right direction, but not a huge one. This looks more like a .5 gen update, just like the Matryx, but I would have been surprised to see something all-new. I couldn't help but notice a reference to "less ski lift to help you hold your line," or something like that. Funny how the Gen4 was more "playful" while the AXYS was "planted," then the Khaos comes out that's easier to wheelie, and now the Gen5 (the Expert, at least) is moving to the "planted" side of the spectrum. Not sure if Doo and Poo are working furiously to meet in the middle, or if they might be crossing paths already.... Seems like both Poo and Doo are working on getting narrower, but I can't see Doo ever winning that battle with a 16" track - not that it's a huge deal.

Personally, if I had the cash, I think my first choice would be a NA Khaos Slash, but I'd spend good money to try that back-to-back against a Gen5 first. They're getting so close in terms of performance that you can't make a definite argument for either one just based on numbers. I spec'd out a Summit Edge 165 for $15,600; not too bad, actually $500 cheaper than a Khaos Slash 165. Not interested in boost (may not ever be); even my Pro, which is down at least 15HP to either 850, has all the power I need for now. That said, the Poo does have the option to go to twin pipes in the future. I wouldn't spend money on the fancy display on either one; not saying it's worthless, just that it seems more like a toy than a must-have. I couldn't help but notice how they're pushing accessories. Everybody does it, but given less inflation in MSRP than expected, I wonder if they're going to try to keep the profits up by selling add-ons.

Lastly, I gotta agree that no 600 Summit makes no sense. Looks like the Backcountry is the closest you get, and that's gonna be hobbled in deep snow. Maybe they're not selling, but it'd have to be really bad to not be worth pushing out Summit SP (in 146 or 154 x 2.5 configuration) with the 600; could at least make it a special-order, not sure how you'd lose money. Poo might sell a few more 650 RMKs next year, and this while the 600R is a purpose-built motor where the 650 is just a de-bored 850. Other than that, it's mostly solid moves for Doo. One thing I'll give Doo: the G5 isn't what I'd call pretty, but I've seen several Matryx RMKs in person now.... Ugliest Poo since the Storm.

801_FuNk_801

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 6, 2008
Ogden, Ut
Kidding aside about the gen-z friendly display and all, I'm curious as to how much of the Gen5 is really new. The weight is a step in the right direction, but not a huge one. This looks more like a .5 gen update, just like the Matryx, but I would have been surprised to see something all-new. I couldn't help but notice a reference to "less ski lift to help you hold your line," or something like that. Funny how the Gen4 was more "playful" while the AXYS was "planted," then the Khaos comes out that's easier to wheelie, and now the Gen5 (the Expert, at least) is moving to the "planted" side of the spectrum. Not sure if Doo and Poo are working furiously to meet in the middle, or if they might be crossing paths already.... Seems like both Poo and Doo are working on getting narrower, but I can't see Doo ever winning that battle with a 16" track - not that it's a huge deal.

Personally, if I had the cash, I think my first choice would be a NA Khaos Slash, but I'd spend good money to try that back-to-back against a Gen5 first. They're getting so close in terms of performance that you can't make a definite argument for either one just based on numbers. I spec'd out a Summit Edge 165 for $15,600; not too bad, actually $500 cheaper than a Khaos Slash 165. Not interested in boost (may not ever be); even my Pro, which is down at least 15HP to either 850, has all the power I need for now. That said, the Poo does have the option to go to twin pipes in the future. I wouldn't spend money on the fancy display on either one; not saying it's worthless, just that it seems more like a toy than a must-have. I couldn't help but notice how they're pushing accessories. Everybody does it, but given less inflation in MSRP than expected, I wonder if they're going to try to keep the profits up by selling add-ons.

Lastly, I gotta agree that no 600 Summit makes no sense. Looks like the Backcountry is the closest you get, and that's gonna be hobbled in deep snow. Maybe they're not selling, but it'd have to be really bad to not be worth pushing out Summit SP (in 146 or 154 x 2.5 configuration) with the 600; could at least make it a special-order, not sure how you'd lose money. Poo might sell a few more 650 RMKs next year, and this while the 600R is a purpose-built motor where the 650 is just a de-bored 850. Other than that, it's mostly solid moves for Doo. One thing I'll give Doo: the G5 isn't what I'd call pretty, but I've seen several Matryx RMKs in person now.... Ugliest Poo since the Storm.
90+% of parts required re-tooling from what I understand. IMO that is more than "a .5 gen update".

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Interesting; if that's the case, it does indicates more changes G4 --> G5 than AXYS --> Matryx. I was mostly going off the video, and I didn't hear anything about major structural changes, although I didn't catch the whole thing. The weight advantage seems to mostly be from the suspension and bodywork though. Should be more details forthcoming, so I'll stay tuned. Just a little disappointing if they invested in a new bulkhead and/or tunnel without catching Poo on weight, but at least they're whittling away where Poo's been stagnant.

Escmanaze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 8, 2007
USA
Interesting; if that's the case, it does indicates more changes G4 --> G5 than AXYS --> Matryx. I was mostly going off the video, and I didn't hear anything about major structural changes, although I didn't catch the whole thing. The weight advantage seems to mostly be from the suspension and bodywork though. Should be more details forthcoming, so I'll stay tuned. Just a little disappointing if they invested in a new bulkhead and/or tunnel without catching Poo on weight, but at least they're whittling away where Poo's been stagnant.
Poo has not been stagnant, and in fact they went up in weight a bit to go from 800 to 850 and then they went up in weight a bit again to go from AXYS to Matryx. The lightest Poo I can find now is at 419 pounds. A few years ago they were something just under 410.

G
Dec 20, 2007
90+% of parts required re-tooling from what I understand. IMO that is more than "a .5 gen update".
That was the skid. Beartooth says it best; its a Matryx update. New plastic to hug internals, narrow boards to meet side panels, option to get rid of the hooky t-motion in the expert, nice gauge, and cranking the boost up 1ish psi. The rest is pretty well the same. The clutches still get in the way IMO. I'd need to stand on one, but looks strange

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
408 lbs is the lightest number I remember, for either a Pro or AXYS 155. I think part of the weight gain has been from added cooling though, which was unacceptable for a lot of users (my Pro has an added cooler). The NA Slash 155 is indeed listed at 419, so you do have a point. That said, given the better cooling, extra HP from the 850 vs 800, and much less snow and ice buildup on the tunnel, I think "stagnant" is more than fair. Plus, if the improvement in snow buildup is as much as I hear, the Slash is going to be lighter every time by the time you get back to the truck. Wonder when they'll release the dry weights for the '23 Summits...

801_FuNk_801

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 6, 2008
Ogden, Ut
408 lbs is the lightest number I remember, for either a Pro or AXYS 155. I think part of the weight gain has been from added cooling though, which was unacceptable for a lot of users (my Pro has an added cooler). The NA Slash 155 is indeed listed at 419, so you do have a point. That said, given the better cooling, extra HP from the 850 vs 800, and much less snow and ice buildup on the tunnel, I think "stagnant" is more than fair. Plus, if the improvement in snow buildup is as much as I hear, the Slash is going to be lighter every time by the time you get back to the truck. Wonder when they'll release the dry weights for the '23 Summits...
430lbs is the listed dry weight for an 2023 NA 154 Summit

P
Dec 15, 2018
I know its kinda dumb but the new neo is pretty cool for grandma's and kids. Way better than the blast I bought. I think I'll get one for my wife

turboless terry

Premium Member
Jan 15, 2008
Big Timber, MT
Stagnant is so far off it's almost not worth commenting on. Have you even rode one?

P
Dec 15, 2018
My favorite quote so far from a hardcore snowmobiler ," I didn't buy my chaos for reliability."
I still say that the manufacturers are doing a mediocre job attracting new people to snowmobiling.

C

caper11

Nov 2, 2008
Northern alberta
I ordered a G5 turbo with the small gauge. I don’t like the fact that the new gauge needs the go app and attached to your phone. Great for trail, but I wanted a stand alone system that did not need to be paired to a phone. My dealer told me no buddy tracking, need the go App.
Against Everything we are taught in avalanche classes, and it’s 1500 bucks Canadian!

Last edited:

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
I ordered a G5 turbo with the small gauge. I don’t like the fact that the new gauge needs the go app and attached to your phone. Great for trail, but I wanted a stand alone system that did not need to be paired to a phone. My dealer told me no buddy tracking, need the go App.
Against Everything we are taught in avalanche classes, and it’s 1500 bucks Canadian!

but it does not follow other riders like the polaris guage , that may come but with blue tooth and wifi things can be upgraded at a future time

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Stagnant is so far off it's almost not worth commenting on. Have you even rode one?
Nope, haven't rode one, but would like to. Stagnant is more than fair with regard to dry weight, as discussed. Would be good to see some weights after running around in the snow, but that's easier said than done. If you're talking about things like "feels lighter," I'll happily defer to someone who owns one, but that's obviously not what I was saying.

Premium Features