• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Another NyPro Project

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
Did not have any luck finding a aluminum tube with the right dimensions in Town so i visited McXpress and got a bigger tube.

Cut it down to the right lenght.

And cut a strip out of it.
I will weld it tomorrow.

Painted the wrap with exhaust paint, im told it will hold together better then.

Filled up the gastank for the first time and saw that i had a small hole where the gas came out .....
did a experiment where i dipped the soldering iron in a jar of gas and no explosion :face-icon-small-ton
so i fixed it with the gas still in there.

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
I got a Boss seat for a Arctic M-model for free, it is damaged but i think i can make something out of it.

undressed.

I have made some test rides (about 20 kilometers) and my airfilters are not flowing enough air so it chokes at full throttle.
And the riser is way to high.
we are going a snowmobile trip Friday-Saturday so im in a hurry now.

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
Tried the sled without the foam filters and it came alive.
Made some simple airfilters that i will try tomorrow, if they work they will be used untill the turbo goes in.

Started the mods on the seat.

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
The seat got mounted with some rivets and straps

Made the riser lower by cutting it and bolting it together.

did a Quick fix and duct taped some screen on the hood.

I made it to the trip and have about 200 kilometers on it now.
Engine ran and started good, it over revved a bit but it didnt hit the limiter.
We had alot of snow and my short track with low lugs SUCKED in the snow, the PPS skid is also known to be bad in snow but it was really nice on the bumpy trails.
Next i will install the long track to try it out Before the season ends.

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
Today i got the new ASA Pro front shocks (Pre production unit), its a brand new model in aluminum (the PRO model where steel earlier).
The PRO model has longer travel than the ASA Active model but the shorter travel was not something i noticed when driving because it uses lots of travel all the time.
it will be very interesting to try them out.

Assault shock 5,68 lbs, ASA Active and ASA PRO identical weight at 5,84 lbs. not bad for such a beefy built shock.

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
Today i bought a 20 t sprocket so the gearing and driveshaft is ready for the long track, i have some other parts to get Before i start to mount it, so i will run the short track and try the new ASA Shocks while i collect the parts. almost no snow here anyways.

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
Not much to write about.
Done some testing of the ASA Pro and the first impression is very promising.
They are a bit on the stiff side but im going to ride them a bit more Before i touch the adjusters.

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
cut the track down.

Made a nice trophy

regreased the drive shaft bearings and geared it down to 20/40 and installed the track.

Installed the skid to see how much track tension i could get.

a bit longer now.

I have to modify the dropbrackets and get a tunnel extension and order two new bolts for the brake caliper they are so damaged that i almost could not get them off.
it looks like im able to get the track tight enough without larger rear Wheels but im at the end of adjustement (1/4" left)

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
Started on my dropbrackets today.

While i had the grinder in my hand i removed the cooling fins on the brake disk, 250 grams or 8.8 oz removed

Last edited:
S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
Rear section.

Mounted two aluminum angles as reinforcement and i will make holes in them for strapping luggage.

Had to cut the plastic a bit.

Duct tape as a temporary Cable holder.

finished.

S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
Another clip.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ifY2YZH35SI&feature=youtube_gdata_player

the season is over where i live so im planning the next step in the build.
a new tunnel is on the list since the short track wont be installed anymore and my tunnel extension was to weak. This time i will use the coolers from a pro rmk.
it will be boosted 180/190 hp kit and a new track is really on my wish list and maybe narrower a-arms.

Last edited:
S

sportsterdanne

May 3, 2011
This is what happened to my tunnel extension, i was worried that it would be to weak to lift the sled in the back but that was no problem it was to weak whe you pushed it down.
i just used standard aluminum since nothing else was available in Town and i needed something for my testride with the long track.
For the new tunnel i will order some better grade aluminum.
Any suggestions on what type of aluminum ? the only bend will be the lip for the runningboards.

a friend gave me a LED rear light that is really nice.

i also recieved the 20W LED head light that i ordered from China a couple of weeks ago.
But it is a bit Heavy so i dont think i will use it, there is another model that i think i will order, it is smaller lighter and more powerfull at 30 Watts.
im not looking for enought light to be riding at night i just want something that will light up the trail to get me home.

it will be interesting to se the weight of the old vs. the new tunnel.
On my current tunnel i have a really Heavy rear bumper, the snow flap is kind of massive two sets of steel drop brackets and reinforcements and double sheets in a couple of places.
The new tunnel will be about one inch lower and i will make aluminum drop brackets and use a lighter rear bumper, rear light and snowflap. i even Think that the Polaris coolers are lighter even if they will be longer.
i will also make the aluminum adaptor plates lighter with some milled pockets in them and probably clean up the electrical a bit.
so im hoping to make up a bit for installing the turbo.
Btw i put the sled on a scale and it was 269 kg/593 lbs not sure on how much fuel in the gas tank but it was driven 90 kilometers/56 miles trail riding from being topped off and i have a Skidoo REV SDI Gastank.

Premium Features