• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

very disappointed in you arctic cat guys

Thread Rating
1.00 star(s)

m8magicandmystery

Lifetime Membership
Jan 20, 2008
Yukon
A car manufacturer was using rotary motors a while back, can't remember which one though. I have also been hearing about guys building magnetic motors. Using opposing magnets to mimic the force of the gas exploding pushing the piston down in the cylinder. Quite interesting actually.

Mazda (they really rip)...but a fella on this site was developing a rotary for a sled...high performance...they had a prototype i thought..??

Skiroule (Coleman) had a wankel in there snowmobile..it was classified as a 300..i think they had it for a couple seasons..??

(detailed specs)

MODEL ENGINE DISPLACEMENT
RT300 Sachs 293cc
RT300-T Sachs 291cc
RT300-E Sachs 293cc
RT340 Sachs 338cc
RT440 Sachs 437cc
RT440-E Sachs 437cc
RTX-300 Sachs 293cc
RTX-340 Sachs 338cc
RTX-440 Sachs 437cc
RTX-447 Sachs 437cc
RTW-300 Wankel 294cc

1974 MODEL ENGINE DISPLACEMENT
Laser Kohler 436cc
RT300 Kohler 293cc
RT300T Kohler 291cc
RTX340 Kohler 338cc
RTX440B Kohler 437cc
RTX447 Kohler 437cc
RTW300 Wankel 294cc

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
Seeing as this thread is suddenly at the top again I have a question for wyo. Why the HO motor in the pro? Why not a 900 out of a 1M chassis? Those are generally considered to be very reliable. Similar architecture to the cfi motor (front exhaust, rear intake). Certainly better power than the cfi and probably better power than an HO. Motor should be cheaper to buy. Just a thought.

H

HOOCH256

Jan 5, 2008
Kalispell, MT
Seeing as this thread is suddenly at the top again I have a question for wyo. Why the HO motor in the pro? Why not a 900 out of a 1M chassis? Those are generally considered to be very reliable. Similar architecture to the cfi motor (front exhaust, rear intake). Certainly better power than the cfi and probably better power than an HO. Motor should be cheaper to buy. Just a thought.

Honestly I'd have to agree, I've seen those 900 make sick power and then just flat run! That too me sounds like a win win

Sent from my super duper sweet iPhone using Tapatalk when I should be doing something productive!

SaberKitty

Lifetime Membership
Nov 15, 2006
Foothills of Grosse Gelb
Instead of building a ZukPoo morphodite, slightly tweaking an '11 M8 seems the better path to me. At least I wouldn't have to hang my head in shame, then again it would be nice to tell Poo in a fashionable way that their engine sucks and AC for cutting weight on a trail sled and forgetting about the rest of us.

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
Have fun on the poo forum. We all know the Polaris is problem free.

No its not problem free either, but it still handles like a mountain sled.

If cat would have come up with a sled that was a natural evolution to the M series then I would still be with them, Ive owned nothing but cat for close to 20 years (quads and sleds). But when there big release, new design sled handles exactly like a 10 year old rev its time to make a change. Why do you think all the doo guys all of a sudden like the new cats, cause they handle like a doo, which I hate.

Last edited:
B

Bacon

Nov 26, 2007
Napoleon, ND
I agree with you sort of. The cat I think does everything better than poo except if you want to side hill 50 degree slopes through the trees all day. The cat can get by but is not as fun or capable in that situation as poo. I would just be worried if my drive belt, drive shaft, motor might let loose and there I sit. At least the cat only has a belt problem and some of that is hopefully better this year. I was very close to getting a poo this year but couldn't get past the motor problems. I hope you have good luck with your sled this year. I don't wish bad luck on anyone.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
The laydown is a better design IMO and more capable for multiple applications. How many 900 turbos are there running around. The idea would be most anything on the m8 would work on the ______ whatever you call it.

BTW, I can't believe someone brought this back up, snow please.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
The laydown is a better design IMO and more capable for multiple applications. How many 900 turbos are there running around. The idea would be most anything on the m8 would work on the ______ whatever you call it.

BTW, I can't believe someone brought this back up, snow please.

Oh absolutely the HO is a better more efficient design. I would ask this, look how far turbos have come in 5 years or so. If the 900 was still a current motor I'm sure you'd see lots of turbos. How many people are gonna spend 5-6k on a turbo in a 3k sled? Either way anything you do is gonna be a one off custom set up. Not too many off the shelf parts are gonna work either way. Food for thought.

Sent via magic

K

knifedge

Dec 20, 2009
Colorado

--The drivetrain can barely handle 100hp as it is

G

Going West

Nov 30, 2007
Canada
I agree with you sort of. The cat I think does everything better than poo except if you want to side hill 50 degree slopes through the trees all day. The cat can get by but is not as fun or capable in that situation as poo. I would just be worried if my drive belt, drive shaft, motor might let loose and there I sit. At least the cat only has a belt problem and some of that is hopefully better this year. I was very close to getting a poo this year but couldn't get past the motor problems. I hope you have good luck with your sled this year. I don't wish bad luck on anyone.

Everyone has different preferences, for me personally, there wasn't one thing the PC did better then the old M series excluding trail performance. I don't jump so I cant comment on that. It did handle well in open areas where but not better then the old M.

For me the Pro RMK does everything better then the M series, (excluding Motor/power) and feels like the natural progression of the M series sleds.

This isn't to say the Pro climb is not a good sled, just that the handling characteristics have taken a different direction. To me it feels very similar to the Doo line up. Not saying this is bad as tons of people love their Doo's, just not what I was expecting from AC.

I hope you all have a great year on you PC's. I hope they have all the issues worked out so everyone has many trouble free miles.

Last edited:

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
Oh absolutely the HO is a better more efficient design. I would ask this, look how far turbos have come in 5 years or so. If the 900 was still a current motor I'm sure you'd see lots of turbos. How many people are gonna spend 5-6k on a turbo in a 3k sled? Either way anything you do is gonna be a one off custom set up. Not too many off the shelf parts are gonna work either way. Food for thought.

Sent via magic

many parts may not but he fuel and electrical will stay and the other stuff shouldn't take much to retrofit. Although I doubt I will be doing this in the near future. In fact I will be lucky to ride, I decided in order to go the direction I want I need a lot more money so I'm putting things on hold and investing to get the money built up so I can build what ever I want. So unless someone wants help or wants to fund the project I don't see it happening very soon, depending on what comes of next seasons sleds it may happen then if someone doesn't do something better first.

I have it all layed out in my mind and I really don't think it would take much other than the time of checking to make surem, but I am 100% confident it can be done and in a production type manner with the stand up reliability and power (unless the Suz rips the pro apart, lol) we all want.

polarisfornow

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jun 2, 2008
Beautiful Colorado
Well if money was no option I would possibly have a pro with a 910 PAR in it. Well if it was no option an 1100 PAR. :beer:

Sent via magic

Premium Features