• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trail Status 3/12/08

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Hello:

After a great weekend last week the snow in the hills has taken some abuse by mother nature. Grooming on Monday was not the best and last nite we started very late 8PM. The temps in the Trailshead area were in the 40s most of the nite and it never did cool down so we could groom a nice trail. The Lead Deadwood groomer tried but quit early as the snow was just too wet. We will try again tonite. The trails are in pretty decent shape but they are thinning and are wet with some areas of slush. South of 8 is getting very bare except 12-13 and the Moon area. East by Lead Deadwood is also thinning badly. It is supposed to cool down but I am showing 45 degrees in Spearfish right now. The forecast snow for yesterday did not develop and it was actually raining a little when I came home last nite. I know this sounds a bit negative but our season is ending. Many of the trails this weekend should still be very ridable. Offtrail should still be fair if you do not mind wet and sugary snow. There are still many areas of chest deep snow and the opportunity to get stuck. You just will have to look a little. Many offtrail haunts got seriously beat up last weekend and without new snowcover they look pretty sad. We still have a chance for snow into the weekend so keep your fingers crossed. Just hope it is not rain.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
"All of the trails are in good to excellent condition" - March 12, 2008.

The season is nearing the end...... guess it's to be expected, but not welcome. Chance of snow through next wednesday with temps cooling off, maybe an Easter ride isn't out of the question....

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Hello:

I think an Easter ride may be a good possibility but I have a 1997 ZL 440 for those occassions. I think all of the trails are in "good" condition. Excellent is a stretch. Last nite the trails we got to actually did groom up pretty good. It was in the mid 20s. Some bare spots around Big Hill and east on 6. Way south is not good as well as the trails east around Deadwood. North out of Rec Springs is moguled up due to traffic and poor snow to correct the problem. Just all symptoms of winter giving way to spring time. Still looks like pssibility of some snow this weekend. We will take it.

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Hello:
The last official day the trails will be open is the last day of March. We need to get them torn down during the first week or 2 of April. I believe Turkey hunting starts around the 10th. We can groom until the end of March but there is usually not good enough conditions to do so. The groomers worked this weekend but only 1 shift rather than 2. I have been told we are to groom trails on M-T-W but no decision has been made after that. Possible we will work some kind of limited schedule depending on snow cover and temps this weekend. Those of you who have been up here the last few days know the system has shrunk some. Conditions particularly in the north and south are fading away. If we get one of those April blizzards we will have fun for a couple days (and then it will be gone) but there will be no trail grooming because you are correct in that we need to be done and off them on the 1st.

B

BoondockinDragon

Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
Hello:
The last official day the trails will be open is the last day of March. We need to get them torn down during the first week or 2 of April. I believe Turkey hunting starts around the 10th. We can groom until the end of March but there is usually not good enough conditions to do so. The groomers worked this weekend but only 1 shift rather than 2. I have been told we are to groom trails on M-T-W but no decision has been made after that. Possible we will work some kind of limited schedule depending on snow cover and temps this weekend. Those of you who have been up here the last few days know the system has shrunk some. Conditions particularly in the north and south are fading away. If we get one of those April blizzards we will have fun for a couple days (and then it will be gone) but there will be no trail grooming because you are correct in that we need to be done and off them on the 1st.

I rode yesterday from Dumont traveling to the north and yes there are some bare spots, but if you ride off trail in my opinion there is still ample snow to ride through March, especially if the Hills are getting any of the snow that is falling around Rapid City today. 5" at my place and still falling!! :D

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Hello:
It did snow some at Trailshead today. About 2-3 inches. Some reports of maybe as much as 6 south from Mallo to Moon. Turned warm this afternoon and was almost drizzle for a while. You are correct in that there are some offtrail riding areas that are still pretty good. Forecast for the upper 40s to lower 50s this week is not a good sign however.

Premium Features