• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Top-end rebuild to give machine new life

G

geofharries

Oct 10, 2021
Whitehorse, Yukon
I have a 2014 M8 SnoPro 162 with about 3,200 km (140 hours) on it.

For the past couple of years - I bought it used in 2020 - it's gradually been getting harder to start from cold. Sometimes it takes 5 to 7 pulls to start cold, and quits soon after it starts. Even when warm, it can quit post-pull unless I blip the throttle and then it runs fine. Also, I've been noticing it has less power than it used to (or maybe that's just my skills increasing, haha).

I put in all new sparkplugs last winter and had it checked over at a local dealer. They said it runs okay.

Given it's age, almost 10 years at this point, do I need to consider a top-end rebuild or what should I look at to help with compression and power?

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
It could be a few things. Low compression, reeds, fuel delivery, weak stator or pickup coils out of adjustment. Compression or leak down test it and go from there I would say.

Old & slow

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2017
Alberta
Those engines are usually good for a lot more miles than what you have now. I would run some seafoam in the fuel, make sure the TSS is working correctly and the throttle cable is adjusted properly and see if that helps with starting and idling. As for power make sure the belt is within spec and deflection is adjusted properly also do a through inspection of the clutches. With that many KMS there may be worn clutch parts. Everything boondocker 97 said is also a possibility those engines did eat the reeds now and then .

spoon

Wrenching to ride is half the fun
Lifetime Membership
Dec 2, 2007
Kootenays, BC
Check connection to fuel pump as well. 2 of my sleds had slight corrosion in connector causing hard starts and weird running issues. Took 3 yrs to figure out first one. Now its first thing I check if having similar issue.

IDspud

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Oakley, ID
Same sled, 5600 miles.

As said, fuel delivery and clutches more likely if compresssion tests good.
Throttle cable and sensor issues can easily cause start, idle issues.

sno*jet

Premium Member
Dec 13, 2007
It's a bitch but might be worth checking reeds too. I just put boysen rage cages or whatever they're called in mine and it does run like it did when it was newer, less bogs, and pull cord compression feels stronger but that could just be my weak early season arm lol. stock reeds looked fine but I think they were getting looser than new ones, not sure, but last spring the downhill bog was bad and now its a lot better.
most the time its dirty clutches/old belt when sleds feel underpowered tho. I would also clean the power valves of any carbon and make sure the cables are in spec, you can get a little peak at your pistons in the process, have fun!

G

geofharries

Oct 10, 2021
Whitehorse, Yukon
I took into my local shop and they found a few issues which are being fixed.

Reeds were worn out and needed to be replaced. One of the power valve cables was also bent and twisted, while the other cable was just hanging onto nothing.

old reeds.jpg

They checked compression, belt and clutches, all looked fine.

They asked if I wanted to have them install a screen over the air intake/box so it doesn't ingest snow. Apparently they've done this to a lot of older sleds like mine. See photo below.

intake.jpeg

Have any of you added this screen? Thoughts?

A

akdanno

Feb 22, 2022
Alaska
They're probably talking about a BDX Pro-TectAir. I've installed one on my 2013 m8 and on my 2023 m8, I've had no problems

A

akdanno

Feb 22, 2022
Alaska
I didn't notice any difference, but I also didn't have snow ingestion problems beforehand. I just did it for peace of mind. Install was fairly simple, and it seems like it would be effective. It mounts in the hood, so you still need to make sure you have a good seal where the the hood meets the airbox

Premium Features