• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Snowplow Mount / Bumper Clearance Issue

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
I have a '99 Dodge 1 ton with a '99 Boss 9'2" V plow, but this truck is rough and typically doesn't leave the farm these days other than to plow snow, and even then - seldom ever gits far.

I had a new mount put on my 2006 Dodge as a back-up in case my old '99 goes down, but something has changed in the last 22 years.
The new plows apparently have a lower mounting point. My guess is that this is doo to bigger radiators for bigger motors?

I can move the mount up - sure, no worries, but then it's into my bumper.
I asked the installer about it, and he said that some guys have had to notch the bumpers out if they wanted a higher mount point.

I posed this situation over on one of the Dodge / Cummins boards, with little to no help, so I am trying here.
Maybe there are more Dodge Boys here, than there are snow guys there?

At first I was wondering if anyone makes an aftermarket bumper to accommodate this situation, but ???

Has anyone here had to notch theirs out?

Has anyone found a workaround otherwise?

ratlover

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Mar 6, 2021
Central IL
Been awhile since I was in the game but fairly common to have to trim the lower plastic air dam or trim on some truck/plow combos. The boss runs the cross piece on the truck side mount that you move up or down in the different bolt holes to get a frame on the plow parallel with the ground right? You obviously don’t want to just drop it so it clears and have your plow not parallel with the ground. That what you are talking about moving? Some brands truckside mounts are less intrusive than others. Again been awhile but snowplowforums.com was a good resource. Not sure if they still are or not.

Sorry not a ton of help. My experience with plows was on fords and chevys and as I said its been awhile since I was in the game.

Ox

Snowest's Axe Murderer
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
NW Ohio
www.midwestproductionmachining.com
Been awhile since I was in the game but fairly common to have to trim the lower plastic air dam or trim on some truck/plow combos. The boss runs the cross piece on the truck side mount that you move up or down in the different bolt holes to get a frame on the plow parallel with the ground right? You obviously don’t want to just drop it so it clears and have your plow not parallel with the ground. That what you are talking about moving? Some brands truckside mounts are less intrusive than others. Again been awhile but snowplowforums.com was a good resource. Not sure if they still are or not.

Sorry not a ton of help. My experience with plows was on fords and chevys and as I said its been awhile since I was in the game.
Yeah.

With help from the fork truck, I could pick the front of the plow up to git it mounted - in a pinch, but as you say - it wouldn't be level.

I didn't know that there was a plow specific forum.
I wonder how much traffic that place gits?
I'll give that a look as well, thanks.

Premium Features