• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Shakedown ride suggestions

S
Dec 19, 2022
Lafayette CA
Curious to know what kinds of obstacles/problems/surprises people here experienced on their first ride on a new rig.

It's a used 2017 120 RAW, so pretty basic no frills setup. I have double checked everything based on the install manual. Chain tension, track tension/slack.

I've set the bike up with a Thermobob, Temp gauge, & easy slip in rad blockers, kill switch tether, heated grips, Outerwears prefilter over the bare filter cage, Vortex ecu, FMF can, Rekluse EXP 3.0 clutch, Tugger straps,
Seat concepts comfort seat.

I've test run the track for a few minutes in the garage, kinda noisy but no alarming noises from it.

I have good snow gear, Small jumper for battery, safety/survival stuff, tools, including a tow rope & tarp just in case!

Not sure what to expect, will stay within a couple of miles from the truck until I feel confident in the reliability of said rig. My only other snowbike ride was on a perfectly set up Husky

What say all y'all? Am I overlooking something that's obvious to a more experienced snowbiker? I welcome all advice/suggestions from those in the know.

Feb 23, 2019
Cheney Wa
Have you pulled the kit apart and checked all bearings? I pull my kits apart every year and replace bearings as needed. The jack shaft ones are the ones that need the most attention. Been riding timbersleds for 3yrs.

S
Dec 19, 2022
Lafayette CA
Have you pulled the kit apart and checked all bearings? I pull my kits apart every year and replace bearings as needed. The jack shaft ones are the ones that need the most attention. Been riding timbersleds for 3yrs.
I have not. What do you look for? Just the typical stuff like grinding/roughness, slop??

I don't detect any up & down or side to side movement with the chain tension idlers backed off. How many hours are you getting from the JS bearings?

Thanks for the heads up. This first ride will be maybe 4 - 5 hours. (If it makes it that far! lol)

Premium Features