• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Roof Repair Quotation

Hiya. I just got a quote from a roofing firm in Tralee for nearly €7000 to fix a leak in my roof that is going into my bathroom. The area in question is only 4 feet by 9 feet. The area is on the ground floor so no scaffolding is required — barely a ladder. It is a flat-felt roof. Is this excessive or have labor and materials gone up that much in the last four years? I got the entire roof on my bungalow done for less than €10,000 about four years ago. I am a pensioner and know nothing of these things and do believe in paying a fair price for work though. I would appreciate any feedback.

Hiya. I just got a quote from a roofing firm in Tralee for nearly €7000 to fix a leak in my roof that is going into my bathroom. The area in question is only 4 feet by 9 feet. The area is on the ground floor so no scaffolding is required — barely a ladder. It is a flat-felt roof. Is this excessive or have labor and materials gone up that much in the last four years? I got the entire roof on my bungalow done for less than €10,000 about four years ago. I am a pensioner and know nothing of these things and do believe in paying a fair price for work though. I would appreciate any feedback. Hiya. I just got a quote from a roofing firm in Tralee for nearly €7000 to fix a leak in my roof that is going into my bathroom. The area in question is only 4 feet by 9 feet. The area is on the ground floor so no scaffolding is required — barely a ladder. It is a flat-felt roof. Is this excessive or have labor and materials gone up that much in the last four years? I got the entire roof on my bungalow done for less than €10,000 about four years ago. I am a pensioner and know nothing of these things and do believe in paying a fair price for work though. I would appreciate any feedback. Hiya. I just got a quote from a roofing firm in Tralee for nearly €7000 to fix a leak in my roof that is going into my bathroom. The area in question is only 4 feet by 9 feet. The area is on the ground floor so no scaffolding is required — barely a ladder. It is a flat-felt roof replacement arlington va. Is this excessive or have labor and materials gone up that much in the last four years? I got the entire roof on my bungalow done for less than €10,000 about four years ago. I am a pensioner and know nothing of these things and do believe in paying a fair price for work though. I would appreciate any feedback.
no response to this

Coldfinger

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Nebraska
Get three quotes if you can from reputable contractors.
If you feel they are high, ask them to tell you a little more about what it will take to do the job.

Fosgate

Lifetime Membership
Mar 28, 2005
Rapid City, SD
I was an adjuster for insurance up until about 6 months ago and left the business. But I dealt with alot of hail on RV's, Campers, Travel trailers. I'd be interested to see what the shop labor rate is. $145-160 is average in my area but I know outside there are places charging $180-220. That's the first thing I would ask, second if they charge to write an estimate and if that charge is waived if you get it repaired there. Frequently they want $100-150 to write an estimate because it's time consuming and a vast majority of people don't repair so much as turn it into insurance and pocket the money.

I also have a repair manual still where I can get detailed itemized materials and time to Remove and Install items and procedures. If you want you can PM me photos of your rig (like a sales add, one photo of each complete side, Each Corner, Roof from front facing back, Roof from back facing front, then get a few photos of the damage area. Dimensions of the complete roof. then photos of the damage area.) I can then suggest a method of repair and write an estimate for you as a guide. I would steer clear of any shop that commands more and will not provide an itemized estimate reflecting materials and the labor for each material remove and replace or R&I. I've had a few agree that they will go off my estimate and they will provide any itemization for a supplement that they may discover only to have them back out and refuse after they have done the work and threaten to take the customer to collections. Steer clear of anyone who cant give you a detailed breakdown.

Examples:
Rubber Roofing 8x24=192Sf @ $40 Sf=$7,680
Rubber Roofing RPL Labor= 15hrs @$145=$2,175 (sometimes include all the labor with all the materials including Luan Decking or break down the labor as follows as some items don't need replacing)
Termination Bars $97 x2=$194
Termination Bar Labor x2hrs at $145=$290
EDPM Sealant 1 gal=$40
EDPM Sealant app, .2 per 8 Liner foot (24ft)=4.8hrs at $145=$696
Alcove poly Edge $8 LF x48=$384
RT Front Skull Cap Corner $60+.5 labor @$145=$132.50
LT Front Skull Cap Corner $60+.5 labor @$145=$132.50
RT Rear Skull Cap Corner $60+.5 labor @$145=$132.50
LT Rear Skull Cap Corner $60+.5 labor @$145=$132.50
R&I Vented Vent .5=$72.5

Estimates like:
Replace Roof= Materials $8000
Replace roof=Labor $4000

This is the type of place to avoid.

I was an adjuster for insurance up until about 6 months ago and left the business. But I dealt with alot of hail on RV's, Campers, Travel trailers. I'd be interested to see what the shop labor rate is. $145-160 is average in my area but I know outside there are places charging $180-220. That's the first thing I would ask, second if they charge to write an estimate and if that charge is waived if you get it repaired there. Frequently they want $100-150 to write an estimate because it's time consuming and a vast majority of people don't repair so much as turn it into insurance and pocket the money.

I also have a repair manual still where I can get detailed itemized materials and time to Remove and Install items and procedures. If you want you can PM me photos of your rig (like a sales add, one photo of each complete side, Each Corner, Roof from front facing back, Roof from back facing front, then get a few photos of the damage area. Dimensions of the complete roof. then photos of the damage area.) I can then suggest a method of repair and write an estimate for you as a guide. I would steer clear of any shop that commands more and will not provide an itemized estimate reflecting materials and the labor for each material remove and replace or R&I. I've had a few agree that they will go off my estimate and they will provide any itemization for a supplement that they may discover only to have them back out and refuse after they have done the work and threaten to take the customer to collections. Steer clear of anyone who cant give you a detailed breakdown.

Examples:
Rubber Roofing 8x24=192Sf @ $40 Sf=$7,680
Rubber Roofing RPL Labor= 15hrs @$145=$2,175 (sometimes include all the labor with all the materials including Luan Decking or break down the labor as follows as some items don't need replacing)
Termination Bars $97 x2=$194
Termination Bar Labor x2hrs at $145=$290
EDPM Sealant 1 gal=$40
EDPM Sealant app, .2 per 8 Liner foot (24ft)=4.8hrs at $145=$696
Alcove poly Edge $8 LF x48=$384
RT Front Skull Cap Corner $60+.5 labor @$145=$132.50
LT Front Skull Cap Corner $60+.5 labor @$145=$132.50
RT Rear Skull Cap Corner $60+.5 labor @$145=$132.50
LT Rear Skull Cap Corner $60+.5 labor @$145=$132.50
R&I Vented Vent .5=$72.5

https://www.goldentreeroofing.com/roof-replacements.php
Estimates like: