• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

My MadFab EZ board experience (airframe comparison)

V
Jul 4, 2008
orem, utah
I would like to start by saying that i think the airframes are a great product. I am also not saying that the madfab ez boards are "better". This thread is purely to give my opinion of the MadFab EZboards and to express my experience with them yesterday.

I have ridden a polaris pro and a cat proclimb last season that both had used the madfab ez boards on them. The snow conditions were not great but i could see how they work and i was impressed. When i recently picked up my 2012 polaris pro, i figured i would give it a shot. I talked to Matt on the phone (owner of madfab) and we discussed a gauge lifter as well. I asked what other products (if any) he made and he told me about this foot well block off plates and how he has some pre cut vinyl graphics for the side. He explained to me how these products work as a SYSTEM to keep your boards clean. Aftermarket boards are just one piece of the puzzle. His ez board system is low engergy plastic that is cut perfectly to go over your stock boards. The footwell block off plates block snow from forming and melting (and forming and melting over and over again) in the front of your footwell which eventually makes that big annoying ice chunk that you can never get rid of while you ride. The vinyl on the side allows the snow to not stick to your tunnel. I decided to go with all three and i had my first full days ride on this system yesterday.

I will start off by saying that is really did exceed my expectations. Since the snow can not stick to the plastic boards, there is no need for huge holes, the factory exits are plenty big enough. Then vinyl on the side of the tunnel stayed clean at all times and the block off plates ensured that no clumping could occur at the base of your foot well. Just regular moving around on the sled was enough to keep my board clean but even when i got stuck and rolled the sled over and snow was pack in every place... one or two swipes of your boot back forth and bam, boards are clean.

Now, i simply bring up the Skinz airframes because my riding partner that day had airframes on his m so it was cool to see how they worked in comparison. I will be the first to admit that is was NOT apples to apples because his tunnel is not wrapped yet. On the other hand, for what it cost me to get the ez boards, the foot well block offs AND the tunnel wrap, i still would have money left over compared to the air frames. I know it's different strokes for different folks and i'm sure once he wraps his tunnel with the airframes, it will be just as good... but it's nice to know that i can still achieve very SIMILAR results as airframes for A) less money and B) WAYYYY less time for install with NO cutting or hacking of my sled. Again, i am no way trying to bash skinz or airframes, just trying to give a comparison for people on the fence about what snow elimination system to go with.

I have a couple pics to share. i want to state that this pic of the airframes vs the madfab system was taken obviously side by side, we BOTH just go off the same hill, doing very similar lines and neither of us had kicked or wiped our boards before the pic. We each did a line to the left, switched it to the right and then came down, got off our sleds and took the pic.

Hope someone found this little write up helpful. I think skinz products are great and top notch, i just personally couldn't justify the money nor the time to install them. I am very pleased with the system that Matt (madfab) has developed. Each product on their own will be an improvement but combined, works quite amazing. Lets all pray for snow!!! :bounce:

Vernon

madfab vs airframe.jpg madfab boards.jpg

Last edited:

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
Love my Madfab products. Too bad they didn't have the EZ boards earlier, I had cut my boards for the better boards and then went to the airframes since they worked better. The EZ boards are a much better overall value and they are EZ. ;)

Love the tunnel vinyl
with airframes
sledpics002-1.jpg

with better boards
clutchandsidepics002.jpg

Madfab gauge lifter
sledpics004.jpg

Last edited:
D
Oct 13, 2008
You're preaching to the choir here: http://www.snowestonline.com/forum/showthread.php?p=3065683
I'll flat out say that Airframes are a waste of money!

Have FUN!

G MAN

How do you really feel G Man. I for one love the air frames. Are they the best? I for one do not really care they work great for me and for alot of others on here. One reason I picked them is the fact that they are 1" wider in the front. I could not stand the narrow factory boards. I am sure Mads work good, but to say airframes are a waste of money is wrong and besides they look alot better than stock or Mads. If they were truly a waste of money they would not be coppied by so many others. But hey everyone has an opinion right.:face-icon-small-hap

V
Jul 4, 2008
orem, utah
let's please not turn this into a bashing airframes thread. Like i said in the original post, i only used them as a reference because they were on buddies sled. I think they are a great product and to each their own. I just wanted to tell everyone about my positive experience with madfab boards and black off plates.

Vernon

skibreeze

Lifetime Membership
Dec 4, 2005
Colorado Springs
How do you really feel G Man. I for one love the air frames. Are they the best? I for one do not really care they work great for me and for alot of others on here. One reason I picked them is the fact that they are 1" wider in the front. I could not stand the narrow factory boards. I am sure Mads work good, but to say airframes are a waste of money is wrong and besides they look alot better than stock or Mads. If they were truly a waste of money they would not be coppied by so many others. But hey everyone has an opinion right.:face-icon-small-hap

Today, they really aren't a great value. Madsigntist's inserts are 1/5th the cost of airframes. Even the Burandt boards are less than 1/2 the price of airframes. Airframes are nice, I own a set, but with the other options that are available now, I'd never buy them or any of the other boards that copied them, they simply aren't worth it.

D
Oct 13, 2008
Today, they really aren't a great value. Madsigntist's inserts are 1/5th the cost of airframes. Even the Burandt boards are less than 1/2 the price of airframes. Airframes are nice, I own a set, but with the other options that are available now, I'd never buy them or any of the other boards that copied them, they simply aren't worth it.

To each their own. Nice thing about competition it lowers pricing and gives more options.

Last edited:
G

gman086

Feb 5, 2008
Portland, OR

The width is certainly a valid point, especially for those with large feet. Lucky for me I have standard sized feet and the stock boards are perfect for me so I'm thankful to have that extra $300+ dollars in my pocket this holiday season. And I'd like to thank skibreeze for swaying me in the direction of the Mad Fab boards as I was certainly skeptical at first. They saved my season last year when the snow got deep and wet.

Cheers,

G

Last edited:
Premium Features