• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Long range rifle scope?

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
What would you guys recomend for a long range scope on a 22-250. It is used for predator calling, targets, and prairie dogs. I have up to a $600 budget. I would like a bdc or mildot dont know which one would be best for me im new to long range, want zeroing turrets so i can do some turret turning on targets and praire dogs.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I have a Nikon M-223 on my AR-15. It was pretuned for my caliber and bullet grain. I like it a lot.
It's NOT an MOA turret, it's an actual yardage turret.

I like it a LOT. My daughter, when she was about 11, hit an exploding target (I think it was the 1/2 pound size) at 421 yards. That scope flat out WORKS out of the box!!!!!

I just put a Vortex Viper LR 4-16 x 44 with BDH reticle (I think that's what it's called) on my .300 Win Mag. It was $450.
These Vortex Viper optics are Swarovski quality. NOT kidding. I have both.

Ordered a yardage turret (MOA turret is awesome for bench shooting, but can be cumbersome for hunting). Haven't gotten to fire it yet, but I love this scope. It's REALLY freakin clear on 16x at 100 yards. Holy crap that's a great bench scope too.

With the MOA turret gone and the yardage turret in place...I can't wait to set up on a bull at 450 yards and range it, dial it and squeeze. Won't need the ballistics app on my phone when hunting now.

Last edited:
H
Nov 26, 2007
Back in Idaho
I typically have the Leupolds on all my Cooper 20 caliber varmint rigs as I really like their Varmint Hunter reticle. I have a VX-L in the 4x14 and a VX-3 6.5x20. These are a bit over your budget, but you can get a VX-3 4x14x40mm with the Varmint hunter's reticle for about 600.

Though, I have some friends with the Vortex and they feel the same way as Scott. They love them.

Vern

Lifetime Membership
Jun 14, 2004
hyrum utah
Vortex is getting pretty popular these days, I don't have one of there scopes but I have a set of there binos and there everybit as clear as some of the higher priced stuff I looked through. Also vortex has an awesome warranty, you break it they fix/replace it no questions asked.

B

BikerPepe`

Nov 2, 2011
N.E. Washington
I don't now much about scopes but I recently picked up a 30-06 with a Center-Point scope, one of the cheapos. I contacted them about replacement parts for the red/green lighted cross-hairs and once they confirmed the model, they sent me the parts (battery cap and lens caps) for free, without me even asking. I was just trying to find them and they sent them out before I could even ask about purchase.

If they're willing to do that for a second hand purchase on one of of their cheaper models, I'll be remembering them when it's time for a new scope, for sure.

Blu Du

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2008
Nisswa Mn.
I have a vari x 3 6.5 -20 on my 22-250. it is 15 yrs old now. back then it was one of the best. now i have been buying some Nikon stuff that i am impressed with

Elkaholic4life

Twin Peaks
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 19, 2013
Portland, OR
I have 3 long range scopes, "NightForce" out of your price range. One of the most important things you can do is make sure the retical matches the turets. For example, you talked about the mil dot retical "which I dont care for but it's a personal preference" make sure you get MIL turets not MOA turets

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
For the price, you cannot beat Vortex. I own several Vortex scopes, binoculars and spotting scopes. Something no one has mentioned yet is the Vortex warranty. They have a no questions asked policy. They will replace it no matter what, ask me how I know. You send it in, if it's broken, they repair or replace for free. FOR THE LIFETIME OF THE OPTIC. And it is fully transferable to someone else if you sell it. Also, they will do cleaning/reconditioning on your optic free of charge. I just sent in a pair of bino's and my spotter to have them gone through.

On my ELR (extended long range) rifles, I shoot Nightforce only, but that's a bit above your price range.

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
Vortex is getting pretty popular these days, I don't have one of there scopes but I have a set of there binos and there everybit as clear as some of the higher priced stuff I looked through. Also vortex has an awesome warranty, you break it they fix/replace it no questions asked.
Guess I should read a little better before I open my mouth haha

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
I went and looked at the m223 was really impressed with it. I can get one dirt cheap so it will work on my 22-250 until my ar build is done then ill just find a new one with a little more power for my 22-250.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I went and looked at the m223 was really impressed with it. I can get one dirt cheap so it will work on my 22-250 until my ar build is done then ill just find a new one with a little more power for my 22-250.

Make sure you get the model with the turret that's set-up for your .22-250.
The m223 is calibrated for .223 ballistics.

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
Well i do t know if i can get this scope for what i was thinking. I might just end up getting a vortex viper hs lr for 375-400.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
You can use any scope for ANY rifle...you can put a $2000 Night Force on a Ruger 10/22, but you just may not be able to use the turrets. :)

smwizzz

Lifetime Membership
May 6, 2008
Ft McMurray, AB
Thanks!!!

Great Info!!!

I have a handful of scopes. I have never owned one with adjustable turret or a Zeiss, Swarvsky or Vortek. I do own Bushnel, Leopold, Redfield, Nikon, Tasco, Barsca and a few others I can't recall. Each was purchased at a point in my life and reflect the budget of the times along with the rifle they were being installed on. I have illuminated cross hairs along with cross hairs with increments (can't recall the technical name). I recently purchased 3 scopes. Earlier in the spring I purchased a Barska for my SKS with the bolt cover with scope mounts. At the time, I read about this kit and the negatives outweighed the positives so considering the cost, decided the kit with the cheap scope was a better choice than purchasing the rear cover and spending a large sum on a scope to go with it. The scope performs great for a real budget price. The bolt cover on the other hand required about 6 - 8 hrs of honing and tig welding to become a great addition to the rifle. Not long after I purchased a rifle with a Redfield scope. At the time I did not know much about Redfield, it was just a good buy on the rifle. Since, I read about Redfield and discovered they have been around for close to 100 years and have been purchased by Leopold. I am very happy with this scope and have found the eye relief to be very forgiving not to mention the clarity of the lens is very impressive. They also have a very good warantee. A month or so ago I took some advise on a scope for a 17 WSM and purchased a Nikon. I like the scope. It is not the nicest scope I have ever used as the eye relief is not as forgiving as Leopold and my new Redfield. I really like the elevation increments marked on the crosshairs allowing changes without dials or guess work. Obviously there is a learning curve to these increments that a few practice sessions take care of.

I am still a big fan of Leopold for the average guy. They have made rifle scopes for many years and have vast knowledge of the practical shooter. They are not the cheapest on the market but they do have a respectable entry level price for a high quality product. They have expensive scopes as well that have more extensive features for varying types of shooting.

I am a firm believer that you spend as much as you can afford on the scope. A great scope makes shooting an even better experience!!!

Z

zr600

Oct 26, 2001
Bismarck ND
Well i just found the burris mtac 4.5-14 at cabelas ordered it for $249 originally $549. Sale is good through tonite if anybody sees this and is interested. But i have looked through it locally dont have a cabelas close to me, but it seems to be a little more clear then the vortex viper, and really close to a nikon monarc 3. It has mil dots for the reticle.

Premium Features