• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

KX500 tips

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
Been on a kx5oo 4 seasons now. here are a few things learned both the easy and hard way, for anyone else considering a build:

-The easy stuff, you need to heat carb with coolant, carb jacket, primer if you dont have a lectron. decompressor is nice.

-they like being cold. 80F is no big deal.

-A piston will last around 60hrs or a season for me. starting to look rough at that point.

-crank seals and brg look like they need to be changed after 4 seasons. runout was getting a little out there, color of the bearings was turning, stator side crank seal leaked a bit.

-The stator side engine cover leaks around where the wiring comes in. goop this up real good and check often. i put a drain plug in the bottom of my stator cover for checking. If the stator gets wet, it will run fine until the next time you get the engine temp up high around 150F, then it will lose spark and you need a new stator.

-The design of the head is terrible. there is lots of additional power by cranking the timing way beyond what is advised. at your own risk obviously.

-the teeth that engage the kickstarter are cast, not machined. sometimes the kicker wont engage too well when cold. you can take the shaft out and clean up the teeth by hand

-design of the exhaust in the cylinder is terrible. watch for cracks in the thin spots. The nicasil will start wearing first above the main exhaust port.

-dont get sucked in to a high $$ cylinder job if you are keeping the stock pipe, timing and carb. it wont change anything.

-with cylinder work, pipe, timing, the lectron 44 made 3-4 horse thru the whole rev range.

-the whole powervalve setup is quite shoddy. you can shim them up to work better.

-they are very good on fuel as they can be lugged most of the day. They make more torque at 4000rpm than most bikes do wide open.

-tried all the reeds. they all make about the same power. VF2, VF3, spacers yadda yadda. splitting hairs.

H
Feb 18, 2011
British Columbia
Great post!
Will have to check my starter gear this summer.

I laugh and roll my eyes when someone tells me to "rev it out more, cuz it's a 2 stroke"

Something else worth noting, is how reliable they are (my bike is close to stock) I "finished out the day" basically rode the whole day in deep snow with a blown head gasket (no coolant) but the snow kept my temps in check. All I did was replace gaskets and torque down. Put another handful of rides on bike before I slapped the new piston in.

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
mines basically an 04.

learned some more stuff today. on a stockish motor and pipe, the lectron 44 makes 2 more over the whole rpm range than the billet smartcarb 40mm.

the cylinder seems to be the biggest bottleneck. wouldnt worry about big carbs etc with a stock jug.

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
I am building an 03 Kx 500 for a second bike this winter. I got to ride it on dirt so far and it is a torq monster. It seems to have good compression and I was thinking of just running with it. But wondering what u think. Would u freshen it up before winter? I ordered a lectron for it and plan on going with avid profucts carb heat. Thanks for the post. I am interested in any other suggestions u may have. It would be nice not to have to learn every lesson the hard way

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

lundracing

Lifetime Membership
Nov 14, 2011
Rolla, ND
I am building an 03 Kx 500 for a second bike this winter. I got to ride it on dirt so far and it is a torq monster. It seems to have good compression and I was thinking of just running with it. But wondering what u think. Would u freshen it up before winter? I ordered a lectron for it and plan on going with avid profucts carb heat. Thanks for the post. I am interested in any other suggestions u may have. It would be nice not to have to learn every lesson the hard way

d0eb3a8b1a9c6b21d866a1bbecc9a289.jpg

Premium Features