• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How to clean 6 month old gas out?

G
Oct 14, 2010
Hi, I have an '09 Summit X that has 6 month old gas sitting in it. No Sta-bil was added. Is it possible to get away without cleaning the carbs completely or is that the only option at this point? Anything else I should do? Someone mentioned checking the fuel lines and potentially replacing them if the gas in them gelled up. I also heard about blowing some compressed air through there and to get potential gunk out of the fuel pump with compressed air. Others have ran fuel with carb cleaner. Haven't done this before so would prefer to keep things simple, but don't wanna make things worse either. Any advice on how to proceed safely would be great and if there's any instructions on how to clean the carbs (if necessary) that would be awesome too.

Thanks a lot!

cubby

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
How much fuel is in it? If there isn't much in there I would fill it up, throw a litlle octane booster in it and run it. 6 month old gas isn't that bad IMO

xpspenziv

Premium Member
Feb 19, 2009
hanging out in a tree well at the top.
I would siphon the tank, drain bowls and run some fresh fuel with a good carb inj cleaner additive and see how it runs. Take it through a few heat cycles to kinda flush all lines of any varnish. New set of plugs. If its running ruff you might have to pull crabs and clean out jets and pilot jets. Trouble free way for the season would be to pullem. Did you ever run it over the summer?

There are shop guys on here that r running specials for preseason tuneups.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
With a match.

Put some startron enzyme in it let it sit then drain it and put new gas in, might be fine might not you will know the first time you get on it.

G
Oct 14, 2010
Great info. So it looks like I should drain the tank and bowls, add some Star Tron enzyme or carb injector cleaner and try running it. Is there any benefit to putting the enzyme cleaner in the old fuel before siphoning it or should I just put it in with the new fuel?

I can't recall how much gas is in there (it's not currently at my house). I think I rode it and then stored it without filling the tank, which means less than half a tank probably.

Not sure how to strip the tank to look for water deposits, but I'm guessing I'll notice how bad the fuel looks when I siphon it right?

Any advice for a mechanic around Portland, OR that won't charge an arm and a leg for labor? I've been doing most of the work myself so far, but it wouldn't hurt to have a backup for some trickier jobs.

Thanks again. Can't wait to get out and ride.

WyoBoy1000

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Red Lodge MT to North, CO
personally I would just throw some enzyme in (because I have a case of it sitting here) let it sit for a bit and start it, if it runs it will be fine. I have left sleds longer than that without anything and been fine. But its not a bad idea to drain the gas out of everything and start with new (I do on my mod sleds) even if its just pulling the drain on the bowl and get most of the gas out of the tank.

M
Jun 3, 2010
NAPA sells products to clean the tank. Treat and drain the tank. Inspect the fuel lines closely, E-10 gas will turn a "tea color" as it goes bad. This crap fuel will begin to deteriorate in a month. You need to use this fuel quickly.

I would pull the carbs and clean them up good. Any jet suspected of being plugged, change it.

A few hours of work for a piece of mind is worth the effort. Not checking could cost you a top end and unwanted down time. Good luck.

Premium Features