• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

How does a burnt/overheated belt look like?

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
There is a light colored thread in the middle of the belt, see how in some parts it turned black? If clutch sheaves are clean, how could this discoloration occur? Could this be an indication of overheated belt? On the picture this is ultimax belt, but I had the same discoloration on polaris OEM belt

ZzKVXmR.jpg

Ft5Mx7m.jpg

rydningen

Premium Member
May 9, 2009
Northern Norway
I dont think it is anything to worry about, seen it on brand new belts.

My guess it is caused by the belt being cut at the same point all around it, and the cords being put on the mold from one side to the other during production.

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
The pic is a little blurry, but that belt looks ok from what I can see. Usually overheated belts look "glazed" ... they get shiny and smooth on the outsides, kind of an oily look almost. They look like they've been overheated....you'll know if when you see it.

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
I have a brand new polaris OEM belt and it is "light colored" all around. I am not really worried about it, just curious what might be causing this as I am pretty positive this is caused by use

glowa

Lifetime Membership
Oct 11, 2014
Europe
The pic is a little blurry, but that belt looks ok from what I can see. Usually overheated belts look "glazed" ... they get shiny and smooth on the outsides, kind of an oily look almost. They look like they've been overheated....you'll know if when you see it.

sorry about bad pic, the belt is definitely not glazed. Is overheated belt more prone to slip or fail?

J

Jaynelson

Nov 26, 2007
Nelson BC
sorry about bad pic, the belt is definitely not glazed. Is overheated belt more prone to slip or fail?

It would be, but I think you’re ok on that one. Polaris belts often glaze up and/or pull cords before blowing, and you notice performance suffering ...gives you a warning period typically

LoudHandle

Lifetime Membership
Apr 21, 2011
Valdez, AK
If I’m understanding what you are trying to say / what you are looking at?

I will try to explain, during manufacturing the lower half of the belt is molded, followed by the light colored (assuming Kevlar for that one due to the color) is then continuously wrapped around the lower portion of the belt (think level wind reel, one layer all the way across the mold, which may be many feet wide). Then they finish molding the upper / outer half. After curing the belts are removed from the mold, cut to width and appropriate angle. When it’s cut, you will see cord part of the way around and the rubber between the cords part of the way around. Very normal.

Like mentioned by the others, the rubber will glaze when it’s been slipping / getting overheated. This glaze has a much lower frictional coefficient and leads to even more slipping and loss of performance. (Similar to when your wife rides the brakes or clutch and fries the pads). lol

With proper clutching the belt should never slip, nor overheat. I have to laugh at the blow hole clutch fans, because if your clutching is actually working correctly the clutches and belt run pretty cool. You should be able to touch them without getting a burn, bare handed. FWIW

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Premium Features