• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

H.R. 980 South Dakota Stephanie Herseth's responce

snow_knight

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
Although quite late on getting back to me on the issue, I finally got one out of three responces back from S.D. representatives.

I figured I would post it, for others to see how some of the other states are looking at the subject.
here it is:

Dear Rocky:

Thank you for contacting me regarding H.R. 980, the Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act (NREPA). I appreciate hearing from you.

H.R. 980 was introduced by Representative Carolyn Maloney of New York and would designate Wilderness, Wild and Scenic Rivers and other conservation areas in five states: Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, and Wyoming. Overall, the bill designates approximately 24 million acres of Wilderness, 1,800 miles of Wild and Scenic Rivers, three million acres of biological connecting corridors, and one million acres of wildland restoration and recovery areas.

On May 5, 2009, the House Committee on Natural Resources Subcommittee on National Parks, Forests, and Public lands-of which I am a member-held a legislative hearing on H.R. 980. Since this hearing, no further action has been taken on the bill.

I have serious concerns with H.R. 980 in its present form. Many of the Members of Congress whose districts are directly affected by the Wilderness and Wild and Scenic Rivers designations do not support H.R. 980. When considering this type of federal land bill, I afford the affected districts and their congressional representatives' judgment a great deal of weight in my decision-making process. In order for wilderness designations and similar conservation measures to succeed, proponents must build local support and consensus among a diverse set of stakeholders. This consensus-building process must include individuals and organizations whose industries and recreation activities depend on federal land and resources. Clearly, the Members of Congress who represent these districts are not convinced that the necessary level of local support has been reached.

Furthermore, the Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act would create new wilderness areas and include current wilderness areas for a total of 24,322,915 wilderness acres in total. This is a large amount of land, and I am not convinced that we can preserve the Bureau of Land Management and U.S. Forest Service's commitment to the public lands policy of "multiple use" while simultaneously placing large restrictions on the use of so many acres of public land. Indeed, both the Bureau of Land Management and the U.S. Forest Service have presented their views to the subcommittee and oppose H.R. 980 in its current form. Public lands belong to all Americans, and it is important that we preserve the rights for all people to enjoy and benefit from these natural treasures.

I will continue to monitor H.R. 980, and I will keep your comments in mind as the Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act proceeds through the legislative process. Thank you again for taking the time to contact me about this important issue.

Sincerely,
Stephanie Herseth Sandlin
Member of Congress

D
Oct 17, 2008
Oak Grove, MN
Glad to see your response was related to HR 980. On the other hand, this is the "auto canned" response I got back from our congressman "Keith Ellison" in MN.

Dear Mr. Gutierrez,

Thank you for your interest in my work in Congress. I am honored to hear from you and proud to represent you. Since coming to Congress, I have been working very hard to advance my policy agenda based on four key priorities - peace, prosperity for working families, environmental sustainability and support for human and civil rights. I want to assure you that my priorities have not changed and that I will continue to fight for Minnesota's working families in Washington.

In my capacity on the House Financial Services Committee I have been working to protect families from losing their homes. The housing foreclosure crisis has served as the harbinger for the greatest financial and economic crisis since the Great Depression. On May 7, 2009, the House passed H.R. 1728, the Mortgage Reform and Anti-Predatory Lending Act, which included key policy provisions from my legislation H.R. 1247, the Protecting Tenants at Foreclosure Act of 2009. H.R. 1728 establishes minimum federal standards and places a ban on many of the most harmful and abusive mortgage lending practices including provisions from my legislation which will protect renters in properties that have been foreclosed upon from being forced into homelessness through no fault of their own.

You may also be interested to know that at the beginning of the 111th Congress, I was appointed to serve on the House Committee on Foreign Affairs. When it comes to Congressional actions that affect our relationships with foreign governments and citizens, I believe U.S. policy should reflect the same principles that drive our domestic policy: respect for differences, commitment to peace and improving the lives of all people. My work on the Committee has focused on redefining U.S. policy toward Pakistan and Afghanistan, finding solutions to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict that recognize the human suffering of innocent civilians on both sides and expanding opportunities for American business abroad. I am excited to work with my colleagues to help restore America's leadership abroad and to work towards peaceful and sensible solutions to the problems we face on the global stage.

I will continue to work to build on the successes of the 110th Congress and to ensure greater prosperity for our nation by helping to make our government work for all American's again.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any issue of concern. You can also sign up for our e-newsletter by visiting our website at www.ellison.house.gov.

Sincerely,

Keith Ellison
United States House of Representatives

This is an unmonitored email account. Please use our webform at http://ellison.house.gov to contact our office. Replies to this email will not be read.

R

Rob1334

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Feb 26, 2008
Bismarck, ND
Glad to see your response was related to HR 980. On the other hand, this is the "auto canned" response I got back from our congressman "Keith Ellison" in MN.

Dear Mr. Gutierrez,

Thank you for your interest in my work in Congress. I am honored to hear from you and proud to represent you. Since coming to Congress, I have been working very hard to advance my policy agenda based on four key priorities - peace, prosperity for working families, environmental sustainability and support for human and civil rights. I want to assure you that my priorities have not changed and that I will continue to fight for Minnesota's working families in Washington.

In my capacity on the House Financial Services Committee I have been working to protect families from losing their homes. The housing foreclosure crisis has served as the harbinger for the greatest financial and economic crisis since the Great Depression. On May 7, 2009, the House passed H.R. 1728, the Mortgage Reform and Anti-Predatory Lending Act, which included key policy provisions from my legislation H.R. 1247, the Protecting Tenants at Foreclosure Act of 2009. H.R. 1728 establishes minimum federal standards and places a ban on many of the most harmful and abusive mortgage lending practices including provisions from my legislation which will protect renters in properties that have been foreclosed upon from being forced into homelessness through no fault of their own.

You may also be interested to know that at the beginning of the 111th Congress, I was appointed to serve on the House Committee on Foreign Affairs. When it comes to Congressional actions that affect our relationships with foreign governments and citizens, I believe U.S. policy should reflect the same principles that drive our domestic policy: respect for differences, commitment to peace and improving the lives of all people. My work on the Committee has focused on redefining U.S. policy toward Pakistan and Afghanistan, finding solutions to the Israeli-Palestinian conflict that recognize the human suffering of innocent civilians on both sides and expanding opportunities for American business abroad. I am excited to work with my colleagues to help restore America's leadership abroad and to work towards peaceful and sensible solutions to the problems we face on the global stage.

I will continue to work to build on the successes of the 110th Congress and to ensure greater prosperity for our nation by helping to make our government work for all American's again.

Please do not hesitate to contact me with any issue of concern. You can also sign up for our e-newsletter by visiting our website at www.ellison.house.gov.

Sincerely,

Keith Ellison
United States House of Representatives

This is an unmonitored email account. Please use our webform at http://ellison.house.gov to contact our office. Replies to this email will not be read.
HAha, wow, doesn't even mention the Bill.... Still nothing back from our reps tho, will post when I get it....

snow_knight

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Black Hills,SD
I just dont like the fact that she says "I dont support it in its current state"...

Well she shouldnt support the damn thing at all IMO

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
Yeah, like someone offering to watch her kid so she doesn't have to take it into session.;)

There should be a question and answer page that goes along with the bill and in order for it to pass all of the people voting on it must answer all the questions correctly and the only way for them to do that would be by reading the whole bill. Passing of bills has become nothing more than a "I'll do this for you if you vote on this" and less about the issue.

Premium Features