• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Golden Family Riding

S
Nov 26, 2007
Cowtown, AB
I'm taking my family to Golden for some sleding and skiing. I've got 5&7 yr old daughters that ride a Polaris 120. Any idea where I can take them in the Golden area that has an open area close to the vehicle parking where we can roast weeners and let the girls bomb around on thier 120 (maybe a little trail riding)?

I'd like to stay away from the main areas so they don't get run down.

Appreciate the tips,

McGreg.

G
Dec 8, 2007
The Susan Lake trail is perfect for beginners. I took my two sons there last year. If you stop by the sled rental place attached to the Golden Rim Motel in Golden, they will give you a map of the location and trail.

K

KKRDR

Dec 13, 2007
Calgary, Alta
Actually, if the Chatter Creek road isn't plowed out from the gravel pit you can ride for 90+ km to Hope Creek or the Lodge , maybe hang out at the Harbour by the tug boats. There are lots of areas to ride off of the road. Its the same road as the Susan Lake road. Just don't ride on the Lakes along the road, they tend to not be frozen this early.

P
Nov 28, 2007
Kitimat B.C.
"Up at the blaeberry staging area is a open field that worker great for us when our boys were young."

only advice given worth following for youngsters on a 120.

hospital has a groomed trail that is pretty mellow for 8 km or so

S
Nov 26, 2007
Cowtown, AB
Thanks for the tips. The blaeberry staging area sounds like the ticket. My kids have not spent much time on thier 120 yet; if they do well I may try them on a trail ride.

Do any of the trails have cabins other than Quartz?

P

portgrinder

Nov 26, 2007
Edmonton
From the looks of it there might be logs coming out of there this winter. so just keep that in the back of your mind. Blaeberry is the best for that stuff though.

S
susan lake or blaeberry both would be great

neither have cabins. I've seen many families head up to susan lake and go ice fishing for the day. most of the the road is plowed to km12- the turn off on the Big Bend Road for Susan lake.
Then its only another 5 to 8 km to the lake(maybe less)

Blaeberry is not plowed unless they are logging up there.
Its a road that goes on for 40km or so.
both roads are novice rated.
If you go to Susan lake you will have the chance
to play on the frozen lake (elev. 5500 ft).
If the snow gods are gracious there might even be some fresh snow to play in around the lake. If the trail has been made to Jeb Tower(6200ft) I would head up there and take a look down on susan lake.
Its an old cement fire tower that got caught in a fire that
swept thru there quite a few years ago.

Where as the Blaeberry stays in the valley (elev. 2500 to 3500 ft).

Another trail I would suggest would be the Mount 7 FSR. 12km trip to the top of a mountain with a beautiful view of the valley.
It is the closest to town. (actually you stage about 200 yards from a residential area.) easy trail to drive on. Quick and fast. No traffic because its a dead end road. their is no sleding area at the top. just a big parking lot. did I mention a great view of the whole valley!

Hospital Creek would be great but they run sled tours thru there. the trail is always groomed(12 /13 km). They ask for a donation(tour operators). there is a cabin there but is not really meant for the public. the tour operators feed their patrons there and they have a fire going. Most of the people on these tours are newbies/tourists.

I hope this helps. When you get into town be sure to grab a
visitors guide of golden. It has all the maps of the area that you'll need to find all these places.
My 2 cents
Chris

cabin and tour setup at Hospital
DSC05042sm.JPG

DSC05043sm.JPG

Last edited:
Premium Features