• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Genesis 995 motor setup

D
Hey guys, just bought a 995 with big air carbs and CPI twin pipes. I have it in my chasis and am trying to get it some what tuned before I take it out for the first time, but not finding much out there for recomendations. I have also tried to get in contact with PSI multiple times without success (man their customer service sucks!!!). I know that there are a couple of people out there that have had success with these motors and tuning. I'm just looking for any advice on how to set this up for the first ride and also how to adjust the carbs correctly ie. what the different adjustments actually do and which way to turn them to make them leaner and richer.
Thanks for your help.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Ok aside from Bruce (owner and SOLE employee of PSI) being a crook and a chunk......

You need to know how to set up your engine.

What chassis clutches and elevation are you using?

PS...word of advice. Don't send anything to Bruce to work on. There are WAY better people in this world to deal with. I owned a PSI 1155 twin for 6 years. Ran it for a GREAT 4 years and then for about a 3 rides after that over a two year span.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
rule #1 listen to Scott.....

rule#2 never ever ever sent money or parts to psi ....ever do a search

rule #3 big air carbs go in garbage,imho get a set of lectrons or mikunis and egt guage and a/f guage. run good gas and heavy on the premix.

these were and are really great motors back in the day just forget parts and forget psi, give cmx a call,or brad (1200psi on here,power addiction) best of luck

R

Ryanlilly

Jan 18, 2011
Enumclaw, Washington
I've heard all the horror stories about Bruce and PSI. I've had nothing but good experences with him. I orderd a set of dial a domes from him about 6 months ago. They showed up in a timely manner. Every time i' ve called he has help to the best of his ability. Try calling during the day, that is when I have reached him.

Im not saying he hasn't done people wrong in the past, just sharing my experences.

Good luck!

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I've heard all the horror stories about Bruce and PSI. I've had nothing but good experences with him. I orderd a set of dial a domes from him about 6 months ago. They showed up in a timely manner. Every time i' ve called he has help to the best of his ability. Try calling during the day, that is when I have reached him.

Im not saying he hasn't done people wrong in the past, just sharing my experences.

Good luck!

I ran his parts on my 01 RMK 800 before I bought my 1155. ALWAYS had GREAT things to say about him. Always had great experiences with him. I've defended him on here for about 8 years....until 2008.

R

Ryanlilly

Jan 18, 2011
Enumclaw, Washington
I ran his parts on my 01 RMK 800 before I bought my 1155. ALWAYS had GREAT things to say about him. Always had great experiences with him. I've defended him on here for about 8 years....until 2008.

It really sucks when people dont value quailty costumer service. Goes to show why so many people have a problem with him.

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
It really sucks when people dont value quailty costumer service. Goes to show why so many people have a problem with him.

When you own a biz....generally a lack of customer service, despite a possibly great product, will bit you in the end.
He treated me great on the small stuff from 2002 through 2008. O-rings, gaskets, thermostats, dial o dome parts, etc etc etc. PROMPT shipping and all.

But when it came to cranks, rods and his warranty on the big stuff...now THAT was a whole other ball game.
The abridged version of that story is that I paid for the same crank twice...on less than 150 miles.

Now back to dkscott99's tuning.

:focus:
Whatcha runnin, dude? We can help ya.

Turbotater

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Magic Valley, Idaho
Hey guys, just bought a 995 with big air carbs and CPI twin pipes. I have it in my chasis and am trying to get it some what tuned before I take it out for the first time, but not finding much out there for recomendations. I have also tried to get in contact with PSI multiple times without success (man their customer service sucks!!!). I know that there are a couple of people out there that have had success with these motors and tuning. I'm just looking for any advice on how to set this up for the first ride and also how to adjust the carbs correctly ie. what the different adjustments actually do and which way to turn them to make them leaner and richer.
Thanks for your help.

If the screws are in front of the slide (engine side) they control fuel. Counter clockwise rotation is more fuel clockwise is less.
Depending on the series of carbs, some have an air screw for idle. It will be behind the slide (air box side). Clockwise is less air counter clockwise is more air.
The top of the carb has an access hole to the needle. With an allen wrench you can turn the needle adjuster from there. Clockwise is leaner counter clockwise is richer.

D
It's in a gen2 chassis with a 163" track, K&N air filters, P85 primary, team roller secondary and I am running it premixed 40:1. I usually ride from 7-11,000 feet. In the primary it currently has a blue and pink spring with 68 gram weights. In the secondary it has a black and purple, I can't remember which helix I have in there right now. I have the dial a domes set to 3 right now which is about 175 lbs of compression. I currently have a 50/50 premium and 110 octane gas mix in the sled. Don't know if it's possible or a good idea on these motors, but I was hoping to get away with pump gas, because I do a lot of trips all of the western US and don't really want to pack gas to badly. I'm guessing right now the thing is setup a mile rich as the EGT's are not climbing and it is a serious puffer. Appreciate your help.

D
thanks for the advice on the carb setup, this will help out tons on the setup. Since I purchased this I've been researching them and have heard a ton of bad news about these carbs. I was just wondering does any one think they work well if you can get them setup correctly?

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
Tater helped you well on the carbs.
Make sure you talk to him about needles too.
I never ran them, but I've heard a lot of people who couldn't figure them out...and a LOT of people who swear by them. You'l have to decide if you want to try them or not. I ran the stock Polaris TM40 flatsides, straight bored out to just under 42mm.

As for your clutching...I can't set up those Teams. Don't have experience with them.

Primary...with a stock P-85 primary, I like to run a 160/310. There are a few springs that make that. I have a titanium black for that, but I know that Pol makes one too. That really makes for a nice smooth engagement (about 3800ish) for boondocking and powder riding. 68g weights sounds really high, especially for a roller clutch. I've usally seen anything from 60 to 64g weights. I had 64g in my 1155 twin (with a cat roller secondary). I'm guessing you'll be in that range too.

I never ran my domes over 150lbs cranking compression in the driveway (3500 feet). That put me REALLY safe up on the mountain above 5000.

Turbotater

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Magic Valley, Idaho
thanks for the advice on the carb setup, this will help out tons on the setup. Since I purchased this I've been researching them and have heard a ton of bad news about these carbs. I was just wondering does any one think they work well if you can get them setup correctly?

The power jets need to be cut so they only hang 1/4 to 1/3 of the way into the carbs instead of half way.
Then pull the float bowls off, look at the floats. If they still slide up and down on the pins on each side they need an update or it will never run consistent.
Floats need to be soldered onto the float arms and the pins pulled out.
Your needles will most likely need to be something like a GAKD144/100 or a 146/102.

The screws on the side toward the front and down low are your pilot jet. Pull them out and check them. It theres a groove in them from being seated too tight get them sanded at the same angle till the groove is gone or replace them.

2XM3

Premium Member
Oct 6, 2008
Bitteroot valley,MT
It's in a gen2 chassis with a 163" track, K&N air filters, P85 primary, team roller secondary and I am running it premixed 40:1. I usually ride from 7-11,000 feet. In the primary it currently has a blue and pink spring with 68 gram weights. In the secondary it has a black and purple,

Blue and pink should be very close, its around 140/340 I like it, whose weights are they? these like mtx (im running 74s) if polaris 10-68 is pretty close. imho , black purple is a ok. gearing 19/42 (around 2.09-2.2) So you are pretty much ok it the clutch department.

IMHO if your running 175 compression @ 7000' i'd up the % of race fuel till I had it dialed in perfect. Also just my opinion but I would NOT try to make this a pump gas deal...it will kill power due to the agressive porting,like running a big cam in a 8-1 motor just does not work good. Experment with a av gas mix, go 100% first ad wean it down as needed.. try around 150 psi cranking at riding elevation, that would be about 30% race to 91 mix imho...CAREFUL THO....:D

Premium Features