• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Front end set up questions

W
Oct 22, 2017
Hoping to hear some opinions from folks with newer Timbersled kits. I picked up a 19 aro 120le, Its going on my 4t 350 with WP 4cs forks(not a favorite of many Moto riders but they are adjusted easily on the fly). As far as set up goes I want to keep the bike as fluid between dirt and snow as possible and I don't have the cash for a trio, trident or a dedicated set of forks. Are heavier fork springs necessary to mitigate the ski pressure with the newer kits? Im going with a fixed strut and going to put a heavier spring on the front shock in the skid, probably 250lb front and maybe 150 on the rear. Is it possible to make this thing lighter on the front with just adjustments in the kit and moving the forks in the clamps? Also im a lite rider, probably 170lb with all my gear including airbag pack. TIA I have learned a lot from ya'll over the years

A
Jan 18, 2018

If you were heavier, I might recomend something different. But for your weight, I wouldn't even change the aro springs. If money is getting tight, buy the air pro, put about 5-8psi in it, tighten the front spring preload on the aro stock spring a few turns and ride that sucker.

Riding with front fork springs that haven't been stiffened up somehow sucks. Learn from others mistakes. Stiffening up the rear springs on the kit will make the front want to dive/sink even more, making it worse.

That being said, my first bikes were setup horrible and I still had a blast! Just my 2c.

TreewellDweller

Lifetime Membership
Feb 18, 2008
McCall, Idaho
Will probably get some kickback on this idea, but it is what I did on my 525SX forks to stiffen them a bit. I added about 1/4"t to 1/2" more shock fluid in the forks. You will have to experiment on the exact amount but it will definitely stiffen things up and keep them from bottoming out.
Take a beginning measurement with a homemade dipstick and write down whatever you add to get your desired result. Come spring, use a large syringe (with tubing) and suck out the oil to get you back to what your beginning dipstick measurement was.
It made all the difference for my setup and I am around 220lbs with my riding gear and backpack. No more bottoming out and very controllable on the trail.
Have heard great things on the AirPro setup. In fact I have an AirPro for a yamaha wr450, but I don't know if it would work on your bike as they all have different threads.
I have hurt my shoulders and wrists bottoming out on holes and going over things so anything will be an improvement. Have fun!!!!!!

S
Do you have a strut shock such as TSS or Zbroz or similar? You definitely need to get your forks stiffened up but the strut shock affects how the forks work. It is amazing how much they will make a difference in your setup even when you don't think it would.

CATSLEDMAN1

Premium Member
Nov 27, 2007
Missoula, Montana
one schrader vale in one fork with 18-20 psi with handle the front. We have found stiffer springs in the kit will help a lot and take some stress off the forks, check old threads the springs on cheap.

Premium Features