• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Epoxy coating on garage floor, Suggestions.

Hi,

I am planning to renovate my garage. I am living in an old house. The garage floors are dirty and damaged with years of oil and grease residue.

I thought about using the epoxy coating on the garage floor after cleaning it. I heard that it protects the concrete from absorbing the oil and grease.

Before I proceed with it I would like to get some feedback. Please share your opinion.

Thanks in advance.

Gideup

Premium Member
Dec 6, 2011
Mnt Rainier, WA
You will need to grind the floor to remove the grease and oil contamination before epoxy application. Other wise all your hard work will delaminate from contaminated areas. Grind floor to a minimum 80 grit for proper adhesion.

C
Nov 29, 2008
You will need to grind the floor to remove the grease and oil contamination before epoxy application. Other wise all your hard work will delaminate from contaminated areas. Grind floor to a minimum 80 grit for proper adhesion.
Degrease first.
Drum sander with 60/80 g
Vacuum & ash
Concrete etching
Epoxy

Sent from my motorola edge plus using Tapatalk

Tahoepow

Lifetime Membership
Aug 7, 2012
North shore Lake Tahoe
I just painted my shop floor with rust-o-leum epoxy paint last week. There were areas of oil stains from motorcycles nothing too deep I guess. Probably 650 sq ft plus the around 18-24" cement stem wall. I had just enough to do the job with 2 boxes of 2 car garage kits. Its easy to mix in the new 2 part bag and applied fairly well. I was surprised to see as many roller marks in the floor. I degreased the oil areas. shop vac and cleaned. Then rinsed with water. then etched with the provided powder. Then rinsed again. I couldn't get the oil out of the cement. But gave an honest effort. While painting you can throw some provided flakes in to spice it up. 3 day job. I had stuff to move around the shop so did half one day and half another day. Its some work. But then again its a garage floor that gets beat up and way easier to clean once painted.

boondocker97

Lifetime Membership
Oct 30, 2008
Billings MT
I looked into epoxy for my garage floor when I moved into my house 6 years ago. The concrete was new, nothing was in the garage, and I thought this would be as good of a time as any. The more I researched the more I realized I probably wouldn't be happy long term with a thin coat DIY job. Especially when I learned even though it was new concrete that if a sealer had been applied (mine had) it needs to be ground off. So I got a quote for a 20mm thick commercial coating with 25year warranty. Was about $7.50/sq ft installed. With just under 1100sq ft I was looking at about $8k. Just didn't have the cash after closing on the house. Still using my bare concrete floor with the sealer that gets gooey any time a petroleum product touches it. ?

Premium Features