• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

DS4 skis vs. DS3 skis

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
Today, I lined up my 2023 Expert with DS4 skis next to my buddy’s 2023 X with DS3 skis so you can see some of the differences from the top:

DDFF391D-3363-4498-8C21-60D4760673F6.jpeg 4EE164E4-8558-4717-B245-C1E42C4C78D3.jpeg

yamiman

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
ND
Has anyone ridden both? I have a new set of ds3 skis to try out next weekend and will see what the differences are.

F
Oct 2, 2011
sask
If I get nudged up to a tree and I want to back up I find the DS4 ski digs into the snow on the backend and points the front of the ski to the air. This is my only gripe with the new ski. Other than that I think it works better in all other areas. Would like to try the DS3 ski on the G5 just to see the difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

summ8rmk

Most handsome
Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 16, 2008
yakima, wa.
The keel looks interesting from the top.
Longer, and flared at the rear.
I would like to see the bottom.
Longer keels stabilize the ski.
That flair at the rear should reduce the floppiness of the old ski.

Sent from my SM-G998U using Tapatalk

NHRoadking

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Apr 23, 2012
If I get nudged up to a tree and I want to back up I find the DS4 ski digs into the snow on the backend and points the front of the ski to the air. This is my only gripe with the new ski. Other than that I think it works better in all other areas. Would like to try the DS3 ski on the G5 just to see the difference

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

I found they work fine backing up, especially with the skis centered.

D

Driver

Dec 22, 2018
DS3 problems came out when it was on hard packed snow or when theres crust or old tracks. Very unpredictable. Maybe carving was slightly easier/less effort on DS3.

I like DS4 a lot more as these issues are now a lot smaller. Keel is more straight forward on DS4 as its on DS3. Old one is like banana if you look it from the side.

But in the end, if the snow is good both of them work.

skank

Lifetime Membership
Feb 25, 2008
Mountain View, Wyoming 82939
I feel the ds4 works well in the fresh snow we are having right now but I think it’s going to be a different story in the crusty spring snow.
The ds4 is more aggressive and is going to be really grabby and wear your shoulders out fast in the spring I think.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Skis are same profile, ds4 tracks forward better(agree with reverse due to less ski at the back) smoother on trail to hard pack, however much hard steering due to rake out(ski further forward in spindle, Ds3 ski sits under the spindle more so way easier steering but more feedback, if you a man you can handle that, ha ha, keel goes to back of ds4 and widens at the back, ds3 keel ends where the ds4 punches out wider. Both work well in good snow, the more feed back is more noticeable in hard pack.

rockinmranch

Premium Member
Nov 29, 2007
I just put ds 3's on my expert. Rode powder, some single track and some groomed trail. On the groomed trail the ds 3 darts around a little, like we are all familiar with from past model ski doos. The ds 4 tracks straighter and wants to stay centered (stay straight). Heading up the single track, off trail but packed, the ds 4 definitely takes more input, steers harder and gives you shoulders a bit more of a workout, yet is very precise and goes exactly where you steer it. Sidehilling, the counter steer on the ds 3 is more forgiving and the transition to tip the sled is smoother than the ds 4. If sitting in my garage on concrete you can feel that the DS 3 has more of a rocker shape. Turn the bars to the right and pull it to the left. It tips easier with the ds 3. I think that transfers a bit on the mountain depending on the snow conditions. I think the keel extending a couple inches further out the back and the flare for the last couple inches is why the DS 4 steer harder and feels a little more temperamental when sidehilling. Just my theory.. I wouldn’t say either is better, just different. If was entered in a hill climb I would run the DS 4 because they are so precise and get a better bite in the snow. For overall mountain riding, boondocking, and ease of steering, I prefer the DS 3. That being said, I have a green set of ds 4s for sale.

die hard poo

Lifetime Membership
Apr 10, 2008
Kenai, AK
That was my assessment too on the DS4s. I now have some polaris gripper skis on it and it fixes the hard to steer and also the problematic dartyness on hard pack both the DS3 and 4 had. Overall I think it works well on the G5. You will need polaris ski bolts as the skidoo bolts are too short for the wider polaris ski saddle if you put grippers on the G5.

E
Dec 19, 2007
Can you run DS4s on a 21 Expert? Save ski rubbers?
You can run any DS ski on any of the Summits/Freerides, and most all the other sleds for that matter. It's not going to save any of the rubbers more that what you have as the ski leg is still raked too far forward, the ski to leg interface is too loose, and the ski still plows instead of lifts because the interface is too loose. The DS4's don't plow as hard but are more forward of the bolt so still plow, not as bad as DS 1-3 versions. A shim and a 1/4-20 bolt will help keep your rubbers in if still using a DS ski....

I
Dec 3, 2021
Wyoming
I just put ds 3's on my expert. Rode powder, some single track and some groomed trail. On the groomed trail the ds 3 darts around a little, like we are all familiar with from past model ski doos. The ds 4 tracks straighter and wants to stay centered (stay straight). Heading up the single track, off trail but packed, the ds 4 definitely takes more input, steers harder and gives you shoulders a bit more of a workout, yet is very precise and goes exactly where you steer it. Sidehilling, the counter steer on the ds 3 is more forgiving and the transition to tip the sled is smoother than the ds 4. If sitting in my garage on concrete you can feel that the DS 3 has more of a rocker shape. Turn the bars to the right and pull it to the left. It tips easier with the ds 3. I think that transfers a bit on the mountain depending on the snow conditions. I think the keel extending a couple inches further out the back and the flare for the last couple inches is why the DS 4 steer harder and feels a little more temperamental when sidehilling. Just my theory.. I wouldn’t say either is better, just different. If was entered in a hill climb I would run the DS 4 because they are so precise and get a better bite in the snow. For overall mountain riding, boondocking, and ease of steering, I prefer the DS 3. That being said, I have a green set of ds 4s for sale.
Still want to sell the skis? Where located and how much you want for them

Premium Features