• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Colorado sled access exploration?

R
Mar 16, 2010
Hey all - hoping to get some discussion about good access spots in CO; yeah, catch-22, we don't want to advertise our "secret" stashes, but finding places to go is tricky.

Not sure how to get around that, frankly. My current plan is to try to go find "new" places.

We've skied Vail, Corona, Buff pass. Mostly Vail - yeah, it "sucks," but generally speaking, I can find good snow there, and the catroads make it beyond easy.

Curious about areas near Montezuma, Cameron, south of Breck.

Anyone up for some exploration? I've got a bunch of ideas, gotta get out and see what's there (once there's snow).

I live in Denver(ish), up most weekends, have a couple of decent sleds. Anyone up for some collaboration/exploration to find something a bit less well known?

RH

jbusch

Premium Member
Feb 10, 2009
Montezuma can be sketchy until later in the season, last time I was there a buddy got caught in a slide in one of the shoots.

D

duckslayer

Mar 30, 2010
Stevenson, wa
Rhalloran i think ive seen you on mountain project maybe?? i live in dillon and am a sledder and vackcountry skiier. also looking for a partner so hit me up when your free or lets collaborate on some missions. ill be back in the area after new years. stay safe

R
Mar 16, 2010
Rhalloran i think ive seen you on mountain project maybe?? i live in dillon and am a sledder and vackcountry skiier. also looking for a partner so hit me up when your free or lets collaborate on some missions. ill be back in the area after new years. stay safe

Willdo! Not me on MP; ? I'll be in touch, though - kinda a moot point right now, the places I've been eyeing are nowhere NEAR ready. Bah.

A

AKdragon700

Jan 14, 2008
Fairbanks, AK
I'm in

I go to school in boulder and just got my sled bed finished and truck ready for winter so whenever it snows im down for some exploration. Got all my backcountry gear and stuff just need some skins for the skis. Let me know ill be back mid january once school starts up again.

M
Apr 3, 2011
Definitely down for some missions. Down for pretty much anywhere. There are some zones a bit deeper in around Wolf Creek Pass that I would like to check out. Also, have never been to Montezuma, but want to get up there towards spring. Just saw this wild slide video from there, yikes!!!:

R
Mar 16, 2010
Yeah, Montezuma is on my list, too - was going to check it out this weekend, but I think I'm going to go with the known quantity.

Next no-new-snow weekend, probably heading out there - will email you/pm/whatever, get a good exploration weekend going. Looks like Montezuma/Snake River/whatever it is called has some decent terrain.

S
Jan 28, 2008
Denver, CO
I don't think I would consider Montezuma an "out of the way" place. That bowl gets hit pretty hard from skiers and sledders alike. It is worth the trip, my advice would be to do it in April or May, once the snow has consilidated and "ski season" is over. There is terrain past the main bowl, it's all above treeline, so not too good this time of the year.

R
Mar 16, 2010
Yeah, agreed - Montezuma is not exactly out of the way, I've just not been there (for skiing) yet.

STILL need more snow to get into where I want to go, dammit.

S
Jan 28, 2008
Denver, CO
Yes, we definately need more snow. I keep telling myself we're going to have a good spring, but who knows. I know there is snowmobiling in the Leadville area. I'm not sure if the terrain is board-friendly or not. We may check it out this season. Have you heard anything about the riding by Leadville?

Premium Features