• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Black Hills/ rec springs area ?

D
Nov 26, 2007
Wondering if they have decent snow down there. Seem to get more trail riders and not many that go off trail.

The few times I have tried to go off trail near Rec. Springs it seemed like there wasnt much opportunity. Sheer rock cliffs, dense trees, not much to do off trail over there.... But like I said, I havent been over there much

R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
There is some good off trail around Rec Springs. Head south to the eastern edge of trail 2. The trails do get beat up and icy around rec springs and the snow can be suspect at times.

S

shortstop20

Nov 26, 2007
South Dakota
We went to Cement Ridge while we were there over Christmas, that's as close as we got to Spearfish Canyon. I found better snow right around Trailshead and south of Trailshead, towards Mallo Camp than what was up north. Seemed like there was plenty by the Rec Springs area too.

S
Dec 2, 2007
Sergeant Bluff
better motel

What motel is better - deadwood gulch resort - Comfort Inn gulches of fun - super 8. I have been told that all are on trail #7. Want to ride from parking lot. They said they have plenty of snow to ride from lot.

J

jr_amsoil

Dec 6, 2007
bismarck, nd
talked to my friends that were out there. said they rode fro deadwood. they also said they found some pretty deep untracked meadows. have fun

L

Lovesnow

Nov 26, 2007
North Dakota
Skidoo 56, they are all good. We have stayed at all of them. Just depends on how much you want to spend. If that doesn't matter, this is how I would rate them.
1 - Comfort Inn
2 - Deadwood Gultch
3 - Supper 8
They are all in the same area, and you can sled from all three. Comfort and Gultch have a bigger lot (for trailor parking), comfort has a bigger bar and good cont. breakfast, nice pool and hot tub. The Gultch has a restraunt, Supper 8 has cont. breakfast. Hope this helps.

Just an FYI the snow in the black hills is Great! We rode the 1st 2nd and 3rd put on about 50 miles a day and only saw the trail when we crossed it. there is great base lots of fresh powder in places. some reports from people staying in Deadwood were that the trails were hammered but this was one of the busiest weekends of the year. Presidents day is the second busiest. Groomers are working as hard as possible to make the trails ridable and should be back in shape by Tuesday the 6th. There is no snow in the forcast for this week but the temp is supposed to be in the low 30's so the snow should be decent all week.

R

Raff_9001M

Nov 27, 2007
Just an FYI the snow in the black hills is Great! We rode the 1st 2nd and 3rd put on about 50 miles a day and only saw the trail when we crossed it. there is great base lots of fresh powder in places. some reports from people staying in Deadwood were that the trails were hammered but this was one of the busiest weekends of the year. Presidents day is the second busiest. Groomers are working as hard as possible to make the trails ridable and should be back in shape by Tuesday the 6th. There is no snow in the forcast for this week but the temp is supposed to be in the low 30's so the snow should be decent all week.

They did put a good chance of snow back in the forecast for Tuesday night into Wednesday. Almost a daily chance from tonight thru Thursday. IF we could get 8" to a 1' to cover up the weekend traffic, should be a great weekend.

S
Dec 2, 2007
Sergeant Bluff
fire trail

Thanks for your recommendation
I have a room with 2 queens at $49 a night at deadwood gulch resort. Now lets hope the groomers have the bumps worked out from last weekend. I know fire trail will do his best. Fire trail are you going to be out riding this week?

Skidoo 56, they are all good. We have stayed at all of them. Just depends on how much you want to spend. If that doesn't matter, this is how I would rate them.
1 - Comfort Inn
2 - Deadwood Gultch
3 - Supper 8
They are all in the same area, and you can sled from all three. Comfort and Gultch have a bigger lot (for trailor parking), comfort has a bigger bar and good cont. breakfast, nice pool and hot tub. The Gultch has a restraunt, Supper 8 has cont. breakfast. Hope this helps.

F

Firetrail

Nov 29, 2007
Sioux Falls, South Dakota
Thanks for your recommendation
I have a room with 2 queens at $49 a night at deadwood gulch resort. Now lets hope the groomers have the bumps worked out from last weekend. I know fire trail will do his best. Fire trail are you going to be out riding this week?

Hello:

I may be riding this weekend. I now live only a mile west of Trailshead. The spacing of the Christmas and New Years holidays made for some very busy weekends up here. ( sorry but the presidents Day weekend is BY FAR the busiest snowmobile weekend in the Hills ) Anyway there is a good base up here mostly from the 5 feet we got early in November. Around here there has not been a "good" snow since. 6-8" here and there and that is about it. We got some warm weather 10 days ago and the trails got ridden hard over New Years and Christmas. It turned cold and the moguls froze. Groomers have a hard time with those conditions and a lot of equipment got broke trying to get the trails fixed. There were some complaints about poor trail conditions but the frozen moguls along with high traffic made keeping up nearly impossible. Groomers were working 50 to 70 hours a day. Good news is that groomers are getting ahead of the mogul mess in most areas and the trails in most of the system are quite good. The off trail is OK but most of the snow people are riding in is "old snow" because we have not had a good "dump" since Nov. Off trail could be better. We did get a a couple inches last nite and it is currently snowing lightly. Supposedly we are to get 7" but it will have to do better than this.

Would I come out here in these conditions?? I think so. Conditions are a 5-6 on a 1-10 IMO and there is some good riding out here for those who care to look for it. It should be a bit better if we do get a little snow this week. Trails will be in excellent condition although many corners and some other areas are icy and caution should be used.

Premium Features