• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best way to drill lage holes in lexan hood

I have a br tech lexan hood that i bought 4 2"id 3"od frogzskins vents for. Im not sure if i shoud make the holes the full 2" or less. I also have no idea what kind of bit i should use. A paddle bit or maybe a holesaw? I am really at a loss of what to use. Id apreciate any advice.

RACINSTATION

Lifetime Membership
Jan 14, 2003
Idaho
I have found that when using a hole saw on hoods and bodywork that I have better luck spinning the saw in reverse. It is less aggressive and will not grab and tear.

I like to go just smaller than finish size and then use a deburring tool to clean up the edges to come to the size I want.

A
Jun 23, 2004
Black Diamond, WA
Full vents in the rubber frame or just stick ons?
Full vents, use a hole saw in reverse.
If it's a stick on vent, mark it out and drill a series of small holes to provide some backing for the material.

black z

Lifetime Membership
Feb 2, 2014
MN
I always use painters or masking tape where the hole will be and drill through the tape, can help to keep the paint from chipping.

joshkoltes

Lifetime Membership
Dec 16, 2007
ranchester, wy - nashua, mn
I usually use a dremel mulit tool, takes concentration but no chance of ripping. plan where you put these though. you don't want them in a place they will start a crack when you hit some branches or roll it over

kevinm7

Lifetime Membership
Dec 6, 2010
Spring Creek, NV
If it's for a large vent, I always had better luck with drilling several small holes to provide some rigidity to the vent. Most vents are pretty flimsy when snow or some other force is pushing against them. Nice to have a little backing material behind that vent for support. Oh, and as others have stated, run the hole saw in reverse. You can make a hell of a mess out of a panel/hood with a hole saw. Ask me how I know haha.....

Premium Features