• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2018 Skidoo SHOT "RE-Starting" system

Idcatman3

MODERATOR: Premium Member
Staff member
Nov 26, 2007
Idaho Falls, Idaho
I like the idea of the SHOT system and would likely order it over the Estart that I currently have but:

It is a $750 option over the manual start and $250 more than the Estart in Canada on the build your sled website.

The price point of the SHOT system appears to be a "gouge" of the customer snow checking a new sled for two reasons: the price of a capacitor bank vs. a battery, wiring harness, starter and ring gear?

Trying to capitalize on the weight savings of the SHOT system over the Estart of about 18 pounds for $250. I haven't confirmed the snowchek incentive package yet for the 2018 but if the SHOT was not at the same price point or below that of Estart I would not snow check a new sled period. JMO

R&D isn't free.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
I like the idea of the SHOT system and would likely order it over the Estart that I currently have but:

It is a $750 option over the manual start and $250 more than the Estart in Canada on the build your sled website.

The price point of the SHOT system appears to be a "gouge" of the customer snow checking a new sled for two reasons: the price of a capacitor bank vs. a battery, wiring harness, starter and ring gear?

Trying to capitalize on the weight savings of the SHOT system over the Estart of about 18 pounds for $250. I haven't confirmed the snowchek incentive package yet for the 2018 but if the SHOT was not at the same price point or below that of Estart I would not snow check a new sled period. JMO

Most people who get e-start get a pull start added, not needed but they do, shot is the same as that would be, if you ordered parts up , if you could add it to an older sled it would 2500.00 so hardly a gouge, and remember you get to choose, cheapest is manual, e-start is second and shot is 3rd...choice is great!

B

Bedhead

Jan 3, 2015
Central MN
This could easily lead to E start systems with no starter and ring gear making future e start systems very light. Especially as battery tech evolves. I have never owned a Skidoo but this is sweet stuff!

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
Most people who get e-start get a pull start added, not needed but they do, shot is the same as that would be, if you ordered parts up , if you could add it to an older sled it would 2500.00 so hardly a gouge, and remember you get to choose, cheapest is manual, e-start is second and shot is 3rd...choice is great!

EHR-choice-630x390.jpg

Mort2112

Lifetime Membership
Dec 30, 2010
Meridian, ID
Bought a 14 XM with an e-start..will never buy without it again. This is the next step..and I wouldn't buy one without it. Saving the weight plus saving the energy through the day is worth it young or old, and I'm a little older.

Clutched Films

Lifetime Membership
SHOT

Will be interesting to know if it has a piston position sensor and stopes the pistons in the same spot every time. Or doesn't care where it stops. Only reason would be for the customers who will buy the SHOT & E-Strat. If the motor stops in the same spot every time for the Shot that might be hard on the ring gear teeth &? Even with the shot doing most the starting while riding? Still Loving the new things coming out of the BRP camp.

Matte Murder

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
May 4, 2011
You choose Shot or e start. Shot comes with manual start but it's an option with e start. In the last 6 years with 7 different Ski Doos with e start I've never once had to pull the rope. Nearly all of those sleds had Shorai lightweight batteries too. Even when it's very cold like below 10F I just had to tickle the battery 2-3 times with the start button and wait 2-3 minutes and they fired right up. I love the e start but if I snow check or buy a 2018 I'll get the Shot.

Andystoy

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2016
Good points by everyone, if you feel that you want to contribute to R&D at $750 for the SHOT system that probably costs less than $200 dollars in parts be my guest. My point is that as a first year item it should be at a price point at or lower than the estart which has more parts, more costs and more risk or warranty than a capacitor bank. As far as my contributing to Skidoo R&D, I believe I bought my first Summit in 1996??? and have owned every first year new model plus many improved models since. All of the sleds were the X model from the time they first came out.

Norona

Lifetime Membership
Dec 17, 2007
North Vancouver, BC
www.noronalife.com
Will be interesting to know if it has a piston position sensor and stopes the pistons in the same spot every time. Or doesn't care where it stops. Only reason would be for the customers who will buy the SHOT & E-Strat. If the motor stops in the same spot every time for the Shot that might be hard on the ring gear teeth &? Even with the shot doing most the starting while riding? Still Loving the new things coming out of the BRP camp.

Nope, it does not matter, there is nothing extra in the shot as far as parts, except in the ecm and the ultra capacitor, unfortunately these two parts would be over 2500.00 to purchase to add it to a sled without instal cost so it wont be offered except as a factory option.

Reg2view

Lifetime Membership
Feb 1, 2010
They are not free, but a Li battery is also a worthwhile upgrade, or replacement after your stock battery tanks in a couple of years. They last longer, if you maintain them, then lead acid. The weight different is amazing, and with the elimination of a primary ring gear on the 850, gives you another option for using your GPS with the motor down (which, if course, you can do with any small 12v battery) with minimal penalty.

The innovations in mt sleds the past 15 years has dramatically increased performance for off trail, more than any other off-road power sport. My top-of-the-line 2000 Summit 700 136 2.0/1.75 track is laughable compared to the capabilities of today's stock sleds.

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
They are not free, but a Li battery is also a worthwhile upgrade, or replacement after your stock battery tanks in a couple of years. They last longer, if you maintain them, then lead acid. The weight different is amazing, and with the elimination of a primary ring gear on the 850, gives you another option for using your GPS with the motor down (which, if course, you can do with any small 12v battery) with minimal penalty.

The innovations in mt sleds the past 15 years has dramatically increased performance for off trail, more than any other off-road power sport. My top-of-the-line 2000 Summit 700 136 2.0/1.75 track is laughable compared to the capabilities of today's stock sleds.

Previously I upgraded you Nytro from Lead-Acid to Lithium.
Saved a TON of weight and worked just fine over many years of use.
But they DO come at a cost.

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
I wonder if someone will make a AC or even a DC conversion so a person could plug in the sled and charge the ultra capacitor , so they would not have to manually start it for the first start of the day .

C
Feb 8, 2014
My biggest question is will the shot interfere with my Avy transiver? I know for a fact if my 850 is running and I am in search mode totally the sled screws with my readings. If it does with the sled off I will not buy the Shot

christopher

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 2008
Rigby, Idaho
My biggest question is will the shot interfere with my Avy transiver? I know for a fact if my 850 is running and I am in search mode totally the sled screws with my readings. If it does with the sled off I will not buy the Shot
Thats a great question..

A

ak

Dec 7, 2007
No it will not at all interfere with an avalanche transceiver. cheers dave

What's the lifespan of this capicator? And what's it going to cost to replace?

Maybe to soon to ask that question?

R
Nov 16, 2016
I realize that this is an old thread.

I beg to differ regarding the Shot not being electric start. It is indeed a means of starting the engine using electricity. It's just not using a conventional starter motor and a storage battery in lieu of using the stator and an ultra capacitor.
However, in simple terms, I do not have a problem when referring to Electric Start -vs- the Shot system. By now, we all know the difference!

By the way, Toyota did something very similar with certain models of their Prius.
No conventional starter motor in lieu of using a similar Stator arrangement, and yes, there is a battery on board.

As for the single Shot start, see post #18.
I have been able to use the Shot system, immediately shut down, and then restart using the Shot system.
That = two Shot starts per capacitor charge.

Now, BRP did have capacitor issues early on. Some of the capacitors were failing.
If your sled was out of warranty, this became an approximate $700+ expense.

I hope that by now that they have remedied this issue.

Last edited:
Premium Features