• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2008 Chevy Duramax-Good Used Truck?

T
Mar 30, 2010
is it stock? thats the real question! Dpf still in place and no downloader or efi live installed? then yes the trans will last some serious miles! take it on test drive and take the spin off filter on the trans and check the magnet for clutch material and if it drives and shifts smooth you know it hasn't been abused! when you decide to delete the all emissions garbage hit me up. I have some great options at awesome prices

Last edited:
K

kmo

Nov 27, 2007
Meridian, ID
Your signature says you have a 2009 GMC. You never had it to begin with. Different truck?

Honestly the DEF argument is overplayed. There are very few issues to be had with it. Fill it up at each oil change. If you're doing extended oil changes then add it once in between.

I agree, DEF is a non issue. -26 F and no freeze ups. No issues ever. That said, the 2008 does not have the next level of EPA emissions compliance that 2011 and newer have which includes the DEF. Some guys delete the CAT and the DPM trap but most don't and never have issues. My '05 was heavily modified, my '13 is stock and I love it. Both trucks have been solid and issue free.

Last edited:

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
DEF is programmed not to injection until the temp is at operating temps for a certain time frame. There Trucks run a coolant line through the def tank which will keep it thawed.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

gonehuntnpowder

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2008
Eastern Idaho
I expect this mess with VW will soon change the landscape for diesels. It will surprise me if it doesn't pave the way for a national emission test.
I talked to a guy who got stopped in Washington a few weeks ago and the patrolman got out a mirror to make sure he was still running the dpf and def systems.
Can't speak for dodge and ford, but GM will require snapshots of the programming on the ECM and TCM along with max torque applied stored in the TCM on every catastrophic failure. So it it needs a engine, tranny, tcase, or axle assembly that all has to be submitted to GM.
some of you are thinking I will just program it back to stock before I take it in. The module stores the last 10 programs. Even has the ability to store programming if the module has been replaced.

milehighassassin

Moderator: Premium Member
Staff member
Premium Member
Nov 16, 2005
FOCO/VAIL
I expect this mess with VW will soon change the landscape for diesels. It will surprise me if it doesn't pave the way for a national emission test.
I talked to a guy who got stopped in Washington a few weeks ago and the patrolman got out a mirror to make sure he was still running the dpf and def systems.
Can't speak for dodge and ford, but GM will require snapshots of the programming on the ECM and TCM along with max torque applied stored in the TCM on every catastrophic failure. So it it needs a engine, tranny, tcase, or axle assembly that all has to be submitted to GM.
some of you are thinking I will just program it back to stock before I take it in. The module stores the last 10 programs. Even has the ability to store programming if the module has been replaced.

Anyone that programs and ECU is aware what the ECU stores. There is a flash count as well. It's pretty easy and standard procedure to reset the flash count. Everything you just said is capable of being reset by the right person. This is what you pay for in programming. But in all honesty, you pay to play. If you are knowingly tuning your truck outside of the OEM parameters, you shouldn't expect any manufacture to pick up the tab if something fails.

Premium Features