• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

1999 polaris xcr 440 sp edge

L
Dec 15, 2022
arviat
why is it so hard to find anything about the 1999 xcr 440 sp edge race machine, how many were actually produced. all i know is some people are saying its nothing important, that they were mass produced, but i believe that the race model was made only for racers and therefore only a handful were produced. searching online trying to get more info. about the machine, nothing much said, either nobody knows them, or too few owners and nobody is saying anything about them. any help would be appreciated.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Hmmm, I'm not familiar with that particular sled, but I thought either 2000 or 01 model year was the first time the EDGE chassis was mass-produced (I know it didn't come to the mountain segment until 02). I could be wrong; if you put it in a parts lookup and your model is there (make sure it's not a Gen II chassis that shows up), then it's a production sled. It wouldn't surprise me if it's a pre-production race sled though.

whoisthatguy

Lifetime Membership
Dec 27, 2007
why is it so hard to find anything about the 1999 xcr 440 sp edge race machine, how many were actually produced. all i know is some people are saying its nothing important, that they were mass produced, but i believe that the race model was made only for racers and therefore only a handful were produced. searching online trying to get more info. about the machine, nothing much said, either nobody knows them, or too few owners and nobody is saying anything about them. any help would be appreciated.
This is what the old threads say about that particular model.
"Polaris produced 2 xcr 440s in 99. the 99 XCR 440 was the gen II chassis and the 99 XCR 440 SP was the Edge chassis. The only way you could have bought the SP model was to be a polaris sponsered rider for the 99-00 season. Polaris produced them this way thinking the edge chassis would give them the new advantage they needed for on the track. But it was a flop."

I owned a 97 440 XCR in the Gen II model and it's frame had no torsional stiffness. I got it up to 70 mph, which is as fast as it could go in that year. It is not an experience that I care to repeat.

BeartoothBaron

Lifetime Membership
Nov 2, 2017
Roberts, MT
Interesting. I'm surprised a trail/race oriented sled could be so bad at speed. I know I've had my EDGE over 70, and I think my Pro as well; it wasn't spooky at all. The EDGE felt like it could cruise at 70 on a smooth enough surface.

Premium Features