• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

07 M8 clutch questions

M
Nov 12, 2012
Hey
So bought this sled a couple years ago, riding with minimal issues. Decided to do a little clutch checking maintainance. I bought the shift assist, so i took apart my secondary, and i have a couple questions. First, when i lifted off the helix there are to washer/spacers where the orange spring sits in top of helix. I cant seem to find where thEy show them in any parts breakdown? Is that normal? Did someone add them to change spring rate maybe? And what should i do, sled seems to shift fine. Can i check spec on orange spring, measure it, could spring be shot and thats why they did that?
Second question, the rollers, i assume mine are stock ones, white, how do i check them if they are still ok to use? They spin fine, no cracks or deep scars. What do i look for to know if they need to be changed?

Thank you

J

jim

Nov 26, 2007
Boise
The black washers are slip/slide washers so that the spring does eat into the helix/cap...and it will if you have nothing there. 2 is standard, but you can reduce to 1 if you want. I haven't seen the orange springs really go...they seem very durable, but never hurts to check. The white rollers are the stock type...not sure if original. They wear out easily. I always bought rock rollers and replaced them while apart. Yes, the rock rollers are $50, but I've also seen where one white roller flattened and fell apart and wrecked the secondary clutch or bushings. So, is a good durability investment IMO. Also improves shifting response/backshifting and helps cool the belt. So, I can't give you a detailed study...but the $50 investment pays back from what I've seen.

Premium Features