• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 900 Injection Oil Leak??

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Just bought a 06 900 got it to my buds cabin and noticed an oil leak. Didn't spend much time investigating but it's definately injection oil. Has anybody had to deal with anything like this? I did notice that the oiling cable nut has loosened up at the throttle bodies. Any ideas that might be good news?

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
The 900s had an issue with the connector cable between the throttle body and oiler fraying and breaking. Yours probably did that, and is stuck in the open position.

I believe this is what you need:

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
The nut you're talking about is the one on the short extender cable closest to the clutch?

That short cable is what fails... either the crimp fails (happened on mine) or the cable in the middle frays and breaks, making the oiler stick open. There's marks on the oiler for where it should line up at idle, if that isn't aligned right the sled won't get the right amount of oil (Usually gets too much).

Bonus to the FBF cable is that you can take the TB off much easier since you don't have to screw around with getting that tinyass cable off...

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
The nut you're talking about is the one on the short extender cable closest to the clutch?

Yes! The nut backed of but the cable is still being held in the t-body bracket from tension. The oil leak is what has me concerned.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Check the case seam, right above the oil pump.

there is a holding pocket inside the case, one of the oil pump bolts screws into this pocket also.

so it can leak VIA the case seam or thru the threads of one of the bolts.

Dan

Thank you, Dan
Being that the oil pump bolt is below the case seam is it difficult to tell which one it is?

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
also check the oil feed line from the tank to the pump. it runs between the clutch and engine and my brothers wore a hole in his rubbing on the block and fame piece.

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
Oil pump o'ring allowing leak??

Well I found a couple of interesting things. First, the pto side throttle body and boost box is full of clean injection oil. Second, the t-body boots are hacked and not allowing the reeds (V-Force) to seal and third, the oil pump housing o'ring that seals off the drive gear/case is shredded bigtime. When I pulled off the oil pump to case bolts, massive oil started pouring out. The oiler cable was frozen to the maximum position also making the oil leak worse.

Oil level from the frozen oiler cable was all the way up to the bottom of the reed flange. Does my diag sound like it's logical???

W
Feb 27, 2008
i have the exact same problem w/my 06 700...does anyone know if this was a recall issue that local polaris shop would fix?????

W
Feb 27, 2008
yeah have not checked cable yet...but there is definetly an injection oil leak.
i first noticed it at the end of last season and thought it might have been fogging oil leaking out the bottom of the plenum,but when i changed out the front suspension this fall i had it jacked up and when i let it down i found a half dollar size puddle of clean oil on the jack.i did start it up and run up the rpms just to make sure every thing was ready to go so i couldent tell if the leak only came under power or not.ANY and all suggestions would be a great help.

M
Dec 5, 2007
Chehalis, WA
I had a darn leak all winter after resealing the pump 3 times, turned out to be the parting line on the case halves was ceeping through. I ended up cleaning the case and spread yamabond over the seam. got me through the season. this years rebuild will fix that!

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
I had a darn leak all winter after resealing the pump 3 times, turned out to be the parting line on the case halves was ceeping through. I ended up cleaning the case and spread yamabond over the seam. got me through the season. this years rebuild will fix that!

Are you referring to the silicon that seals the two lower case halves together leaking?

Premium Features