• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Fire N Ice airbox or SLP

C
Nov 28, 2007
I want to get a new airbox and am torn between the Fire N Ice Aibox or the SLP. The FNI is easy to install, but only 2 hp,where the SLP gives 4-5 hp and drops 10+lbs but have to take radiator out. What would you guys do?

I have an 06 700 RMK 151 with SLP pipe and can.

Thanks for your opinions.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Those are "claims" from SLP...

I've had almost all of the Intakes for that chassis... TCP, SLP, FNI, Fabcraft and Timbersled the only one I did not try was the Vanamburg...

The FNI is the best for so many more reasons than I care to type here..

http://firenice.us/catalog/

The weight loss is identical between the two... The hp gains are exaggerated for sales purposes, IMO...

The SLP requires that you amputate the stock airbox and graft it onto their setup, It draws air from under the snowpack, or (which is most of the time because the front grille is mostly plugged off with snow) from under the hood..

It (SLP or other front mounts) also puts a lot of stress on the throttle body boots
Also, the SLP will not allow you to change your mind to a bumper in the future...

Also, if you take a tree or rock shot to the front of your sled with the SLP... you will be sucking in all kinds of crap on the ride back to the trailer

The FNI draws cool, clean air from up high above the snow... same place as the new Dragons...

You absolutely should take out the radiator from your sled and do it the correct way...

You sould get the combo and windshield intake screens as well from FNI... Good product!!

900console.jpg

This pic is of a trail sled from polaris factory brocure... look how the grille packs with snow... ON THE TRAIL!!
Much worse in the powder

2007Polaris.jpg

DSC01478.jpg

900isos.jpg

FI1.jpg

FI2.jpg

Fireniceairbox.jpg

FI3.jpg

intakesandvents.jpg

Pic of the SLP airbox, with the amputated stock boost box with it.
SLPairboxkit1.jpg

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Proper way to delete the radiator on a 2005 900 or 2006 900/700 RMK/switchback

NOTE: The union shown in my drawing is FULL FLOW with no restriction...

Some of the later SLP kits were supplied with a restrictor-union that partially blocked flow.

DO NOT RUN THE RESTRICTOR! If your sled has the restrictor type union, go to a plumbing supply house and purchase a brass

Thanks JdRacer for the heads up.

Lowes and Home Depot should also have these in thier brass fittings section.

Aka barbed hose coupler.

Looks exactly like this... not to be confused with a garden hose coupler.
91355kp1l.gif

900rmkcoolingsysassy-1.jpg

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Our 900 has the mods Mountainhorse discussed.

Bought the 900 sled from a Polaris engineer. He did exactly what Mountainhorse says.

LPIdaho

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
IF,ID
As Mtnhorse and I have found over the past few years, that what ever Fire 'n Ice makes is the best product on the market, so it's really hard to go wrong with the best

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Sawyer,

I'm sure your SLP never plugged and choked the engine off....when the nose plugs on the grille with an SLP... it sucks air from the next least restrictive points... the engine compartment... hot air... rich and giving up on power.

Just my 2 cents..

One of the big ones for me, function when all is well aside....

is the crash factor and stress on the throttle body boots... if you crash the front end and put a hole in the slp or the mesh of the slp... you are sucking snow/ice and debris as a straight shot right into the motor... also the slp flexes the throttle body boots with the front end of the sled as it goes thru the snow...

Lastly... you cant upgrade to a bumper without having to purchase another polaris boost box that you amputated to install the SLP...

Sawyer... didnt you go with a TCP bumper on your dragon...was that a good move IYO?

C-man

Lifetime Membership
Nov 28, 2007
Edmonton, AB
my slp on my 900 sucked. i was always knocking snow out of the front grill, it was always bogging esp on warm powder days.....go with fire n ice please

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Pizz poor clutching/gearing from the factory was the reason for most of the heat in the clutches of these sleds.

I DO however recommend that the clutch area be well vented on ALL of the 900's and 755's, regardless of which airbox kit you are using.

FNI draws air from the factory location, High in the console, where the factory designed it to be drawn from just like on the 2009 RMK's

I have a lot of hands on experience with this chassis and motor and can assure you that my statements above are founded in experience.

I give props to Paul Hurley because I buy, own and use his products on my own sleds. He is a quality builder of parts and has excellent customer service. I am not affilliated with his operation nor do I offer his products for sale.

FNI airbox installed
FNIairbox.jpg

Last edited:
H
Nov 26, 2007
gillette, WY
another reason i would buy fire n ice is because of there customer service. i called Paul when i was installing my air box on my 05 900 and he was eating dinner, it was getting late but he called me back like 10 minutes later when he was done eating and talked to me on the phone for 45 minutes till i got everything figured out! he really knows his stuff and is a super stand up guy who stands behind his product, even if his stuff was more expensive id still buy from him!

W

wildchild

Jul 4, 2001
lumby
Another problem with the SLP box is the amount of belt dust it pulls in from the clutches.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Davis,

If you run the bumper, there is just not enough room in the nose of the sled to fit a front mount box in there..

Three options if you want to use a bumper... FNI, Stock, T-sled (IMO in that order of preference)

Last edited:
B
Nov 26, 2007
UT
So I have a question, I have a SLP air box and vents on my 06 900 now.
Can I dump just the SLP air box and go to a FNI air box or do I need to buy
Everything belt guard vents and so on…
Can you buy just the air box if so (anyone selling one?)
Sorry but I’m new to the upgrade thing it has always been stock, because I’m chicken to try new things..(See I went with SLP air box bad choice...)

diamonddave

Chilly’s Mentor
Lifetime Membership
Apr 5, 2006
Wokeville, WA.
So I have a question, I have a SLP air box and vents on my 06 900 now.
Can I dump just the SLP air box and go to a FNI air box or do I need to buy
Everything belt guard vents and so on…
Can you buy just the air box if so (anyone selling one?)
Sorry but I’m new to the upgrade thing it has always been stock, because I’m chicken to try new things..(See I went with SLP air box bad choice...)

I'm a new poo noob but the firenice box comes with a new belt guard. It'd be cool if you could get it without it for a discount, but maybe you have to have their guard for the air box to work. (support???)

Also need a new intake plenum as the original is modified to work with the SLP box. Not sure how much that costs.

Premium Features