• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Trailer Ducting Install This Weekend

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
Here is what I did this weekend...spent some quality time out in the trailer:)

Foldable shelves were inserted...
MyTrailer031.jpg

MyTrailer026.jpg

MyTrailer029.jpg

And furnace ducting was also installed...
MyTrailer027.jpg

MyTrailer028.jpg

MyTrailer032.jpg

Now, just waiting for the furnace to arrive:):)

Last edited:
T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
Trailer is a 7X29 made by American Hauler.

Furnace ordered is an Atwood 8531-IV 30,000 BTU forced air unit off of ebay with thermostat for $250:) Thought that was an alright deal...:confused:

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
Like stated...30,000 BTU Atwoods and Suburbans can be had for around the $250-$300 mark on ebay all day long...

One good thing about the Suburban SF-35F model is that it can be vented out just a little brass plate in the side of the trailer:) Wish I would have gone with that setup:(

Track~

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
Tanks

I am planning on mounting my tanks (dual 20 pound grill tanks) on the V of my trailer opposite the front ramp door (on my trailer this is the passenger side of trailer).

My idea is to house the 2 tanks in this box...
http://www.harborfreight.com/cpi/ctaf/displayitem.taf?Itemnumber=97012

The box will HOPEFULLY be held up by a thick piece of steel that is bolted in several places to the frame of my trailer and then I will build brackets coming off this piece of steel in a triangle shape(basically making a shelf bracket but with support on the bottom side of the shelf bracket going back towards the frame of the trailer due to the weight of the box and tanks). I think this setup should hold...

I have measured and don't think that a jack-knifed truck will hit the box...I still need to hook the truck up and get as close to jack-knifed position as I can to make absolutely sure though:) Man I sure hope my idea works because it is going to look bad a$$ if it does:D

Also, more pictures will come this weekend as I slowly work on both the interior and exterior of the trailer...I have ALOT of ideas floating around in this head of mine while at work:):)

Track~

A

Adrenaline Revolution

Nov 17, 2002
In the foothills of the Cascades
T2W,
I still have not taken any pictures of my tank set-up yet, Sorry. I used a base plate from an RV store that normally sits on top of the tongue and mounted with angle brackets and some box aluminum to the skin, through the vertical beams and the structure of the horizontal beam of the floor.
I attached one piece of steel from up about 2 feet from the base plate down to the outside edge of the base plate for a little aditional support.
I can jump up and down on this thing and I weigh over 200#

The base plate has all the correct holes in it for the threaded rod that holds the twin tanks in place and for padlocks to lock the tanks away from a would be thief.
Then I covered the whole set-up with a twin tank plastic cover that you can also get from the RV store like this one...
http://www.campingworld.com/shopping/product/heavy-duty-propane-tank-covers/3953

A square box on the front of your trailer might be pushing your luck when it comes to jacknifing but this cover fits pretty tight to the bottles and my bumper/tailgate doesn't even come close.

You don't really need to hook up your trailer to your truck at a bad angle to find out how close it will come. Just use a 2X4 that is the same length as is the distance from your hitch to the side of the truck, then place the end of the board on the front of the trailer coupler and swing it around towars the area you want to mount the tanks. Nail another board to it at a 90* angle if your hitch is sticking a ways out from the truck and then put the shorter board on the coupler.

I hope this helps

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
GREAT idea adrenaline...I will try using the 2x4 trick this weekend...my truck didn't want to come out of the garage until it snowed anyway:)

I must have quite the V on my trailer because I think I have more than enough room to mount the box on the V part and not jack-knife...I guess we will see.

Here is the V part of trailer...
mikeemail049.jpg

From the looks of this...you can't tell me that my truck, in a jack-knife position, will hit the trailer behind where my equalizer attached to the frame...can you??? My box will cover approx. 3/4 of the diamond plating on the picture above.

Track~

Premium Features