• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Polaris 800 900 PTO ENDS AND CRANKSHAFTS

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Subject: Polaris 800 & 900 crankshafts & pto - ends
ladies & gentalmen
there are rumors being spread around by a few crankshaft rebuilders accross the country.
When being questioned about their cranks and crank work and their warranty most of them offer 30 days.
whencustomers question them about my torque master bottom - ends with a 3 year warranty they have been saying that i get my pto ends from crank worx and that they have been having problems with their products.
let me make things perfectly clear, right now!!!!
I do not know who crank worx even is or where their from.
And there has never been a warranty claim Filed to date by a paying customer for torque master bottom end .
period!!!
you know your really getting to them when they have to start making sh!t up about you.

the only 3 year warranty in the sport today that accually is what it says it is.
3 full years.
dan / indydan
at indy specialty

have a great trouble free winter!!!!
Thanks everyone.

D

dmj1

Jul 31, 2007
torque master

Well put Dan
I like striaght up guys with NO bs!!:beer;You have my crank there now
for a torque master II

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Dan went to a bunch of expense, in both time and money, to have ends built. They are his creation, built by a couple of sub contractors doing the actual metal and hardening work.

I looked in to having some made and if Dan figured out how to have it done, at a reasonable price, and doesn't want to share that info I can understand. Polaris created a need, Dan stepped up, and he's making the money because of it.

I've got one of his bottomend on my 910... 1/2 season on it. If he's willing to give me the warranty I was willing to give him my money. :)

sled_guy

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Ok i have to ask because i have been wondering for a long time. What does the warranty cover? Is it just the pto end ? or is it the complete bottom end? if bearings go out on the mag end is it covered? or a rod bearing? I have some asking about it and not sure what to tell them. i have found out you can not trust the local builder.I have been told by some that it cover the complete bottom end no matter the cause, but i was thinking it was just the pto end/

Last edited:

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
Ok got it i have not been there before, thanks for the link.After reading the warranty statement i see it only covers the pto end it self for the 3-5 year period the rest is only covered for 1 year..

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Hardass...

You bring up great points regarding warranties... In the world we live in, warranties and their wording, with all the fine print, have become a tangled mess that often leaves the customer hanging.

People need to be cautious and ask questions or they only have themselves to blame.

People like you are an asset to this forum (sincerely) and help keep vendors/sellers on thier toes.

I just got off the phone with Dan [Indy Specialties] to ask him about this.

The warranty extends to the complete bottom end with the exception of the bearings and rods themselves. The entire crank, including the crank pins ARE covered by the 5 year warranty.

If a crank falure takes out the case... that is covered as well.

He puts this in writing and will re-word his ad on ebay to clarify that.

Dan is aware of problematic pin fit on worn out / used Polaris cranks which is caused, in his view, by design problems...

IndySpecialties:The reason for relocating the Lock ring bearing on the Polaris High torque 800 Motor ........ At Clutch engagment the moveable Sheave is hitting the belt and causing a slide hammer effect on the PTO - End, If the case fit (to the bearing) is not perfect the clutch is actually jerking on the PTO Rod pin -------- With the Lock ring bearing moved to the PTO - End of the case where it belongs there is NO more damage done to the PTO - End or Rod Pin.

According to him, unless you have a moisture problem.. you will not have a problem with the rods and thier related bearings... If the crank/cases are taken care of .

IndySpecialties: We cannot control how people summerize or store the motors, So therefore, Rods and Main bearings are only as good as there owners.

If you store your sled outdoors for extended peroids of time.. you might get condensation in your motor and this is where using good oil that does not carry moisture plays a big role.

Some of the synthetic oils are worse than others when it comes to storage and Dan recommends using the less expensive mineral based oils in his motors... Here are Dan's views on 2 stroke oils.
http://www.snowest.com/forum/showthread.php?t=92802

That is where Fogging an engine comes into play to keep them in top notch condition and protect your investment and riding experience!!

Dan also has a great track record of helping out people for free and also taking care of problems even when his stuff does not cause the problem.

Dan/Indy Specialties, IMO, is a rare business/person in todays world of ripoffs and I'd like to see more people like him out there!

Good luck in what ever you choose and ride em this season.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I've had Dan Take care of a few of my friends on their 800 Big Block engines as well as my own 900 RMK. I have no problem recommending his work to anyone.

Most of the time...when a crank shaft goes.. the cases are taken out of spec or, in some cases, ruined.. and this accellerates the falure of the second crank installed. Most people dont take the time to carefully inspect the cases for straigt, round and proper fitting bearings into the case and just bolt them back together.

Also the factory cranks can benefit from improvements in the oiling, case fit and bearing location... beyond just the big bearing option out there.

Indy Specialties bottom ends are the best option IMO... his warranty is a true FIVE YEAR warranty on the crank and he backs his stuff up as well.

Dan's setup is not just for the crank but for the complete bottom end, fully assembled with new bearings, seals and Re machined/Blueprinted cases. Definately a Plus IMO. You get back an assembled fully checked-out bottom end ready for your cylinders and is packaged in a foam injected shipping box (best I've ever seen) with shipping included.

IndySpecialties also offers a 800 "crate engine" with re-plated/honed cylinders, new factory polaris pistons and a BRAND NEW PRIMARY CLUTCH... fully assembled with the 5 year warranty on the bottom end for $2495 shipping included.

His warranty is transferrable if you sell the sled... the buyer would get peace of mind in knowing his motor is going to hold together.

Indys cranks are fully rebuildable... not welded together cranks.

www.indyspecialty.net

You will find one or two people on this forum "gunning" for IndySpecialties... but I dont believe that they were even customers of Dans.... nor do they actually have his stuff in their own sled and are speaking second or third hand rumors.

Dans 800 Big Block Torquemaster bottom ends include
5 Yr Warranty
Upgraded 33mm billet PTO end. (the stock size is 30 mm)
Fully ballanced Arctic Cat primary clutch (uses polaris springs and weights)
Full machining of the cases which most of the time are way out of spec or even bad
Ugraded bearings with lockgroove machined into the PTO side of case.
Cases are cross drilled for improved oiling (one of the reasons the cranks fail in the first place)

Using the cat clutch allows for a much smaller bolt to be used in retaining the primary which means that the crank has a smaller hole in it compared to the Polaris and is MUCH stronger for the crank. These clutches are pre shimmed and setup for your choice of belt.

Here is a pic of Indy's PTO end compared to a stock one. Stock on left Indy Specialties on the right.
fda8_12.JPG

Have a look at his info on the crank in his Ebay store.
http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/Polaris-800-Crank-crankshaft_W0QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp4634Q2ec0Q2em14Q2el1262QQhashZitem4a99833578QQitemZ320403092856QQptZSnowmobileQ5fPartsQ5fAccessories

Last edited:

Hardass

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Troy Montana
I have since been told that the warranty does cover the rod pins for the 3-5 year period as well. It is the best deal out there for sure. Thanks MH

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Warranty

Hardass, To Clarify the Warranty.........

The warranty is writen by me and not by a lawyer to trick anyone.

Its basic........5 years on any PTO breakage of any kind, And lower connecting rod pin breakage of any kind.

Main bearings, Rod bearings and rods are covered for 1 year.

The reason this is one year is because its impossible to cover them for 5 years.........If I did that some people would never summerize their sled again.............. ( Heck I got warranty for 5 years ) I'm not summerizing.

Bottom line is this..........If something happens to a motor that is just plain
unexplainable and there is no sign of lack of oil or poor care during storage
its getting covered.

I hope that covers the warranty.

Thanks, Dan

Premium Features