• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Anyone put anti ratchets on a new IQ without a set back?

D

dub

Mar 15, 2004
Moxee WA
Thinking of cutting the tips as far as possible and running an anti stab kit??

Thoughts?

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
How about ice age rails already cut for this purpose ! I here great things about them and the prices are crazy cheap ! thinking of this myself but my budget is crap this year.

D

dub

Mar 15, 2004
Moxee WA
Runnin' what ya brung sounds cheaper to me.. I would have to guess that somebody has modded the stock rails, looks tight though!

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
I have done many anti ratchets but have always moved the skid back. With that being said you will have to trim the rails as well as moving the skid.

SpeedWobble

Premium Member
Jul 11, 2001
North Central Washington
Hey dub,
A buddy of mine put Avid Extros on his '07 700. Trimmed the rail tips as far as possible and added the Wahl anti-stab kit. He did not re-locate the rear skid. It is really tight, but he made it through a season and nothing seemed to rub. While cycling the rear suspension he was down to less than 1/4" between the drivers and the rails, but it didn't hit.
You should be fine. Just check for clearance before you put it on the snow

SpeedWobble

N

Nelson

Nov 30, 2007
Libby, Montana/Elko, Nevada
I have put avid extro-vert drivers on my 06 900 Dragon, i trimmed the rails back and added the anti-stab wheel kit i never had to relocate the skid nor did i have to. i was able to get the proper clearance by just trimming the rails back to where the limiter strap is.

D

dub

Mar 15, 2004
Moxee WA
That is exactly what I had in mind! 1/4" should be sufficiant given that the skid does not travel forward.

Thanks!

D

dub

Mar 15, 2004
Moxee WA
Okay so on to the next question... Going to a 3.0P on an 09 D8, which 3.0 tooth driver to go to? Want to maintain as close to stock gearing as possible..

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Thinking of cutting the tips as far as possible and running an anti stab kit??

Thoughts?

My thoughts....save your money for something else. And have someone provide benchmark tests showing that running your track loose is better or that Avid extros provide a performance gain. Not.
IMO Avids are overhyped, yes I know Poo engineers, Carl's Cycle & SLP are all dumbasses & still don't get it. Forgot to include Ron...just another dumb ***.

S

srosscojw

Nov 26, 2007
Kelowna BC
www.signcraft.ca
Hey Ron, 3" pitch avids are smaller in diameter than stock drivers so your gain is 2 fold, gear reduction + the ability to run a good track and throw that pos poo track in the garbage. These 2 things probly increased my sleds performance 20%. no more trenching better floatation and increased track speed.I never had ratchet problems before and I know for sure that I wont now.

D

dub

Mar 15, 2004
Moxee WA
Ron, my reason for switching is that I am running a Cat 3.0 Power claw 162" track and am going to run a PG turbo. I really don't see that I have a choice in the matter..

GW

R

Ron

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 4, 2006
Boise
Ron, my reason for switching is that I am running a Cat 3.0 Power claw 162" track and am going to run a PG turbo. I really don't see that I have a choice in the matter..

GW

Hey Ron, 3" pitch avids are smaller in diameter than stock drivers so your gain is 2 fold, gear reduction + the ability to run a good track and throw that pos poo track in the garbage. These 2 things probly increased my sleds performance 20%. no more trenching better floatation and increased track speed.I never had ratchet problems before and I know for sure that I wont now.

Two good reasons to change. Guess I was off base, but there are a lot of guys changing for the wrong reasons.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Here is my opinion with great respect to others with different opinions.

Some stuff I've learned from the diff engineers in the sled world.

Extro drivers do not equal a need to run the track looser.

A few years back, extros were run on the M-series Cats... Those sleds HAD to be run loose because the skid would not fuction to full travel without being run loose. When run with standard, involute, drives the sleds would ratched badly.....

I completely agree....A loose track will NOT put the power to the snow in most situations as well as a PROPERLY tensioned track.

AND, a loose track is much more prone to stabbing.

NOTE: "COMBO" driver is another word for Extro driver... two different mfgs.

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Looser tracks allow the paddles to fold over easier... a part of the equation that most dont think of and is the MAIN reason why Jack Struthers says that a tight track works better than a loose one...it hooks up better, expecially in more setup conditions like on a track or hill-drags, or spring time climbing (or our average sierra cement)

The people with Extrovert drivers seem to want to run the track real loose which allows for distortion of the track as it leaves the driver and makes the track more suceptable to "stabbing"...

This loose track wants to get "sucked up" into the space between the driver and the rail tip which leave a track window (especially a 3" track window) prone to putting a rail tip through it.

With the extros, I dont look at them as a way to make the track looser... I look at it as a prevention of ratcheting in the high-demand situations

Last edited:

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I think the "combo" drivers are the best option, but run almost as tight as the stock drivers AND run the more slippery hyperfax as well as popping back on some idlers for spring conditions as well.

Extros, IMO, are mandatory on high hp sleds... BUT they should be run at the correct, not loose, tension... similar to normal tracks/stock-drivers.

When they are running normally, not ratcheting, the teeth of the extro are not even contacting the track or the clips and only drive from the involute portion on the inside of the track.

Last edited:
Premium Features