• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Reichert Wants Alpine Lakes WA Wilderness

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
I have written Congressman Dave Reichert many times to get him aware of snowmobiling and he at least acknowledges we exist now!
Below is the text of his latest reply:

Thank you for sharing your thoughts regarding Wilderness areas. I appreciate the opportunity to respond.

Congress enacted the Wilderness Act in 1964. This Act created the National Wilderness Preservation System, which gave Congress the authority to designate wilderness areas. Today there are 708 wilderness areas, totaling more than 107 million acres, in 44 states. Numerous bills to designate additional areas and to expand existing ones are introduced and considered in every Congress.

The Wilderness Act defined wilderness as an area of generally undisturbed federal land, but did not establish criteria or standards to determine whether an area should be designated. In general, wilderness areas are undeveloped, and commercial activities, motorized access, and roads, structures, and facilities are generally prohibited in wilderness areas. However, in response to conflicting demands, Congress has granted both general exemptions and specific exceptions to the general standards and prohibitions.

I believe we must strive to strike an appropriate balance between conservation and recreation. To that end, in some unique areas we must think forward to generations beyond our own. We must recognize that some areas need the greatest possible usage restrictions to preserve their natural heritage for our children and grandchildren. I believe the proposed Alpine Lakes Wilderness Area is one of these unique places. In addition, to address your concerns, the proposed new addition is in low elevation and should not impact snowmobile use within the boundaries of the proposed area. Rest assured, I will continue to work to find the appropriate balance whenever Congress considers our public lands.

Once again, thank you for taking the time to get in touch with me. Your interest and input are valued and I hope to hear from you in the future regarding other matters of importance. I encourage you to visit my website and sign up for my monthly e-newsletter at http://reichert.house.gov to learn more about other issues impacting the 8th Congressional District and our nation.

Sincerely,

David G. Reichert
Member of Congress

Although I do not support any new wilderness areas anywhere, I have reviewed the maps and did not see any snowmobile use areas within his Pratt River Addition to the Alpine Lakes Wilderness.

I have also sent out several emails to our WA SAWS members, and to this date no one has indicated that a snowmobile riding area they use will be impacted by this proposed wilderness, so therefore SAWS is not spending the time to fight this particular bill, but SAWS does not support it.

S
Jul 7, 2001
Kent WA
As usual, Dave is on top of this. The map does not include any area that would limit snowmobiling that I can see. It is frustrating that our votes to get Demo's out of congress still put liberal republicans in office. It could be worse I guess, but I have written him and asked to be removed from his mailing list and have specifically complained about Wilderness, drilling and gun issues that Reichert is too liberal leaning.

I doubt a new republican could replace him, then win this fall.:mad:

eddy

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Jul 8, 2001
Sammamish WA
Keep the Pressure On!

Keep writing to this guy so he knows we are here! When the next issue comes up they will know we are active and will fight. The reason I posted this was until now every reply was a form letter with no reference to what the snowmobile subject matter was.

Premium Features