• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Do you have to pull the motor to get the jugs off a 900?

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
I want to look at my cylinders and maybe haved them honed and verify that I have the '06 pistons. Do I have to pull the engine or not? Thanks!

Aaron

L
Feb 12, 2008
Bozeman, MT
I've done it without pulling the motor out of the chassis, but I have to take the motor mounts (and throttle bodies, etc...) out so I can tip the motor forward. My fingers and coordination prevent me from getting to the injectors any other way.

R
Dec 17, 2006
No ,you do not have to pull motor .just make sure pistons are on the full down stroke when you pull the jugs, you can look inside after you take the Y-pipe off and see cyl's and pistons.

Super Dave3

Lifetime Membership
Feb 15, 2003
Klamath Falls OR
900 Cylinders

On an 05 you can remove the cylinders without pulling the engine because it has the two injectors in the case. However on an 06 it has four injectors, two in the case and two in the cylinders.

In my opinion it would be easier to pull the engine if it is a 06.

Hope this helps.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Why do you want to get the cyls honed if you are NOT replacing the pistons/rings..???

I also think it is best to pull the motor if you want to remove the cylinders... it is not very hard to get it out

Plus you will be able to check the motor mounts well, clean out the filth under the motor, replace all of the motor mount bolts with grade 8 fastners, clean the oil pump well etc etc.... easier to work on on the bench....

Also, when you pull the motor, remove and leave out the lower-most bolt in the recoil housing... this is impossible to remove unless the motor is out and does not compromise strength. Very handy when you break a pull start rope.

enginediagram2005.jpg

900 Liberty engine removal (2005)
1. Remove the hood.
2. Depressurize the fuel rail.
3. Drain the oil and fuel.
4. Unplug the air intake sensor from the air intake, located on the airbox.
5. Remove the air intake (plenum)
6. Remove the exhaust springs and remove the exhaust pipe and muffler.
7. Remove the air box.
8. Remove the pressure lines from the exhaust valves. This supply line goes to the EV solinoid.
9. Remove the drive belt.
10. Remove the drive clutch.
11. Remove the driven clutch.
12. Tie a knot in the recoil rope, remove the recoil handle and carefully route the rope through the chassis.
13. Remove the console
14. Drain the coolant.
15. Remove the coolant line from the throttle body (leave line hooked up to the coolant bottle and secure line away from engine).
16. Remove the oil supply line form the oil bottle.
17. Remove the seat and fuel tank.
18. Disconnect the throttle cable.
19. Disconnect the sensors that are connected to the engine. (Injectors, Water temp sensor, Stator connections)
20. Remove the right (A) and left (B) bulk head side plates.
21. Remove the rear motor mount bolts (C) and front motor mount bolts.
22. With a helper or lift remove the straight out from the bulkhead.
23. The front motor mount (D) will come out with the engine.

Also, you can tell if you have the 2006 pistons thru the exhaust port, without pulling the motor.......I recommend that you remove the Y-pipe.

Pistons.jpg

Last edited:

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Why do you want to get the cyls honed if you are NOT replacing the pistons/rings..???

I also think it is best to pull the motor if you want to remove the cylinders... it is not very hard to get it out

Plus you will be able to check the motor mounts well, clean out the filth under the motor, replace all of the motor mount bolts with grade 8 fastners, clean the oil pump well etc etc.... easier to work on on the bench....

Also, when you pull the motor, remove and leave out the lower-most bolt in the recoil housing... this is impossible to remove unless the motor is out and does not compromise strength. Very handy when you break a pull start rope.

enginediagram2005.jpg

Also, you can tell if you have the 2006 pistons thru the exhaust port, without pulling the motor.......I recommend that you remove the Y-pipe.

Pistons.jpg

ttt

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
Thanks Eric for that post. I didn't know their was any more action on this thread. I did pull the pipe and Y pipe the other day to look in there to see if I could tell. My problem is w/o having one year piston or the other in my hand, I can't tell if the ring-land is narrow or wide. Nothing to reference them too. They looked like the '06's to me, but could be the '05's still. I am going to pull the motor anyways for a summer project. I have this stupid coolant leak from behind it somewhere I can't find anyways! Thanks again.

Aaron

PS I was only going to have the cylinders honed if it needed the new pistons in it.

F

FatBoyzfrenchy

Nov 26, 2007
I believe you should not hone nikasil coated cylinders, they don't need any work unless they are out-of-round. Honing them will damage the coating. If your compression is down, you may want to have a look at the rings but that should be it.
My .02.
FBF

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Does anyone know the piston brand SPX.

Know the general discussion here says to use 2006 pistons.

Always looking for a better mousetrap !!! :D

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
Does anyone know the piston brand SPX.

Know the general discussion here says to use 2006 pistons.

Always looking for a better mousetrap !!! :D

don, indydan said those pistons were based off of the 05 piston and the only piston he would use would be the oem polaris piston.

Premium Features