• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

HOW TO PRIME THE FUEL PUMP ON POLARIS CFi

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Posted this elswhere but I've been getting a fair amount of PM's on this.

Sometimes when the fuel lines are removed, the engine is pulled, fuel fiter is replaced or the tank is drained or run out of fuel, it may be necessary to prime the fuel pump on your 2005 -2009 CFi Polaris.

There is a fuel prime plug in the harness... to prime the system takes less than a minute on digital wrench by your dealer... OR you can do it yourself with any 12volt battery Run +12v to the red wire in the fuel-prime plug, (-) 12v to the brown wire in the same plug, listen for the pump to run for a bit.

fuelprime.jpg

fuelprime2.jpg

Also handy when replacing the fuel filter or anytime you bleed the lines.. or that after summer first fire up and the system has lost pressure. Also handy for when you need to put fuel stabilizer in the system.... this will circulate the stabilizer thru the fuel injector rails and back to the tank.

Add 12 volts to the fuel prime and viola.... starts right up. Sometimes the check valves in the fuel pumps aren't the best and the residual pressure in the injector hoses bleeds back... a bit of residual pressure is what makes the CFI sled easy to start as all that needs to happen is to have the injectors "fire" and then it starts up energising the stator fully, and spinning the fuel pump up to pressure. If you find this to be the case, where the sled is difficult to start and your sled is still under warranty, have them fix this problem... They will probably need to replace the whole tank/pump assembly as they are not sold seperately (at least in 2007... The 2008 pump assy is available seperately!)

If you ride with a bunch of other CFI Polaris'... keep a "fuel prime" battery in your trailer/toolbag... A 12volt R/C car ni-cad pack works great for this... Though any 12volt battery will do.

You could also use this to power up the MFD. (unplug the headlights)

$20 at Tower Hobbies.

http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=GPMP0253&P=7

Get a couple of the charging plugs too.. One to splice into your sled... the other to charge the pack with a 1 amp or less trickle charger..
http://www3.towerhobbies.com/cgi-bin/wti0001p?&I=LXWW68&P=M

If you run your sled out of fuel, you could be pulliing for a bit to get it started and primed.

If you run the sled out of gas and are priming the system... let the pump run for 20-30 seconds on the prime battery... this will circulate the fuel thru the system, into the injector-rails and back to the tank.. self bleeding system... Like on a modern car or truck (gas engine)... the car/truck has a battery however and you can hear the pump running.

On a batteryless system, the CFI/EFI depends on the residual pressure in the lines to supply just enough fuel to start the motor... then the stator takes over and supplies electricity to the fuel pump to run the sled.

Some CFi sleds can get difficult to start if the check valve in the pump that maintains the residual pressure gets gummed up.

IQ CFI Fuel Pump Prime Plug
IQ CFI models feature a fuel pump prime plug. Use the fuel
pump prime plug to power-up the fuel pump when purging the
fuel system of air or when testing fuel pump pressure.
The fuel pump prime plug consists of two wires (BRN and
RED).
IQ Chassis Power Plug
IQ models (CFI and carbureted) feature a chassis power
diagnostic plug. Connect the plug to the M-10 ACE / ECUChassis
Power-Up cable, PN PA-46355 and a fully charged 12-
volt battery. The plug consists of two wires (BRN and RED/
WHT).
Once powered, all of the RED/WHT chassis power circuits will
be powered with battery voltage. The circuits include:
• Head / Tail / Brake Lamps
• MFD (Multi Function Display)
• Accessory Power Plugs
• Hand / Thumb Warmers

+++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

On the 2005 900's and the 2006 700/900's

On the 900's the Fuel prime connector is up by the steering column... next to the diagnostic link.

900pumpprime.jpg

Same prime technique...

I've also had a bad chassis power-up relay... stuck in the closed positon that caused problems. This allowed the little bit of power that was produced by the stator to bleed off thru the headlights and not allow it to start.

Chassis Relay: The chassis relay is activated by the
ECU at approximately 950 RPM. Below 950 RPM, all
power supplied by the regulator / rectifier (RED circuit)
is used to power the ECU and fuel pump.

Last edited:

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
If a person wanted to add a small lead acid battery or possibly a lithium ion battery to the electrical system to make it more stable and provide a better power source for running a GPS

Is there a wire harness that can be plugged into the open plug that sits next to the secondary to facillitate a battery.

The battery power would then go over the ignition switch and it should provide a more constant DC pwr supply to run your accesories and also the thumb and hand warmers should work better at low rpms

On a side note but very important can you charge a lithium ion battery the same way as a lead acid battery

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
If a person wanted to add a small lead acid battery or possibly a lithium ion battery to the electrical system to make it more stable and provide a better power source for running a GPS

Is there a wire harness that can be plugged into the open plug that sits next to the secondary to facillitate a battery.

The battery power would then go over the ignition switch and it should provide a more constant DC pwr supply to run your accesories and also the thumb and hand warmers should work better at low rpms

On a side note but very important can you charge a lithium ion battery the same way as a lead acid battery

Sorry I never seen the other threads on Batt hook up
disregaurd the above q's

R
Sep 1, 2001
Maple Grove, MN
This is good info but surprised it's needed? Still good info that just may help sometime.

I pulled my d7 over about 5 times after summer storage and it fired up. On the hill or after a night sitting, it's two pulls. Guess my system is all good?

I will be changing the filter and so on probably soon or at least sometime in the fall.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The prime is mostly for engine removals, fuel filter replacements, tank replacements, injector swaps etc...

For the most part, the system will not need to be primed..

The CFi is designed to start right up, even if you run out of fuel... I thought that this would be handy info for CFi people out there.

One other use for "priming the system" is to circulate gas, with summer storage fuel-stabilizer in it on occasion... run it for 30 seconds and the stabilized fuel will circulate thru the fuel injection system and return to the tank.

rab

Lifetime Membership
Dec 15, 2007
does anyone know if it will harm the pump if you repeatedly run it out of gas I know in the automotive world if you run it out of gas to much you burn out the pump which also sits in the tank

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
it will damage them just like in your autos. same type of fuel pumps. the gas lubricates them and cools them. when you run them out of gas they heat up and damage the bearings and gears. eventually ruin the pump. best not to run them out or it will get costly.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Nice thing about the batteryless CFi is that the pump will not continue to run after the engine runs out of gas... unlike in a car...

No engine run...no electricity...no fuel pump run

Running them dry is not a great Idea, but not as big of a deal as on a car/truck where the pump runs after the tank is dry and the ignition is on.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
Nice thing about the batteryless CFi is that the pump will not continue to run after the engine runs out of gas... unlike in a car...

No engine run...no electricity...no fuel pump run

Running them dry is not a great Idea, but not as big of a deal as on a car/truck where the pump runs after the tank is dry and the ignition is on.

MH, the fuel pump on a car/truck shuts off when the engine stalls. if the computer dont see a crank signal it shuts the relay off. and then only runs when cranking or for 3 seconds when turning key on. just adding more info. mechanic for 20 years and a shop owner for 3

B

BigTruck

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Dec 1, 2007
Maple Valley/North Bend
I beleive I ran into this problem last year! I was pulling a hill and accidently hit the kill switch. The sled died. It wouldnt start for the life of me. We pulled her over for like twenty minutes. Changed plugs and did all the ordinary things. Even poured fuel in the cylinders. Finnaly after some time she fired back up and ran fine the rest of the day!

I wonder if the fuel pump lost prime. Someone also said I may have ran all the fuel out of the fuel rail???

Sounds more like the pump lost prime to me???

Your thoughts??

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
TTT..

Good info for those who are getting their sleds out of storage...or changing fuel filters for the new season like i am doing..

Thanks as usual MH..

sled_guy

Premium Member
Jul 5, 2001
Riverton, Utah
Works slick. Just finished the 860 Saturday, slapped 12v to the two wires for about 10 seconds and it fired over on the second pull.

Dang cool to provide that jumper wire there.

sled_guy

R

rideh2o

Oct 16, 2001
Polson, Montana
Molex plug from Tower Hobbies incorrect part # !

I ordered two packages of the molex connectors that Mountanhorse listed above from Tower Hobbies.

That connector is way too small!

I guess I have extra connectors :eek:

RideH2o

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
rideh2o,

That connector is way too small!

Too small for what??

If you were expecting it to plug into the factory harness... no it will NOT plug into it.

Probably my bad for not being clear on that

Get a couple of the charging plugs too.. One to splice into your sled... the other to charge the pack with a 1 amp or less trickle charger..

The connectors were listed to plug into the battery pack listed in the post, not into the harness. This keeps you from needing to cut the connector off of the end of the pack.

You would have to splice the Tower Hobbies connector into the factory harness so that you can plug the battery pack into the harness.

Splicing so that the factory plug is still intact and functional for dealer service if needed.

If you are looking for the mating plug for the facory pump prime plug, I have no idea where to find that. I've seen other similar plugs, but none that match exactly.

=================
This connector fits into ....
connector.jpg

This Pack...
pack.jpg

Not into the sleds harness.

Premium Features