• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

INFO on CFI sleds Chassis Power Connectors, Relays and Grounds

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
I moved this from another post so I didnt hyjack it! :face-icon-small-win

ling:Dropped it off at the dealer after the trip and it has been at the dealership basically for the last 4 months trying to solve this bogging issues (under warranty). I get a call that they got the bog fixed (capacitor problem)

donbrown: For my own knowledge what capacitor did they have to replace? Do you have a part number and location?

The Chassis Power Capacitor, a 28000uF capacitor is mounted next to the ECU in front of the fuel tank tank on the 2005 -2006 Cfi's. (it is riveted to the bracket) and is located on the beltguard, under the cover mounted to the regualtor on the 2007 - 2009 RMK's. #3 in the pic at the bottom. can have problems and cause fuel pressure fluctions as well as ECU issues that are related to power. Part # is 4011114 and was used on all CFI sleds from 2005 thru present.

I've also had a bad chassis power-up relay cause starting problems... stuck in the closed positon that caused problems. This allowed the little bit of power that was produced by the stator to bleed off thru the headlights and not allow it to start.

Chassis Relay: The chassis relay is activated by the
ECU at approximately 950 RPM. Below 950 RPM (700 rpm on the 900 cfi's), all
power supplied by the regulator / rectifier (RED circuit)
is used to power the ECU and fuel pump.

CAPACITOR: The function of the capacitor is to act like a battery in a non-battery system. The capacitor makes the chassis side power signal stable. WIth out the capacitor in the system the unit will not run correctly. The capacitor suppresses voltage spikes and ensures consistent voltage throughout the chassis (RED/WHT) circuit.

Capacitor Testing
1. Charge the capacitor for 10 seconds using a 12 volt battery
by connecting the positive (+) lead to the Red/White wire
and the negative (-) lead to the brown wire.
2. Monitor the capacitor voltage with a multimeter. The
voltage should slowly drain down from the initial charge.
If the cap does not hold a charge or drains rapidly, replace
the component.

On all CFI sleds, remove the nut to the ground wire on the chasis each season clean the ring terminals with a scotch brite pad as well as the stud/chassis location and put re-install using electrial grease (commonly sold on the lightbulb section of your autoparts store). The Ground point on the chassis is crucial for proper operation of the engine.

Also, on All the CFI sleds, you should keep a spare chassis power relay zip tied under the hood in case that goes on you... Plus, if you ride with Doo guys, you'll be the hero when the lights and gauges stop working on thier sleds.

The symptoms of a bad chassis power relay are lights,handwarmer, instrument etc not working at all or flickering.

You can get a better than Polaris quality relay at Napa for about $15....Napa part # AR274

Relayandground.jpg

For the 2007 - 2009 CFI's
Chassis Relay: The chassis relay is activated by the
ECU at approximately 950 RPM. Below 950 RPM, all
power supplied by the regulator / rectifier (RED circuit)
is used to power the ECU and fuel pump.

Regulator / Rectifier: Responsible for converting Vac to Vdc for the chassis and battery (electric start) circuits.
Regulates voltage to 14.5 Vdc. Also supplies fuel injector “boost” power when engine RPM is 700 RPM or less.

Location of Chassis Power Capicitor on 2005-2006 900/700 CFI sleds
Capacitorlocation.jpg

08800RMK.gif

Last edited:
E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
Another question... If I want to run a GPS or radio off the sled... how easy is it to replace that cap with a battery? I'd like to have the GPS/radio powered even when the sled's off for short times... wouldn't be a huge battery, but something with a little more capacity than a capacitor.

Or is there a spot to hook a battery directly into the system?

B

benamen

Feb 21, 2008
Western Canada
Misc electrical failures

Hey Mountainhouse.

I purchased a 05 900 in January and so far the speedometer sensor, Altimeter and brake light switch have failed. When the outside temperature is quite low and you start the engine, power to the guages is sparatic as the guages reset a half dozen times before settling down.
Any idea what may be causing all the failures? I actually had purchased two of these machines and on the second machine, we have had no electrical problems whatso ever.

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Sounds like a bad relay or a wire has rubbed thru the harness in some place. Check the harness over very well... the only problem is that the Gas tank has to be pulled to do this as most of the wiring is directly behind the tank...

The voltage regualtor is also suspect.... but I'm thinking the relay... easy to check...swap the relay between your two sleds and see what happens.

Especially prone to problems is the harness from the Stator.... check this one carfully...

Most shops dont have the time to look after this stuff... dont get too crazy with tightening down the harness... you can break the wires inside of the insulation...

S
Dec 15, 2007
Hey MH, where is this chassis relay located on a 07 600 CFI. Maybe the one taped to the harness, by the fuel prime plug???? Thanks , wish the local dealers had 1/2 your knowledge.

thefullmonte

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Rapid City
Jees Mountainhorse! you've had a busy spring. Keep up the good work. So is this capacitor the FI problem everyone has been dealing with? I haven't been on here in a while. Is there still a remap for the problem or were they looking in the wrong place?
I started my summer teardown of the d8 today. By noon all I could do was shake my head. Such poorly thought out engineering. Everything I do, all I can think is that I guess "that must have been good enough".

A
Dec 11, 2007
So is this capacitor problem the cause for the horrible stutter with the D8? If so is polaris acknowledging it and replacing the problem part under warranty?

Anyone with this information would be greatly appreciated to share with us!!!

Coop

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
I doubt it... The stutter, I think, was in the programming of the Eprom in the ECU (computer re-flash)...

I hear that the 2009 sleds are using a completley new ECU, that did not even make it to the Demos/early releases out there... I think Carls Performance (Struthers/Kasel) would be the only one to know/ask.

I wonder if this new ECU will work well with the "piggy back" fuel controllers like the Attitude/Pure-Logic/Boondockers/Dobek.... I doubt that any of the turbo kit developers actually had a new 2009 ECU to base their devopment off of... I think that ALL of the dealer demo sleds and early releases had the the 2008 computer with an upgraded 2009 "style" map.... the new sleds have tightened up the DET sensor even more as well as some other developments that may make running hop up's a bit harder.

Companies like Carl's and SLP will be much ahead of the game as they are the only ones that I know of that actually re-flash the ECU with custom maps to get their stuff working just right.

Time will tell.....

I'll bet there is another reflash for the 2008's available soon... Also, the reflash costs money for Polaris to do... might not be considered a "warranty item" a good dealer should be able to hook you up.

Last edited:
A
Dec 11, 2007
Wow,

My dealer won't even do the first series of reflashes because they were ineffective here in AK. They are waiting until the problem is fully resolved. Along with this, all we get is a "Sorry," not even a "well it sucks you spent your $11k for the snowcheck and it's jacked up let us help you in any way we can." A Polaris engineer told me in April that they were testing a whole series of ECU and programs during spring riding in AK. The word on the street was the first set of replacement ECUs burned 3 motors down up here in AK, but were OK in the lower48.

Hopefully this crap gets resolved really quick. I understand there are always growing pains with new systems, BUT this is getting stupid!

Polaris IF YOU ARE LISTENING....... Fix this crap before the snow flies. (Which is pretty soon here in AK!)

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
Maybe SLP has this problem solved.... a pipe and a reflash...

They don't have to meet EPA regs for thier reflashes like the factory does so maybe they have a bit more freedom in programming.

Are there any people that you know with the upgraded SLP stuff on their sleds?

I know it sucks, but you may grow old waiting for Polaris to make this right for you.

Do some bytchen on to the area rep... maybe he can get some rusty wheels turning.

Good luck my friend.

A
Dec 11, 2007
I was told the guys that the sleds that burned down w/ new ECUs (in AK)were ones that had SLP singles and cans on them. Polaris put new motors in and put the stock pipes on which were holding up alot better. Just what I was told from reliable sources.

We'll have to see what the final recommendation will be from polaris and if SLP will have to change the resistor mod for the new flashes or ECUs which ever actually work.

A
Dec 11, 2007
From my understanding, not many engineers actually do field testing. I believe the ECUs were sent to select dealers as replacements for "factory" test mules ran by factory riders and reps. Usually you won't even know these sleds unless someone discloses that's what they are doing. Polaris sponsers select riders that test their products in different regions and conditions for them.

Check out the videos w/backcountry riders in it and watch for the guys usually riding Polaris. These are some of the same guys that are in some of the factory videos.

Just my understanding.

jsledder

Lifetime Membership
Jul 9, 2001
SD
www.outdoorsupplyonline.com
Would any of this be the cause of the thing dying about 3 times before it'll stay running right away in the morning or it dying after pushing the reverse button? Takes a couple tried to get it into reverse sometimes.

MH, Polaris should send you a big fat check for all this customer service and experience your taking care of for them. THANKS!!!

guidoxpress

Lifetime Membership
Jul 13, 2008
Wasilla, AK from MT
Would any of this be the cause of the thing dying about 3 times before it'll stay running right away in the morning or it dying after pushing the reverse button? Takes a couple tried to get it into reverse sometimes.

MH, Polaris should send you a big fat check for all this customer service and experience your taking care of for them. THANKS!!!

i would imagine your sled dying when engaging reverse is for sure the TPS..it may be just on the edge of being mis-adjusted..

you can have teh dealer do it (about 1/2 hr labor) or build and adjust your own with the TPS tool in the other threads..

if it has reverse issues..its 90%+ TPS adjustment related..

Premium Features