• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Cutting out majorly at anything other than WOT ..

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
06' 900 RMK Cutting out majorly at anything other than WOT ..

Ok I don't know what the hell is going on here ....

I picked up the 900 Friday afternoon, took it for a short ride, and it worked perfectly.

Took sled to Rabbit Ears on Saturday, rode all day, no problems at all, running flawlessly ... at least for most of the day ...

What happened was, it started 'sputtering' on me just a little bit at lower RPM's ... I assumed this was because I premixed 50:1 and perhaps the plugs were fouling ... I didn't think too much of it, and went on throughout the rest of the day.

Checked the plugs when I got home, they looked perfectly fine ... they WERE brand new at the beginning of the season after all.

Anyways, took the sled up to the Uintahs today and started up the mountain, everything is just fine for about an hour, then it starts doing this 'sputtering thing ... *dammit*

Anyways, needless to say, it just kept getting worse and worse, so I turned around to head back to the trailer and then all hell broke loose ... The sled would not run unless I was at WOT ...

I literally couldn't operate the sled at below 7,000 RPM ... It progressed from 'sputtering' to outright cutting out.

I checked the plugs again, they looked fine.

It kept up like that until I finally got it back to the trailer. I killed the motor for awhile, took off all my gear, then went to load it up ...

Barley started back up, started blinking "check engine" ... got it in the trailer and shut it down. I didn' notice how many times the light flashed, but I it was at least twice.

I pulled out the service manual to see how many flashes was what, but then when I went back out to the trailer again to start it up, it started up just fine and didn't throw any error codes.

The sled has a brand new TPS sensor in it.

I'm pretty much stumped at this point.... any ideas?

Last edited:
L

LongTrack

Nov 26, 2007
It does have the new TPS sensor but does it have the updated TPS wire pigtail? There was a problem with the TPS pigtail internally causing the same problem that your having. Mine was exactly that. Just my 02.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
sounds like mine did the same thing as yours did dogmeat, pretty much exactly the guy at the polaris shop said it sounded like a stator so i am replacing that now. hopefully it fixes it. mine was running pig rich is what it sounded like and i used 2.5 gallons of gas to go 11 miles. i will post if this fixes mine keep us posted.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
sounds like mine did the same thing as yours did dogmeat, pretty much exactly the guy at the polaris shop said it sounded like a stator so i am replacing that now. hopefully it fixes it. mine was running pig rich is what it sounded like and i used 2.5 gallons of gas to go 11 miles. i will post if this fixes mine keep us posted.

I don't think I'm running rich, I put about 60-some miles on the sled yesterday and only used about 5 gallons of gas ... I wasn't riding it very hard at all, I was mainly just putting around meadows and trails.

I did however smack a tree but not that hard .. put a small crack in the right fender but it didn't even really break anything other than that so I am not thinking the impact would have tweaked anything ....?

I don't know I will take it back up there again this week sometime after work and run it around and see if I can get it to throw the error codes again ...

BTW, does anyone have a picture of what the updated pigtail for the TPS sensor looks like? I have no idea if that's been done.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
bump ...

do you guys think this is a TPS-related issue?

I guess the only way to know is to build that tester and check it ...

but just for the hell of it, what if it's not the TPS?

Is there a way to check the ignition coil and/or stator to know if they're broke?

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
mine started out bogging, running rough 4500 and lower and as the day went on it got progressively worse till it wouldn't run unless at 3/4 -wot. checked the plugs and changed them twice they were very black. i have the polaris tps sensor ordered at the dealer and they are trying to find the part # for the tps repair harness no luck yet. mine is also using way too much oil and i have a new cable and the adjustment is right on so i think my pump is bad so i ordered a new pump too. if i replace enuff parts i think i will fix it :rolleyes:

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
That sounds exactly like what mine is doing except my plugs look just fine :(

I'm not using too much oil, I think I used about 3/4 of a quart in 100 or so miles ... maybe a little more maybe a little less but it doesn't seem like too much ...

I keep reading through the service manual ... I am gonna check that throttle saftey switch or whatever it is, it could have been the throttle cable loosened up or something, I don't know ...

I guess i'm just gonna have to pick a place and start going through it.

Does anybody know if there is a way to properly diagnose a bad ignition coil and a bad stator?

C

CompFusion

Dec 10, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
Aaron, have you been into the stator on your sled since new?? It's not unheard of for the flywheel inner layer to separate and start grinding on the stator wires. Only 2 weeks ago I had one in with this exact issue....intermittent problems mainly after being run for a while.

L

LongTrack

Nov 26, 2007
I talked to my dealer and he is waiting for a call from the tech line for the updated TPS wire harness part number. It is an unpublished number according to my tech. He said he should have it by noon and call me, I will post it when I get it. Might not be the problem but good info to know and look for.

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Aaron, have you been into the stator on your sled since new?? It's not unheard of for the flywheel inner layer to separate and start grinding on the stator wires. Only 2 weeks ago I had one in with this exact issue....intermittent problems mainly after being run for a while.

Yeah ... basically the whole motor was rebuilt this year.

I'm wondering if they didn't get it back together right or something ..

How difficult of fix is it to put a new stator in?

E

Ex-Member

ACCOUNT CLOSED
Mar 14, 2007
You can test a stator with a multimeter, that'll tell you the coils are good or not... same with the TPS, should have an offset at idle and go up linearly to WOT... Don't know the voltages, but the service manual should have it.

B

BIGGDAWG

Jul 6, 2001
Waverly, Iowa
well replaceing the stator is a pain just did it. you have to take the motor loose and raise it to get all the cover bolts out and you have to remove the gas tank to unplug the wires and route the wires. not bad in a garage but i tried to to it on the trailer outside and only got 3/4 of the way and said heck with it took it home and finished it. you will need a flywheel puller and basic hand tools to do it and a helper

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
I looked through the service manual and the resistances are pubished for the ignition coil and stator coils and all that stuff ..

Looks like I won't be riding this weekend :(

I'm gonna take this home with me and put it in the parents garage and see if I can get my dad to help me with it ...

I don't know I might just park this damned thing until next fall I'm honestly pretty sick of screwing with it right now :(

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Just checked the price on a new stator and/or flywheel ..

Flywheel is $350 and the stator is $250 ..

If that's the problem I'm done with the sled for the season, I can't afford to fix it right now :eek:

I'll pull it apart this weekend and see if I can tell what's wrong, if I get it back together I get it back together ... if not guess it'll just have to wait till next season :(

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
Did you check the fuel pressure??????????

No, I haven't yet.

But they did put the "warranty" fuel tank on when it was at the dealer....maybe a fuel line is leaking?

How do you check fuel pressure?

Embrace the BRAAAAAAP!
Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Where the Buffalo roam
Use fuel press gauge at fitting on end of rail on head. Sounds alot like mine did with TPS problem but.... I wish someone would pirate the "digital wrench" program!!

TRS

Life Member
Lifetime Membership
Dec 1, 2007
Cody, WY
There have been 4 here in the last two months that have had low fuel pressure and they act the same way. I would check the fuel pressure before spending money on hard parts and using the process of elimination. The 9's also had a lot of throttle body to reed boot problems, check them for rot. Your Dealer should have a guage to check the fuel pressure, or any automotive shop that has a adapter for the schrader valve on the fuel line or rail.

Premium Features