• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Best Intake for 05 RMK 900?????

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
I was wondering what you guys are running for intakes on your 900's? I was looking at the timbersled, fire and ice, and slp intakes. I want to do this to free up some space under the hood, such as the gigantic plastic intake/clutch cover, and to help reduce the heat. I was thinking the timbersled because I would prefer to keep the radiator in if possible. I am new to the polaris sled family so any help would be great. And yes I did do a search and looked at know about the pistons etc.....Thanks guys.....

AaronBND

Lifetime Membership
Nov 12, 2005
Cascade Mnts, OR.
Everybody seems to really like the Fire N Ice box the best. I have the SLP and like it to this point. As far as the radiator.........I would yank it. Mine is gone, 12lbs down and I would never look back. Overheating has never been an issue! JMO

Aaron

Dogmeat

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Feb 1, 2006
Castle Rock, CO
i'm replacing the SLP intake with the FnI one before next season.

the SLP one is crap on a mountain sled that actually sees powder.

J

JesseJames

Jan 9, 2005
I used to run a SLP, but had some problems keeping it sealed real well where the two halves met up with the factory piece you had to cut. I was also worried about hitting a tree, and taking it out. You would be kinda screwed for snow injestion then.

I also tried a Fabcraft. It looked pretty slick, but it didn't even flow enough air to keep the powervalves open. I am now running a Timbersled, and have no complaints about it. A little bog once in a while from steam coming off the pipe, but not very often. I also have vents on the front of my hood, which lets alot of cold air in the front, and vents in the back, so I have alot of air movement through the hood, so it isn't drawing so much warm air. Jesse.

Mar 25, 2004
elkford
i have the timber sled and it preforms every time even in the deep -10 pow no issues except dont use the cheap screw to hold it on use 10-32 pan head screws with lock nuts.make sure you get a pre filter.vent the hood well no issues

R

RideGuy

Jan 28, 2005
B.C.
I took the stock air box and pulled it apart and use it as a clutch cover only. Squeezed some vinyl heater duct from an auto store into the boost box and put a k & N Filter and Bag on it.... I'm verry happy with this set up for under $50. I run mesh side pannels and a Diamon S Mesh hood and draw alot of fresh air.... The stock air box act like a heat shield to prevent motor air from being drawn into the intake.... and it may pull out some clutch heat.... but negligible with the vented side pannels..... Reliable in deep Ghost Pow.... and I have a spare filter bag just incase But I havn't had to use yet. You can also run the tri city bumper with this set up.... Just installed and I Love it!!!!

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
I have a used timbersled intake I will sell you cheap ! i have tried all of the above and the timber sled is second to the fire & Ice. I cant tell much diference in perf. between it and the F&I unless its warm and I am going slow through the trees!

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
I'm running the Timbersled and have had no problems, even in the deep powder. I did add a bead of silicone to the area where the intake meets the plenum just to be safe. It helps keep the screws in place and protects against snow/dust ingestion. Good luck:beer;

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
Thanks guys for the excellent responses and pictures!!!...it seems like the fire n ice is the way to go. I will probably end up with that intake....Thanks again!!!!

J

jafraune

Dec 13, 2007
wyoming
Sorry to bother again....but what is the new updated belt for the o5 900???? I only got one with it and want to get another. I just want to make sure I buy the right one......

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
we have 2ea 900's
One has the SLP airbox
the other has the Timbersled intake

I like the design of the timbersled intake much better, as long as you vent your hood well it should get plenty of cold air

the SLP box is tricky to seal up tight and it does not have an air filter, it allows alot more dirt through then the Timbersled

I also hear great things about the Fire N Ice, but again I dont see an air filter..

both of our intake setups work well, although for the SLP intake on my sled I had to do alot of sealing up around the nose area of my sled and also to the SLP box itself to ensure it does not get air/oil/dirt sucked into the intake

mountainhorse

Lifetime Membership
Premium Member
Dec 12, 2005
West Coast
www.laketahoeconcours.com
Fire N ICE.... not because of the perfomance (which I wont discuss here).

If you get in a front end colision or poke a stick thru the front grille you are screwed as the intake will scoop up snow and debris and run it directly into the throttle bodies.

Timbersled sucks hot air from under the hood... not optimal and I belive that those that run it would have noticeable performance gains from the fire n ice..

Pull the radiator and eliminte the "T"

H
Jan 9, 2008
Woodland, WA
No more Timbersled

I'd like to change my vote on this. Rode yesterday and today in a couple feet of fresh, but semi-wet powder. Though the hood area is sealed up pretty well, I still got some snow in the engine compartment. Every time the snow hit the pipe, the intake (Timbersled) sucked hot vapor and the sled bogged...usually at a most inopportune time. Anybody have a Fire-N-Ice they want to sell?

donbrown

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Los Angeles
Who sells Fire & Ice -- webpage please :)

They only sell direct ... I have only talked to a one man.

email: info@firenice.us

phone: 208-523-1311
fax: 208-524-5532

mail: 860 Cranmer Ave.
Idaho Falls, ID 83401

http://firenice.us/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=44&osCsid=95qe321cj0ctgb7t79onck2fl4

http://firenice.us/catalog/product_info.php?products_id=44&osCsid=95qe321cj0ctgb7t79onck2fl4[/URL]

http://firenice.us/catalog/

http://www.firenicegear.com/

Hopefully one of those work.

Premium Features