• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

R U having problems getting your 900 clutch off??

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Polaris screws up again !!!!!!!!!!!!

OK, heres the deal........I have more then a handfull of 900's come in with the PTO -Ends Destroyed or the Clutch has been sawed off.

I pull a few 900 drive clutches last year and I always used my old Domestic Puller for the 800 Polaris clutch.

A few days ago a dude drops his bottom-end off for a billet crank change and he says he can't get the clutch off.........And he asks me if I have a 900 puller???

Puzzeled.......I said, Yes I do. I have used the old 800 puller.

He said he was told by a dealer that they are different, and he says he ordered one and said he would bring it in when he gets it.

So a few days later he shows up with an OLD Polaris puller from the fuji motors.

I went back and tried it........It just didn't feel right OR look right.

You could tell it was shouldering on something other then the crank.

So I called a dealer and asked the parts guy to simply order me a 900 Puller and thats all I said.

2 days later the puller comes in and..........You guessed it. SAME AS MY 800 Puller.

Went back in the shop and ask the shop guys what kind of puller the 900 takes ( they both said at the same time.........The same puller as the 800 )

so back to the shop I go, And the puller goes in but stops before it gets to the threads.

After inspecting things I come to find out that some of the drive clutches have been machined incorrectly and the inner bore of the drive clutch is too small.

Making the 800 Puller to big in the third step from the tip.

Attached is a picture of where the pulled was .040 Thousands to big.

I wonder how many clutches and cranks were destroyed by this little brain fart........

Polaris............Contracts always given to the low bidder. Nice, Really Nice. I have been F#$king with this for two days.

Oh by the way,,,,,,,,,,,after I machined the puller the clutch popped right off like an 800.

900 Puller Problem.jpg

Last edited:

mattymac

Lifetime Membership
Apr 12, 2004
Sutter Ca.
Nice catch dan! Once agin thanks for the info, not that this will pertain to me but always love reading your posts!

POLZIN

Premium Member
Nov 26, 2007
Farmington NM
Dan ,

I will have to ckeck this as mine always seemed to have alot of reistence when threading it in rather than just going in and stoping at the shoulder. Did you just machine the puller to accomadate the difference ? does it damage the clutch ?

indydan

Lifetime Membership
Nov 27, 2007
Custer, South Dakota
www.indyspecialty.com
Dan ,

I will have to ckeck this as mine always seemed to have alot of reistence when threading it in rather than just going in and stoping at the shoulder. Did you just machine the puller to accomadate the difference ? does it damage the clutch ?

Just machined the puller.

does what damage the clutch.............?????????

If you machine the puller it just works like it does on all the other clutches.

Dan

Last edited:
S

Spaarky

Oct 5, 2001
Chester, SD
Dan ... are you fed up enough yet to switch to Ski-doo Specialty or Cat Specialty??? or are you just happy they(Polaris) keep you in business(maybe I shouldnt say keeps you in business, I have a pretty goood idea thats not your bread and butter)..... :face-icon-small-coo

I

IceCap

Nov 27, 2007
B.C.
I had difficulty pulling my clutch (06 900 rmk) the last time. I borrowed a 800 puller and it seemed like it bottomed out and or just did not want to turn any more.
So reluctantly I tapped on the end of the puller with a ball peen hammer and BANG it blew right off.
After inspection of the puller the end was bent. I still don't know why this seemed to be so tight?
I think some of the problem may have to do with the change of torque spec. from polaris from 55ftlb to 96ftlbs.

Premium Features