• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

900 RMK Electrical Prob....

R

rmk addict

Dec 26, 2007
Crested Butte CO
900 RMK Electrical Prob....UPDATE ITS FIX YAY!

Hey all.....I have 05 900RMK. So far shes been running good, but yesterday i went out and lots gauges on the way out. I turned sled off, then restarted and gauges came back on. Everything else was normal....

Looked into it further today, and found no broken wires, nothing melted, and even cleaned connection on said areas such as above recoil, as said in other posts. Cleaned the ground and checked other things...

So i have no gauges, do have handwarmers, and very dim headlight. Reverse still works, but Im kinda stumped.

Not sure if it could be a voltage reg, (don't know where its located either?)
Head light doens't seem to go past being dim all the time....:confused:

Sled still idles fine, anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:
K
Nov 27, 2007
900 Rmk

I had similar problems with my 900 gauges going out dim headlight after that engine cut out a couple of times.My problem was i had fuel tank replaced and the so called mechanic forgot to reconnect the capacitor.You could also check the chassi relay some people have had stator problems

R

rmk addict

Dec 26, 2007
Crested Butte CO
interesting knoba....i haven't had the motor cut out yet. i didn't ride it much with the gauges out, so ive yet to experience to many probs. I just did the new bumper about a weeek ago, but that is the only thing the i have done to my sled this year.

im trying to keep my mind limber while thinking about this problem....thanx for the help!

C

CompFusion

Dec 10, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
anyone know if there is a way to check the relay switch?

The red (terminal 30)at the chassis relay is the regulated supply. It is switched through the relay to the red/white(term 87) to power the chassis equipment.
Check from the red/white to brown for voltage to see if the chassis relay is working properly. If incorrect or no voltage check from the red to brown (ground) to determine the regulator output. Regulated supply is also present at terminal 85 (red) to provide coil voltage to close the relay and is ground switched through the ECU.
BTW the relay is a common 4/5 pin found used to switch on driving lights and such. Shouldn't be too hard to find a replacement...I found them at my local truck accessory dealer.

R

rmk addict

Dec 26, 2007
Crested Butte CO
hey comp, i appreciate the reply. i did some more searching under "electrical problems" and came across the 07s and 08s that were shorting out at the handwarmer.

bing!! the light went on. it was the handwarmer wire on the "high" setting. lights came on as soon as the handwarmer switch was off high. thanx for the help guys.

C

CompFusion

Dec 10, 2005
Newfoundland, Canada
Right on, I've done a few of those so far this season. Didn't think it would be an issue on an older sled though. It's an easy fix...some insulating tape under the end of the element and pop the grip back on.

Premium Features