• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

06 900 RMK Radiator

Thread Rating
5.00 star(s)
M
Dec 5, 2007
Evanston WY
Looking at getting the slp air box for a 06 900 RMK. I see that it requires the removal of the front radator. The weight savings and new air box sounds great but I'm wondering if any one has had problems keeping it cool with out that front radiator.

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
no
in fact it appears to run cooler without it from what I have read

Both of our 900's have this removed, one of them has the SLP airbox.

Ditch the radiator, run the SLP airbox you will be quite pleased

Boomshaw

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2007
San Jose, California
Dump the radiator. Just dead weight unless traveling on trail at least 10mph. You will cool better than the radiator did by adding belly pan vents before and after the shock tower.

Radiator is useless in powder. Delete the dead hose loop that went to the radiator also and reroute the hoses by eliminating the three-way coupling. All coolent will flow out of the engine, through the front track cooler, through your left rail, through the rear heat exchanger, through your right hand rail, and back into the recovery bottle.

Gut (remove inner baffle and foam) your stock air box. You save at best a couple of pounds of weight up front (I weighed every piece that came out and compared to what each manufacturer said their new intake weighed) using other after market air boxes but will now draw warm air for the engine much of the time while your stock air box still draws cold dry air from the instrument console.

The Fire-n-Ice intake is another alternative to the stock box gutted and allows for your spare belt to be relocated under the hood instead of in your pack after the radiator delete. Cost is $250 though and gutting your stock box is free. With either of these choices, definitely add more intake screens at the instrument console.

There is a detailed thread on all of this on the old forum.

S
Nov 27, 2007
Idaho
Dealer had one with SLP intake and one stock and the SLP one w/o radiator ran cooler. SLP also claims around 4 hp increase with their intake. It was designed by tri city polaris I think. I have been real happy with mine, run it in tons of deep powder.

Boomshaw

Lifetime Membership
Jan 9, 2007
San Jose, California
SLP makes that claim under the "best case scenario" rule. That is, on the trail. Air flows unobstructed directly into the engine.

Powder can change that, hence the second inlet with the ability to breath under hood air when the other inlet is obstructed with snow. If it works for you, run it! To each their own. I didn't want to have to ruin a factory part to make the SLP work, but that's just me! If I bought a sled with the SLP on it, I wouldn't go through the effort to change it out until and unless I needed to down line.

sleddude

Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima WA
I went on my first ride Sunday since I put the Slp air box on and my sled ran way cooler. I did notice a small amount of powder snow on the air box that came in through the lower vent on the nose of the hood. What is everyone doing to prevent that?

Nov 26, 2007
CrawlOrado
seal up the nose plastic with some pre filter material and black silicoln

Also SLP suggests sealing up around the headlight and a few other places on your stock hood.

I only had a problem when I got my sled stuck in a ditch and the nose was pushed into the snow pretty good

Last weekend I rode powder all day long with no issue, some snow in there wont hurt the intake, its when both screens get wet and freeze you have a problem

I

Iowaplowboy

Nov 29, 2007
On the farm in Carroll County
It's extra weight you don't need. Polaris doen't put a rad in their new sleds.

I was riding with a buddy that had a post ram into his radiator and put it out of service until we could get a piple to by-pass the rad.

H
Nov 26, 2007
gillette, WY
pull the radiator and also take off all the hoses dont just loop them or put a orfice in there, just adds wieght and lets the hot coolant bypass the heat exchangers, i just bought a straight 3/4" nipple to replace the tee and the a pieace of 1"hose and a piece of 1" aluminum bar stock about 1.5" long to plug the nipple off the coolant bottle. works great, also get the fire and ice box. way better than the slp box for the pow, as it gets the air from up by the winshield,and also get the windshield intake kit and if its a 05 get the plenum offset kit, i love mine

Last edited:
F
Jan 14, 2009
Some really nice 900s out there.

I'm going to repost a few of my pictures. I have been working on it for the last three weeks on and off and added some stuff.

I now have the Skinz front bumper, Better Boards, Mountain Addictions gas rack, Craigerbuilt tunnel pack, SLP LED tail light, and SLP Rad Delete, and Gripper skis.

Have you noticed any temperature differences with the radiator deleted? I'm tossing around the idea of removing mine.

C

chunkysoup

Sep 23, 2009
Waterloo, WI
Have you noticed any temperature differences with the radiator deleted? I'm tossing around the idea of removing mine.

It all depends on how u ride. I installed the slp airbox on my sled which requires u to remove the radiator and they give u a little restrictor to put in the hose. When i ride trails i can get temps of 200 and higher which causes the engine to retard but if u run in deep snow it cools down but still runs around 170 or so. I removed the restrictor this year and i will see how that does.:beer;

G
Nov 26, 2007
It all depends on how u ride. I installed the slp airbox on my sled which requires u to remove the radiator and they give u a little restrictor to put in the hose. When i ride trails i can get temps of 200 and higher which causes the engine to retard but if u run in deep snow it cools down but still runs around 170 or so. I removed the restrictor this year and i will see how that does.:beer;

I'm the second owner of my 900 and the rad was removed by the original owner. Not sure about the restrictor, but with slidekicks installed I run 120-130 in the powder, and 140-155 on the trails. Without the slidekicks I was reaching 180-200 on trails and would pull over and put snow on the tunnel etc. Ice scratchers of some kind help alot IMO.

F
Jan 14, 2009
I'm the second owner of my 900 and the rad was removed by the original owner. Not sure about the restrictor, but with slidekicks installed I run 120-130 in the powder, and 140-155 on the trails. Without the slidekicks I was reaching 180-200 on trails and would pull over and put snow on the tunnel etc. Ice scratchers of some kind help alot IMO.

It seems like A LOT of the people that have 900's have the RMK's and don't trail ride much. I trail ride 95% of the time so I don't always have fresh powder to cool my sled down so I've been hesitant to remove it.

Premium Features