• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act - IT'S BACK AGAIN!!! AND AGAIN!!!

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
For at least the third time, Carolyn Maloney of New York City thinks she can tell us what to do. We've defeated this twice before, but with more Dems in office this year, we need EVERYONE to help send their comments opposing this or we ALL lose!!!!!

DIRECT LINK TO LETTER FORM

https://secure3.convio.net/arra/site/Advocacy?pagename=homepage&page=UserAction&id=453

Courtesy A.R.R.A

http://www.arra-access.com/site/PageServer?pagename=homepage

Legislation Designating a Massive Wilderness Area in Five States Reintroduced

Representatives Carolyn Maloney (D-NY), Ed Markey (D-MA) and Raul Grijalva (D-AZ) have once again introduced legislation (H.R. 1187, the Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act) that would designate a massive 23 million acre area across five states (Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington, and Wyoming) as wilderness. This means each of these 23 million acres would be made permanently off-limits to motorized and mechanized recreation, including off-highway motorcycles, ATVs, ROVs (side-by-sides), 4x4s, snowmobiles and mountain bikes. It is particularly important to note that the lead sponsor, Rep Maloney, represents Manhattan, Queens and Brooklyn in New York City, yet has introduced legislation that would have an economic and social impact on millions of Americans who live, work and recreate on or near the lands in question. In a particularly ironic twist, Representative Maloney and the other cosponsors will not accept emails from anyone who does not live in their districts. So, these Members seek to force the most restrictive land management on millions of Americans, but will not listen to their concerns.

This sort of top-down legislation poisons the debate and makes meaningful collaboration at the local level more difficult. Who wants to participate in complicated and time consuming collaborative processes when Members of Congress from thousands of miles away, and who have little understanding of the areas in question, introduce and pursue enactment of sweeping legislation that would make all of that hard work moot?

Click Take Action link below to send an email to your Representative in opposition to this egregious bill that would forever lock OHV use out of 23 million acres of public lands.

Direct link to letter form....

https://secure3.convio.net/arra/site/Advocacy?pagename=homepage&page=UserAction&id=453

Last edited:

snowman80

Lifetime Membership
Sep 18, 2011
ND
Message sent. Now I just hope the representatives actually get the message and understand what we do. We don't just go out with chainsaws and start cutting down every tree we see and dump anifreeze in every stream we can. What harm are we actually doing? A bunch of BS as far as I'm concerned.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont
I found it.

Sent....

I made sure I customized it so it didn't seem like such a form letter they would automatically discard.

Dear Congressman Daines,
As a member of Americans for Responsible Recreational Access I write in opposition to H.R. 1187, the "Northern Rockies Ecosystem Protection Act."

Where is the equity in allowing a certain user group to have access of public land when others are excluded, especially those that leave very little trace such as over-snow vehicles? Our beloved country is headed in the wrong direction when one user-group is allowed to block or exclude another simply because they don't like their presence. Doesn't seem like they are trying to live in peace and harmony when they are making moves that don't allow all of us to get along. There is no equity with that sort of mentality. It's these elitist mentalities that divide this country, especially when it's promoted by people on the opposite end of the country who don't have a stake in the local issues.

Why should someone from one part of the country legislate what can or can't be done to a part of the country that could possibly be in a far different corner of it.
They thrive on mis-information, falsehood and fear-mongoring that leads the even less educated in the wrong direction.

I've taken people snowmobiling that have never seen the world in that manner. People who actually disagreed with the very idea of that a snowmobile is. When we finished our day, they went away with a far different point of view and agreement that it should be an acceptable means of seeing the winter backcountry without such infringements and legislative limits.
These same people are ones who didn't know the difference between wilderness (back country) and Wilderness (A Congressionaly designated place) that actually limits users to a few modes of primitive transportation.

H.R. 1187 would designate 23 million acres of land in Idaho, Montana, Oregon, Washington and Wyoming as Wilderness. This means each of these 23 million acres would be made permanently off-limits to motorized and mechanized recreation, including off-highway motorcycles, all-terrain vehicles, recreational off-highway vehicles, 4x4s, snowmobiles and mountain bikes. The legislation would forever ban these opportunities without regard for local processes and decisions on how the land is most appropriately managed. Local citizens and stakeholders deserve a voice in land management decisions, but H.R. 1187 would apply the most restrictive management possible to an enormous tract of public lands while setting aside local collaborative processes. This is not a productive way forward.
Further, H.R. 1187 ignores the fact that relevant land management agencies already have the necessary authority to protect these lands. In fact, designating the entire area as wilderness will effectively take options away from managers as they will no longer have the flexibility to apply appropriate management as they see fit since many uses and tools and all machinery are prohibited in wilderness areas.
Thank you for your consideration.

Last edited:

Scott

Scott Stiegler
Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 1, 1998
W Mont

94fordguy

Staff member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
Yakima, Wa.
Seth, I want to make sure I click on the right "take action" link. There are dozens of them on that page.
https://secure3.convio.net/arra/sit...&cmd=display&page=ActionAlertTakenPage&id=453

Give me the exact name of the action to comment on.

Purdy please.

For some reason it didn't want to co-operate with me after I sent my comments in so I could verify the direct link and title of this action. This should take you directly to the page.

Legislation Designating a Massive Wilderness Area in Five States Reintroduced

If this link (#2 in my opening post) does not work, you can click on the first link which takes you to the home page and you will want the very first topic under "Action Needed" that reads "Take Action to Oppose Locking OHVs Out Of 23 Million Acres In Five States".

Last edited:
B

Bowfisher

Sep 16, 2011
American Falls ID
Done. How is it that these yahoos from different states can make legislation that doesn't pertain to them or their constituents, but affects us? And then they won't even accept my comments.

T

trackvs2wheels

Nov 26, 2007
Monument, CO
Done.

Seriously, if I had the chance I would literally slap this bit$h across the face and tell her to suck it. I am not normally a violent person, but crap like this gets me all revved up:face-icon-small-coo

Premium Features