• Don't miss out on all the fun! Register on our forums to post and have added features! Membership levels include a FREE membership tier.

2013 back shifting issues

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
I was just on another fourm and saw a post about poor back shifting , I'm havin the same problem, I have even installed a team tied secondary and I'm still having problems, to me now it's pointing at the primary, has anybody had roller or bushing problems that caused this problem?

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
just under a 1000, I've been fighting this for 400 miles, I just talked to a dealer and they said it could be a tps out of adjustment or moisture in it, I was thinkin primary clutch

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
My 13 with Carl's Clutching kit (springs, belly busters and helix) backshifts better than any sled that I have ever owned. You might call them about your issue.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
I've had , tried thier settup on my stock clutch , no work, now I've got a tied in there and no work. I'm a lightweight guy and I should be able to pull rs all day.
I'm gonna get my tps looked at as well.

R

rmscustom

Jun 8, 2010
How do your motor mounts and clutch alignment look? My mounts were shot at 650 miles and had problems with holding consistent Rs. Also, if you haven't, try a new belt.

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
I blew a belt at roughly 600 mile mark, when I installed carls kit, so there's a new belt in it now, btw it's a pol belt not aftermarket.

RMK935VA

Premium Member
Jan 14, 2008
My 13 will hold 8300 to 8400 RPM in deep snow on a hard pull. It doesn't drop off. It clutches more cleanly than any seld I have ever had. It backshifts on descents just as you would like. It is ideal. Maybe I am just lucky. Who knows?

tinkerjohnson

Premium Member
Dec 12, 2008
Southern utah
My 13 will hold 8300 to 8400 RPM in deep snow on a hard pull. It doesn't drop off. It clutches more cleanly than any seld I have ever had. It backshifts on descents just as you would like. It is ideal. Maybe I am just lucky. Who knows?

What elevation you riding at and what is your clutching set up

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
I just pm u tinker

Just got back from dealer, these were his notes
217 over temp fault
1477 exaust valve selenoid circuit open
1336 max det correction limit reached mag
1336 max det correction limit reached pto
2336 cyl mag knock level critical
Adjusted tps
Adjusted etc
Replaced spark plugs

Would any of this hav a effect on my back shifting issues

fastlane

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
southern Minnesota
My 13 has dropped rpm at random from day one, its not bad but enough to notice, it will pull 8350 at the start then end up at like 81on a long fresh powder pull, maybe one out of 5 pulls it will be down to 78-79, but I can go right back up and it's back to 81. Couple real long pulls it was noticeable and I had to turn out, only notice this on a long wide open fresh powder pull, Was thinking of trying a team tied with teams helix and spring, called them and he thought that would definitely help and hold rpm better, he is trying to sell a clutch too tho. Idk anyone tried this and what were the results? Mine is stock with MDS weights and primary spring.

winter brew

Premium Member
Lifetime Membership
Nov 26, 2007
LakeTapps, Wa.
How are you defining "a backshift issue"? Not regaining RPM at all?? slowly?? When on/off the throttle or under steady throttle?? How much fluctuation? How are you determining it's clutching?

S

snobyrd

Nov 27, 2007
northeast bc
How are you defining "a backshift issue"? Not regaining RPM at all?? slowly?? When on/off the throttle or under steady throttle?? How much fluctuation? How are you determining it's clutching?

Winter, as I climb in untracked pow, the rs will hit 8400 than drop of to 79-8000, if I let of the throttle and stab it again it will recover somewat.
In a way I'm not totally convinced it's clutching, there were some codes that came up on the computer, and the tps and electronic throttle circuit were adjusted, so I'll have more info after next ride.

Last edited:
P

pj8556

Jan 11, 2008
God's country
Fastlane, where is the weight at in your MDS weights? tip or base? assuming your running the drilled, allen head but where is it in the weight?

fastlane

Premium Member
Dec 5, 2007
southern Minnesota
One washer and the drilled Allen bolt in the tip. Correct me if I'm wrong but a perfect back shift would be hitting the bottom of the hill at 84 and at the top of the pull you are still at 8400. The clutch is constantly back shifting to maintain rpm just like downshifting a truck going up a hill etc.... Most pulls I don't back out of the gas and pin it again unless its a long chute and she needs a breather...

Last edited:
Premium Features