Carry on Sled: Kit for sled extraction - SnoWest Snowmobile Forum
For support please email or pm Christopher christopher@snowestonline.com

New Thread

Go Back   SnoWest Snowmobile Forum > Performance & Modifications > Polaris > Polaris: Pro-Ride

SnoWest
Register Forums New Posts Classifieds Garages

Upgrade to Premium
Polaris: Pro-Ride 2010 and up, all models in the Pro-Ride chassis

Share Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2013, 10:58 PM
Currently: learning all I can about my favorite sport
Basic Member

dustball27 is an unknown quantity at this point
Default Carry on Sled: Kit for sled extraction

Carry on Sled: Kit for snowmobile extraction

I have cabin in the mountains of Northern Idaho and I have lots of sleds that I loan out to friends, some who can ride and some who can't. In the last 3 weeks I have had to do 2 sled extractions due to buddys riding my machines off the edge of the trail.

This can easily be fixed with a 5-7lb kit that takes up no more space than a half gallon of milk. No winch, no come along and best of all no one to pay to come rescue you.

The idea is to use rope, pulleys and two snowmobiles to pull the sled back on the trail.

Kit includes:

200 ft. of Amsteel 1/8" (2400 lb test) or 3/16" synthetic winch rope (5400 lb test). 2 years ago I bought the 1/8" but I don't see it available on the website anymore. I paid $100 for mine.

2 high quality pulleys made for small diameter rope. I got mine at a commercial rigging shop.

2 10 ft. section of nylon strap or rope (strap is easier to tie off)

1 6 ft. section of nylon strap or rope

1 carabiner or shackle

The point is to use the mechanical advantage of the pulleys to reduce the weight of the sled.

First you tie the 6 ft. section to each ski of the stuck sled and put one pulley between the skis. Then you find a tree as close to directly above the sled and across the trail as you can. Tie the second pulley with one 10 ft. section of strap to the tree. Then tie one end of the Amsteel rope to the same tree.

Run the other end of the Amsteel rope down through the pulley on the sled, back through the pulley on the tree and tie it off to a carabiner or shackle. Be sure to put 8-10 knots when you tie the Amsteel rope to the shackle or carabiner because such small diameter rope with come untied under such extreme tension. (I learned the hard way)

With the last 10 ft section of strap tie the back of two of your best sleds together and space them a few feet apart on the trail. Run the strap through your shackle or carabiner to complete the setup.

You have to make sure to keep your sleds even as you pull and you should have no problems. If you are pulling the sled up a different angle than it went down you might need to shovel out a path to make the extraction easier.

In my neck of the woods they charge $300 to $500 to extract a sled and in many areas you are lucky if you can find someone to hire at all. So the cost of this kit is well worth it.

This setup can be modified to use with one tow sled, where you use 2 double sheave pulleys and run your Amsteel rope from the tree to the stuck machine twice which greatly reduces the pulling power needed to move the sled.

For those of you who like to be prepared this kit is a must have.
Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to dustball27 For This Useful Post:
550iq (02-14-2013), adamg (02-14-2013), Bossman (02-14-2013), hdkawi (12-21-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 08:07 AM
Currently: Making Feethookers!

meathooker has a reputation beyond reputemeathooker has a reputation beyond reputemeathooker has a reputation beyond reputemeathooker has a reputation beyond reputemeathooker has a reputation beyond reputemeathooker has a reputation beyond reputemeathooker has a reputation beyond reputemeathooker has a reputation beyond reputemeathooker has a reputation beyond reputemeathooker has a reputation beyond reputemeathooker has a reputation beyond repute

We used a similar method but only 1 pulley. This was a pretty steep hill that we couldn't tow up. At the top of the hill we tied a 10' section of rope around a tree and put the pulley on the end. Then we ran rope from the downed sled through the pulley to the tow sled pointing down hill. Then just ride the sled down hill as the other sled is pulled up. The sled going down hill didn't even spin the track.

Passing

Arctic Cat Proclimb, M series / Polaris - Pro, IQ Raw, Edge, IQ, and IQr / Ski doo - XP and XM / Yamaha - Nytro
http://i629.photobucket.com/albums/u...climbgreen.jpg
Price $165-$185
Rate this post: Yes | No
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to meathooker For This Useful Post:
550iq (02-14-2013), winter brew (02-14-2013), Zrider (02-15-2013)
Old 02-14-2013, 09:11 AM
Currently: Not set.

volcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond reputevolcano buster has a reputation beyond repute
Old 02-14-2013, 09:15 AM

flying frenchman has a reputation beyond reputeflying frenchman has a reputation beyond reputeflying frenchman has a reputation beyond reputeflying frenchman has a reputation beyond reputeflying frenchman has a reputation beyond reputeflying frenchman has a reputation beyond reputeflying frenchman has a reputation beyond reputeflying frenchman has a reputation beyond reputeflying frenchman has a reputation beyond reputeflying frenchman has a reputation beyond reputeflying frenchman has a reputation beyond repute
Warning You Must be a registered member and logged in to view this response.

Click Here to Register

Old 02-14-2013, 09:24 AM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 02-15-2013, 12:01 AM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 02-20-2013, 06:30 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 02-20-2013, 06:31 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 02-20-2013, 06:34 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 02-20-2013, 06:35 PM
Basic Member

Click Here to Register

Old 02-21-2013, 06:50 PM
Basic Member

scha0786 has a reputation beyond reputescha0786 has a reputation beyond reputescha0786 has a reputation beyond reputescha0786 has a reputation beyond reputescha0786 has a reputation beyond reputescha0786 has a reputation beyond reputescha0786 has a reputation beyond reputescha0786 has a reputation beyond reputescha0786 has a reputation beyond reputescha0786 has a reputation beyond reputescha0786 has a reputation beyond repute

Click Here to Register